What's new

Most overrated dvds tournament (1 Viewer)

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
I can't think of any but which dvds looked so cool with supposingly great video and audio and the best extras but when you got it home, it did not look like how you tought it was.

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I think that this one would work better as a straight forward poll rather than a tournament.
-Matrix , The extras on this disc where not all that impressive in view of all the hype this dvd gets. Also the 5.1 soundtrack sounded a little on the flat and compressed side next to the laserdisc. Not a bad dvd at all, but not one of the alltime best either.
-Superman , While Warner went all out on the bonus features, they did not even bother to include the films original soundtrack. Plus the cut of the film is not the original.
-Kubrick Collection V.2 , Sure the new transfers where a vast improvement. But once again Warner shat all over the soundtracks of classic films and did not even have the decency to include the non bastardized mono tracks.
-The Cell , Often referred to as a reference disc for picture quality. Sure the colors are beautiful, But the image has way too much artificial edge enhancement, rendering the picture on the glittery and harsh side.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
I think that this one would work better as a straight forward poll rather than a tournament.
I agree with that 100%, I don't think this is a good tournament topic.

I also agree that the new Kubrick Collection is overrated. The video quality was an improvement, but there are almost no extras at all.

Josh_Hill

Screenwriter
Brian, those are insane choices! All those are reference discs.

I think Shrek is a horribly overrated disc. 11 hours my ass!

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
No Donny, Those are not insane choices.
How on Earth can you call The Cell a reference disc ?? Are you really unable to see the excessive halos and harsh contrasts in this ugly overrated transfer.
The only way one can consider the pure folly of what Warner did to the soundtracks on the Kubrick films to be a reference presentation, is by completely by lacking any respect or knowledge for the filmmakers original intentions.
Superman, Yeah just wonderful, Let's pump up the sound effects to the lame-ass extremes of modern films and bury John Williams wonderful score underneath a plethora new foley effects and gimmicky surround effects.

Jefe Noche

Stunt Coordinator
For what it's worth, I think your points are valid, Brian.

I guess I'm not much of a purest, because I really dig the remastered soundtracks on the Kubrick collection. I agree that the mono tracks should be offered though.

I was a little disapointed in Bram Stoker's Dracula-Superbit. It just seems a bit on the soft side. Although the audio is exceptional.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Well in order to decide what is overrated, we must first see what has been heralded as a great DVD Release.
For that, might I suggest clicking the second link in my signature to see the Top 100 DVDs results as based on the public vote from last December. :)

Josh_Hill

Screenwriter
I consider those 3 choices of yours Brian to be among the best DVDs around. Oh well, to each his own.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
-Superman , While Warner went all out on the bonus features, they did not even bother to include the films original soundtrack. Plus the cut of the film is not the original.
First, the 2.0 stereo track could not be included due to the different running time. Second, the extra footage was put back into the film at the request of Richard Donner. The reason why only the director's cut of Superman is on the disc is for the same reason why only the restored version of Lawrence of Arabia is on DVD.

As for some overrated discs...

Fight Club (The transfer is great, but it's not perfect like it's been hyped up to be. I saw several white "spots" on the image from time to time.)

Ben-Hur (The image is cropped vertically from 2.55:1 to 2.75:1...and it has some strong color, but has many problems with it. WB needs to restore this film and transfer it from 65mm to video in the correct aspect ratio!)

Shrek probably gives you 11 hours of extras if you include the DVD-ROM material. (and if you go really slowly...)

Steve Enemark

Second Unit
Superman , While Warner went all out on the bonus features, they did not even bother to include the films original soundtrack. Plus the cut of the film is not the original.
Amen to that. Superman was the most disappointing DVD's I ever bought. That may sound like hyperbole, but no other DVD ever inspired me to research the feasibility of combining a laser disc's soundtrack with a DVD's picture (minus the new crap) and burn it onto a DVD-R. (It's a work in progress, BTW)

Ron Eastman

Second Unit
I've always thought the most overrated DVDs are those with reference video or (more commonly) audio but containing a stinker of a film. All the bass in the world can't improve:
U-571 (Quick confession - I bought it too. Damn that SVS sub and it's demands for bass nourishment.)
Titan A.E. - (Ouch, got me again.)
The Haunting - (Didn't get me on this one! :D)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks