What's new

Most Episodes with no Season Set DVD Releases (1 Viewer)

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I am really enjoying OUR MISS BROOKS in the morning over breakfast and would definitely buy a DVD box set of this fine comedy. It's no I LOVE LUCY, but Eve Arden and Gale Gordon are wonderful together.

I believe there is some sort of issue with the elements which is why the airings on ME-TV are not complete and timesped nor running 23 minutes with is the usual time for a half hour show they run. I would have no interest in spending money on cut 22 minute episodes that are no different than the ones i'm recording off air.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Re Our Miss Brooks: I'm not 100% positive, but it seems to me they are using one set of closing credits for all episodes, so instead of re-mastering all the end credits, they only did it once and are using it for every episode (Except maybe the fourth season, when they changed the format).

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Re Our Miss Brooks: I'm not 100% positive, but it seems to me they are using one set of closing credits for all episodes, so instead of re-mastering all the end credits, they only did it once and are using it for every episode (Except maybe the fourth season, when they changed the format).

In Season Four, up until the last few days, they have been listing the entire cast, including episode-specific guest roles. The first three seasons just had the main cast of regulars, but the copyright date changed (and wasn't always consistent). There were a few episodes early on with a verbal listing of the guest cast, as was done with I LOVE LUCY.

mattfire64

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
I just checked the CBS Television Distribution syndication bible, and Our Miss Brooks is listed as having been transferred to HD but having only Syndication 4X3 masters. For reference, most shows that have been HD transfers in the CBS library have Network masters as well, so I find their being only syndication masters to be quite odd. I believe the western Trackdown was transferred to HD around the same time as Our Miss Brooks. For reference, Trackdown has only network masters listed in the syndication bible.

Ultimately it could mean one of two different things, it could mean that CBS remastered Our Miss Brooks at the request of MeTV/Decades and took the easy way out by transferring only syndication prints since that was all they needed. Or it could mean that syndication prints are the only remaining prints that are left of the show and network masters couldn't be located, something I wouldn't rule out considering the age of the series.

Regardless, I have to respectfully disagree with Neil's opinion stated above. The syndication bible states that the masters are in 4X3, and MeTV now airs all their programming in a pseudo-widescreen which crops the top and bottom of the image plus stretching it vertically a little bit as well. Even if the episodes are cut, I'd rather view them in a correct aspect ratio on a DVD than the butchery that MeTV applies to all of it's shows now.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
I just checked the CBS Television Distribution syndication bible, and Our Miss Brooks is listed as having been transferred to HD but having only Syndication 4X3 masters. For reference, most shows that have been HD transfers in the CBS library have Network masters as well, so I find their being only syndication masters to be quite odd. I believe the western Trackdown was transferred to HD around the same time as Our Miss Brooks. For reference, Trackdown has only network masters listed in the syndication bible.

Ultimately it could mean one of two different things, it could mean that CBS remastered Our Miss Brooks at the request of MeTV/Decades and took the easy way out by transferring only syndication prints since that was all they needed. Or it could mean that syndication prints are the only remaining prints that are left of the show and network masters couldn't be located, something I wouldn't rule out considering the age of the series.

Regardless, I have to respectfully disagree with Neil's opinion stated above. The syndication bible states that the masters are in 4X3, and MeTV now airs all their programming in a pseudo-widescreen which crops the top and bottom of the image plus stretching it vertically a little bit as well. Even if the episodes are cut, I'd rather view them in a correct aspect ratio on a DVD than the butchery that MeTV applies to all of it's shows now.

And since my days of slaving over a DVD recorder are over, (after nearly 40 years of collecting there's too much physical media to enjoy as it is) I'd happily purchase a DVD box set, even if they are syndication cuts. This may be all that exists or is likely to ever come out. Otherwise, I'll be content to watch them on Me-TV until they get retired. I'd love to see DECEMBER BRIDE turn up next!

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
And since my days of slaving over a DVD recorder are over, (after nearly 40 years of collecting there's too much physical media to enjoy as it is) I'd happily purchase a DVD box set, even if they are syndication cuts. This may be all that exists or is likely to ever come out. Otherwise, I'll be content to watch them on Me-TV until they get retired. I'd love to see DECEMBER BRIDE turn up next!

