What's new

More Universal Horror Boris and Bela (1 Viewer)

Mario Gauci

Senior HTF Member
It figures that Universal have finally decided to release BLACK FRIDAY (1940) on DVD given that I've only recently gotten hold of it on DVD-R:frowning:! Maybe I should seek out THE BLACK ROOM (1935) next so that Sony will announce it as a legitimate upcoming DVD release in the next week or two...:)

Seriously, though - it's funny that, owning all but one of of these already in one home video format or another, I'm still elated about this "Franchise Collection" and I'll definitely be purchasing it when the time comes. How sad is that?

Actually, I've yet to add any of Universal's various "Franchises" to my collection and I'm particularly looking forward to picking up the Gary Cooper one since it includes 5 wonderful films including 2 I've never watched before - PETER IBBETSON (1935; named by Luis Bunuel as "one of the 10 best films of all time"!) and BEAU GESTE (1939).

Besides, I've been on the fence about getting any of Universal's "Monster Legacy" two-discers until now but, I guess, with this new addition coming up, I'll break down and give in:)!

Such is the life of us poor DVD addicts...erm, collectors.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Regarding Murders in the Rue Morgue, there was an interesting article in Video Watchdog a few months ago indicating that the film had been the victim of tampering and that things were reedited either prior to release or early on in release so they no longer made sense; it's apparently possible to reassemble it so it's more coherent though obviously there's enough material missing that no 'director's cut' is possible.

Matt Stieg

Stunt Coordinator

This is a myth. The "re-editing" in question refers to the first two scenes in the movie; the carnival scene and the scene where Lugosi picks up the prostitute and takes her to his lab. Apparently, film historian William K. Everson believed it was Florey's intention to show the prostitute scene and subsequent "operation" in his lab FIRST, then show the carnival scene afterwards. The original shooting script survives, however, and shows the film was edited the way Florey intended.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Announcement at DVD Times :

Universal Studios Home Video have announced the Region 1 DVD release of The Bela Lugosi Collection for 6th September 2005 priced at $26.98 SRP. This franchise collection packs 5 films on to 1 DVD18. Murders in the Rue Morgue, The Black Cat (1934), The Raven, The Invisible Ray and Black Friday are presented in 1.33:1 Full Frame with English DD2.0 Mono audio and optional English, French and Spanish subtitles. Bonus features are limited to theatrical trailers on 3 of the 5 films (The Black Cat and The Raven miss out).

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

Dammitt! I knew Universal would screw this up somehow. Why do they constantly feel the need to use double-sided discs. I guess I won't be buying this either.:angry: :angry:

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson

What? You're kidding me, right? You're not gonna buy it just because each film isn't on its own disc with its own individual keepcase? The films will probably look and sound better than they ever have before, and if they're using DVD-18s, the compression should be fine. The online retailer price for 5 classic Universal horrors will be even cheaper than the already cheap $26.95. You're only cheating yourself.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm going to buy this, and fully expect to exchange a minumum 5 times in order to get a flipper that works on at least one of my 3 players. Universals DVD manufacturing plant for double sided disc's is the absolute shits, and I have not seen any improvement since the first Abbott and Costello franchise release came out. They are also the only company to put out double sided discs that I have a problem playing, and the problem is almost always at the layer change which causes the picture to do the funky chicken and stop, you than have to go to the next chapter, and rewind (is this the right term for DVD?) the film to get it after the layer change so you can watch it.

Otheriwse, when they work, they are typically great value with great picture quality at a cheap price.

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
It is a bit frustrating that the two-disc set for the Hammer movies costs just three dollars more than this one-disc set. They could have put out two one-sided discs for a little bit more money.

I do commend Universal for putting out some of the best values around for movies. Their fall lineup is very exciting. I just wish they'd have more of Warner's style.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

Not at all! See Adam's post above. I have yet to purchase a Universal double-sided disc that worked all the way through. It will take me 6 months easy to watch all these films, and if I don't find the problem within 30 days, I'm stuck. Go back and read through some of the threads about past Universal releases on dual-sided DVDs, and you'll find countless people with problems. My confidence in dual-sided, dual layer discs is absolutley ZERO.

I've never had a problem with a single sided disc. If this was on 2 single sided/dual layer, I'd pick it up in a heartbeat. It would also fit in thin dual case, so you're not losing any shelf space.

Universal only covers the extremes and never makes logical decisions. They could've easily done this on the Marx brothers set, but they spread those films on to 5 discs, which was extreme in the other direction (..and no extras). They could easily fit those on to two or three (Maybe even one like Bela).

On top of that, I hate handling double-sided discs, and they're more likely to be damaged.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
The five films run a total of just over five hours so, if people can, they should just try and watch them as soon as they get them. I've never had a problem with Universal's discs (knock on wood) so I'm not too worried.

This is certainly the best horror news so far this year. I can retire that R4 Karloff Collection now. :)

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
It's great to come home, turn on the computer, and get a release date for this set, but also discover that Universal seems to be waking up! :) In addition to this set, I am eagerly awaiting their Hammer Horror Collection, as well as the 2 disc, SE for THE STING (at last!!) :)

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Maybe I'm lucky, but I didn't have a single problem with any of the Universal flippers in any of the A&C, Francis, or Kettle sets. I certainly liked the space saving nature of their packaging.

This Bela/Boris collection will be a welcome addition. Major kudos to Universal for putting this out. Who knows maybe there is hope for the Rondo Hatton Franchise Collection after all :) (just kidding; I know this isn't likely to happen).

Steve

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully, Universal will just continue with more generic collections like UNIVERSAL HORROR COLLECTION VOL. 1, VOL. 2, etc.. to get the films out which don't really merit their own individual sets. However, with 6 films in the Inner Sanctum Series, I'd love an INNER SANCTUM COLLECTION!

By the way - I've not had any disc problems either with Abbott & Costello, The Monsters, Ma and Pa Kettle, Francis, or the Airport films. But the question is -- how will any future DVD players react...?

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
EXCELLENT cover and menu shots...those are some of the best Bela pics I've ever seen. But, to be fair to Boris, I really do think this should have been called a Lugosi/Karloff Legacy Collection...perhaps leave off MURDERS IN THE RUE MORGUE and pair it up with ISLAND OF LOST SOULS as a Lugosi double-feature. But, such a tiny little quibble. I can't wait to pick this up.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
I for one am happy to see Universal abandon that horrendous green design from the Legacy sets. The Lugosi set looks quite elegant by comparison.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I'd rather see them be consistent and keep the Legacy collection packaging. They sort of kept it on the Hammer set but changed to a sickly brown color, but basicly the same design. I have a feeling that the Lugosi collection only being 1 disc had a lot to do with the radical new change.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I think it's very disconcerting to see that Boris in nowhere to be found on the packaging or on tbe menus. Hell, he's the star of three of the five movies here; Bela's only star turn in the teamup films is THE RAVEN. He's barely a bit player in BLACK FRIDAY, which is a Karloff vehicle all the way.

Having said that, I do like the packaging, and am looking forward to getting this set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks