What's new

more reciever help needed (1 Viewer)

Reid K

Stunt Coordinator
Okay going through this weeks flyer i found some more possiblities. The following 4 iam considering
1. kenwood vr6070 (800 canadian)
2. marantz sr4300 (547 canadian)
3. Denon avr1603 (647 canadian)
4. Yamaha rxv730 (797 canadian regular 1000)

What do you guys all think? Are the kenwood and yamaha worth the extra dough? Right now these are the main considerations because a decent HK here is too expensive for my 16 year old tastes, and most upper models of marantz and denon are also too expensive. For instance the other marantz they have is 1200 canadian, and iam only prepared to go up to 900 canadian max. So which of these 4 do you think is the best overall reciever?

Ian_A

Agent
Reid,

The Yamaha, Denon and Marantz all provide about the same rated power output with the Kenwood being rated a little more. The Denon is the only receiver that does not offer preouts to add external an external power amp for the future. The Marantz is the only receiver you mentioned that does not provide component video switching. The Kenwood has a bandwith 10 Mhz, Yamaha is 30Mhz and the Denon is 27Mhz.
Component Video Bandwidth

The bandwidth available to send component video signals to your receiver. You'll need bandwidth over 10 MHz to pass on progressive-scan video without noticeable softening of the picture. And for HDTV signals, you'll need bandwidth in the upper 20s or higher to avoid noticeable softening of the picture (with most TVs).
Just thought I would bring up a few things to consider when making your purchase. The Denon, Marantz and Yahmaha are were all on my list a year ago. I feel they are all worth a look and have there own strengths. Denon has a model the 1403 which would be about $100 less than the 1603.

The best thing to do is get out and listen to all the receivers you may be considering and take it from there.
They will all have there own sound also take some of your own music and DVD's as this will help as you are familiar with the material. Last I would not rule out the H/K if they have the sound you like they are good receiver also. The AVR125 can be had for $600, that was a boxing day price but I'm sure you should be able to do something close to that.

Ian

Reid K

Stunt Coordinator
so from what you are saying by going by stats the yamaha is the superior? Also the HK 125 or whatever doesnt have 6.1 surround which would be nice to have since Iam only 16 so I cant afford to upgrade on a consistant basis.

Ian_A

Agent
I picked on the Component video switching only. If component video switching is an item you will never use then it is a not factor. The fact that the receiver you buy now may be part of your system for a long time I would look at possible future upgrades.

Reid K

Stunt Coordinator
so what are you saying I should look at other recievers? Or down the road I will still have to upgrade? Also I will use the Component since that is what my xbox uses. If you had to pick one of those 4 just going by stats which would you take?

Ian_A

Agent
You will upgrade one day just how long from now is anybodies guess. I'm saying that most likely you are putting together a system I don't know what you have or what is your list of priorities.
When I bought my receiver I know I'm going to have it a while so I looked and found something I will be happy with for sometime which had as many inputs so as my system has room to grow without replacing my receiver. I now have to upgrade my 20 year old speakers and a 15 year old TV.

Component Video is likely from your DVD source to your TV. it has 3 cables from the source to your display one for each colour projector in your TV. The X-box is most likely composite the single yellow RCA connection. I think the X-box can use optical connection for your audio. If you have a DVD, player and the X-box you will use 2 of your digital connections. So compare the receivers you mentioned figure what your needs are and give them a listen that is the best way to find out. I will give you one more suggestion for a receiver to look at the Sony STR-DA1ES on the Sony site it is $799.00. I have seen alot of people on this forum with the Sony ES line and they like them but there DE line of receivers are not in the same class.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Reid just so you know I ahve found the Yamaha RX-v1300 in canada for 1099. thats a good price ont he unit, and compared to the regulat price of the 730 you were loking at it might be worth considering.

mike_doyle

Agent
and if you dont mind getting a demo model you can get a great deal on H/K products here in Canada. I paid $680 taxes and shipping to Ontario included for an AVR 320.

email [email protected] if you are interested. They will sell anything on the Harmanaudio.com website for the US price times 1.6 to get Canadian price.

Just so that you dont rule Harman out on price alone.

Mike

Reid K

Stunt Coordinator
I have narrowed it down to the yamaha and kenwood and Iam just wondering one thing. How big of a deal is THX select, and 25 more watts per each channel? Those are the things the kenwood has that the yamaha doesnt. the yamaha have discrete high current amplification, better ability for transfering compenent, and built for 6.1 surround. So how big of a deal is 25 more watts, THX select, high current amplification?

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
I have narrowed it down to the yamaha and kenwood and Iam just wondering one thing. How big of a deal is THX select, and 25 more watts per each channel? Those are the things the kenwood has that the yamaha doesnt. the yamaha have discrete high current amplification, better ability for transfering compenent, and built for 6.1 surround. So how big of a deal is 25 more watts, THX select, high current amplification?
THX Select is really nothing special if it was THX Ultra then I'd say go for it, also 25watts additional will make a negligable difference maybe 1db if that nothing you'd really even hear. They Yamaha has a very nice low impedance high current drive amplifier which means that one its got alot of power to spare, 2 it will drive just about any load you could throw at it without breaking a sweat. I really like Kenwood's car audio not a big fan of there home stuff I'd personally take the Yammy over the Kenwood.

Current in real world terms means bass the more current the better the bass and more real power the amplifier has. Basically you can take a low line Sony thats rated @80 WPC but is a low current amp its gonna have major breakdown in sound quality especially in low frequency response the louder you turned it up. So to run a speaker like a Klipsch reference series off that would not work to well it just wouldnt have the raw power to drive it where if you took a Yamaha rated at 75 WPC it would damn near blow you out of the watter driving the same speakers. In reality Companys should rate in Current/Amperage not Wattage to relate the true capabilitys of there amplifiers.

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
one more thing a component cable does NOT represent the different color guns in a big screen they are merely colored RGB to make it easy to discern them to hook them up correctly. For a better explanation check out this site.

http://members.rogers.com/4dtv/hdtv/dif.html[/url]

Reid K

Stunt Coordinator
So iam confused again can someone just answer these question dealing with the kenwood, and Yamaha.
1. Is THX select, and 25 watts more per channel a big deal?
2. What does high current amplication do?
3. Which reciever will be better for sending picture through (for component high definition)

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
ok heres your answers
1.) No & No, THX Select isnt anything special, Ultra is select no, 25watts will make a negligable difference not enough to warrant basing your descision on this.

2.) High Current amplification means you'll be able to run larger speakers off it and still get great sound.

3.) They Yamaha will be the best due to it haveing the widest amount of bandwidth (or largest pipe) for the video signal.

Reid K

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you so much for answering those questions. Since I will be getting some tower speakers, and using component that pretty much guarantees my yamaha. Thank you so much. Everything is finally coming into place, now all I have to do is empty the bank account lol. Thank you again, and thanks to everyone who has helped with all my numerous questions it is very very appreciated. Also sorry if I got annoying, but thank you so much iam so grateful.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oussa13
Recent bookmarks