I know how you feel. Apart from a dozen or so "Grail Shows" my days as a home video collector are nearing its end. It's not that I don't want to collect anymore titles, It's the fact I have about 99% of all the titles I want, and I will only live for so long. I have willed my collection to several friends and relatives. After I assume room temperature they'll have a good chunk of their lifetime to watch the shows I'm leaving them. It amazes me what ten years of collecting can get you. In January, 2007 I had bout 24 series (about 1,200 episodes) along with about 50 movies and 4 Serials (The three Flash Gordon serials along with Buck Rogers). If I only knew what my collection would like ten years later. I do have one thing to say, there's never a night in my house where I look over a TV guide and groan "There's nothing good on TV tonight!" :rolling-smiley::laugh: I still will logon to this board and comment on whatever all of you comment on a subject. Cheers everyone! :cheers:

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I know how you feel. Apart from a dozen or so "Grail Shows" my days as a home video collector are nearing its end. It's not that I don't want to collect anymore titles, It's the fact I have about 99% of all the titles I want, and I will only live for so long. I have willed my collection to several friends and relatives. After I assume room temperature they'll have a good chunk of their lifetime to watch the shows I'm leaving them. It amazes me what ten years of collecting can get you. In January, 2007 I had bout 24 series (about 1,200 episodes) along with about 50 movies and 4 Serials (The three Flash Gordon serials along with Buck Rogers). If I only knew what my collection would like ten years later. I do have one thing to say, there's never a night in my house where I look over a TV guide and groan "There's nothing good on TV tonight!" :rolling-smiley::laugh: I still will logon to this board and comment on whatever all of you comment on a subject. Cheers everyone! :cheers:
Regulus . I'm curious , how many unreleased "grail shows" do have at this point that you think have a chance ? I still have quite a few, but not many that will actually see a release !

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member

Dear Regulus:

I can't tell if that's a good thing or a bad thing. It's like saying there's no more mountains to conquer. There's little on current television that gets me excited. Today's programs don't seem to have any heart, but maybe someday things will turn around. I still hope for more Holy Grails, though the likelihood seems less and less.

James

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Regulus . I'm curious , how many unreleased "grail shows" do have at this point that you think have a chance ? I still have quite a few, but not many that will actually see a release !

One can never know what are the odds against a show getting a release on home video. When I began began collecting TV Shows, movie, serials and other programming ten years there were hundredsof series we all thought didn't have a snowball's chance in H-E-(Double Hockey Sticks) of getting a release. High-Profile Shows such as Batman, The Six Million Dollar Man/Bionic Woman, The Wonder Years, along with obscure shows such as Ripcord, Wide Country, and Medic along with hundreds of others. But suddenly, lo and behold, they are coming to a store near you. The first DVD box set I purchased was, prior to being released a "Grail" but in this case it was a show I hadn't seen on TV in decades. Way back in 1965 this show had the honor of being the show that introduced me to what became my favorite genre, science fiction. In the summer of 2002 when I read in the newspaper that the Gerry Anderson "Supermarionation" show Thunderbirds along with four other Gerry Anderson shows was getting released on DVD during the holidays I let out a yell that, in spite of being inside of my house my mother, who was talking to a neighbor across the street heard clearily! She immediately ran back to the house, when she entered the house I showed her the article. On the day the T-Birds show went for salr I went to my local Best Buy and "Relieved" them of a set, my mother purchased the other four shows, which I got for Christmas. What will be the next "Grail Show" to be release? Heaven only knows, but bear in mind the last "Grail"that was released was a rather obscure little TV show called Chopper One. I'll be hanging loose, but when the next Grail" comes out you'll all be the first to know. :D

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Looking again at the list, 29 of the 42 shows are all or mostly all in black and white. I think that at this point we can conclude that the odds are pretty poor that we will get any of those. As we get further and further away from that era, the market has pretty much dried up as it probably is for even shows from the early color era of the mid-60s. I would say the only hopes now would lie with Warner Archive or CBS BOD (provided its a show they created masters for at some point).

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Looking again at the list, 29 of the 42 shows are all or mostly all in black and white. I think that at this point we can conclude that the odds are pretty poor that we will get any of those. As we get further and further away from that era, the market has pretty much dried up as it probably is for even shows from the early color era of the mid-60s. I would say the only hopes now would lie with Warner Archive or CBS BOD (provided its a show they created masters for at some point).
Interesting that many of these shows (Life Of Riley , People's Choice, Wild Bill Hickock, etc., etc. ) have never had a release in any format going back to Beta ,and VHS . I'm not sure why .

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Yearly update. Not much change from last year with only The Defenders dropping off the list.

Lassie - 587
Ozzie and Harriet - 435
G.E. Theatre - 293
Burns and Allen - 291 (including 1st 2 live seasons)
Dragnet (1950s Version) - 276
Fireside Theatre - 268
Jack Benny - 256 (also includes live episodes)
Life of Riley (Bendix) - 217
The Millionaire - 207
77 Sunset Strip - 205
The Lineup (a/k/a San Francisco Beat) - 201
Love That Bob - 173
Empty Nest - 170
Adventures of Rin Tin Tin - 164
Step By Step - 160
Bachelor Father - 157
December Bride - 157
Cold Case - 156
Sheriff of Cochise/U.S. Marshall - 156
Ben Casey - 153
Trapper John M.D. - 151
Chicago Hope - 141 (was released overseas)
Judging Amy - 138
Hawaiian Eye - 134
Our Miss Brooks - 130
Four Star Playhouse - 129
The Gale Storm Show (a/k/a Oh Susannah) - 126
My Little Margie - 126
The Steve Harvey Show - 123
Yes Dear - 122
I Led 3 Lives - 117
Whirlybirds - 117
Head of the Class - 114
One on One - 113
Wild Bill Hickok - 113
Amen - 111
The Hogan Family - 110
Kit Carson - 104
The People's Choice - 104
Private Secretary - 104
The Farmer's Daughter - 101
Unhappily Ever After - 100

Yearly update and not one show has dropped off the list from last year. I hate to say it, but it may be game over for all of these shows on DVD.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
A more recent series can be added to the list. The Tyler Perry sitcom Love Thy Neighbor ended last year after 5 seasons and 118 episodes. Perry's previous sitcoms received partial (House of Payne) and full series (Meet the Browns) releases, but so far there's been nothing done for this series.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Yearly update and not one show has dropped off the list from last year. I hate to say it, but it may be game over for all of these shows on DVD.

Disappointing that there's been no movement on any of these series, but at this point I'm not surprised. Still, I'd gladly purchase about 20 of the shows from the remaining list if they were ever made available.

tsodcollector

Supporting Actor
Real Name
matthew baduria
maybe,unhappily ever after,the steve harvey show,will be great,maybe cold case,with all the original music,but it's not likely,same goes for chicago hope,again music rights,are very expensive,the later two television dramas might not happen ,due to music rights troubles.but my guess will be unhappily ever after and the steve harvey show,will get a tsod releases,getting very close,also the parent hood,with robert townsend,have 100+ episodes,might get a tsod releases.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
And since my days of slaving over a DVD recorder are over, (after nearly 40 years of collecting there's too much physical media to enjoy as it is) I'd happily purchase a DVD box set, even if they are syndication cuts.

Very true! Even syndie cuts give you something to remember (and wouldn't you rather have something than nothing at all?).

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Yearly update. Not much change from last year with only The Defenders dropping off the list.

Lassie - 587
Ozzie and Harriet - 435
G.E. Theatre - 293
Burns and Allen - 291 (including 1st 2 live seasons)
Dragnet (1950s Version) - 276
Fireside Theatre - 268
Jack Benny - 256 (also includes live episodes)
Life of Riley (Bendix) - 217
The Millionaire - 207
77 Sunset Strip - 205
The Lineup (a/k/a San Francisco Beat) - 201
Love That Bob - 173
Empty Nest - 170
Adventures of Rin Tin Tin - 164
Step By Step - 160
Bachelor Father - 157
December Bride - 157
Cold Case - 156
Sheriff of Cochise/U.S. Marshall - 156
Ben Casey - 153
Trapper John M.D. - 151
Chicago Hope - 141 (was released overseas)
Judging Amy - 138
Hawaiian Eye - 134
Our Miss Brooks - 130
Four Star Playhouse - 129
The Gale Storm Show (a/k/a Oh Susannah) - 126
My Little Margie - 126
The Steve Harvey Show - 123
Yes Dear - 122
I Led 3 Lives - 117
Whirlybirds - 117
Head of the Class - 114
One on One - 113
Wild Bill Hickok - 113
Amen - 111
The Hogan Family - 110
Kit Carson - 104
The People's Choice - 104
Private Secretary - 104
The Farmer's Daughter - 101
Unhappily Ever After - 100

It's been ~4 1/2 years(!) since your last update...

Unless I'm missing something there've been a *few* releases since then, though not nearly enough IMHO:
Ozzie and Harriet - which at this point has hit the ground running and looks like it's truly in for the full run.
Step By Step - The *entire* series from WB (that one surprised me more than finally getting O&H).
My Little Margie - Only a single season but...
Head of the Class - 4 seasons w/1 to go (any bets on it showing up since it's the one without Hessman?)

That's all I recognize - there may be a few others. There are *many* on that list I'd purchase day-of-release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks