What's new

Help me choose between these receivers (1 Viewer)

Chad Sunderland

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, I'm looking to upgrade my Yamaha HTR-5460 for something that has more digital inputs, and Dolby Pro-Logic II capability. The receivers I am looking at are the Marantz SR-7300, the HK AVR-525, and the Yamaha RX-V1300.

My current Yammie is my first receiver, and was leaning heavily towards the RX-V1300, but there is a few things I don't like about it. First...it just doesn't seem like it has enough power. When listening to 2-channel stereo I have to crank it up to -35 to get "comfortably" loud. After that, I have to get it to about -15 if I really wanna rock...and I just hate driving it that hard. So, my question is...are Yammies a little underpowered, or is this just what I should expect from any of the recievers in the price range I am looking? Another thing that doesn't really trhill me about the Yammie is, it sounds rather boring to me...it's not that I find it too bright, or too dull...just kinda boring and lifeless when listening to music.

I primarily use my reciever for HT, about 70/30, and I am totally happy with Yammie HT performance. But...I am a much more critcial music listener, and would prefer something that handles music better, even if it does bring my HT experience down slightly.

So, right now the only reason the new Yammie is on my list, it that I have heard that the newer models have a more lively sound for music...can anyone give me anymore input on this? The Yammie has been reliable as can be, and the features to price ratio is by far the best, so I don't want to knock it out of consideration.

One thing my next reciever needs is at least 3 toslink optical inputs...when looking at specs, the Yammie lists 5, the Marantz 4, and the HK 3. But, when I look at pics of the back panel I find one less toslink input that listed for each unit, am I missing something here??? If not...the HK will be ruled out, because I need 3...preferably 4.

So...I know I've done a lot of rambling, hopefully someone can give me pros and cons on the recievers I have listed. Also, feel free to suggest recievers not on my list, I am not interested in Pioneer or Sony though. Also, take into consideration my speakers are Axiom M22 mains, Qs4 surrounds, and a VP150 center, and if I get a reciever with 6.1 or 7.1 capability, I probably will add a speaker or 2 in the future. Also, the most I would like to spend is around $800, I'm hoping I can find the recievers on my list at that street price. Thanks
Chad

Jose G

Supporting Actor
I say go with your gut which seems to say: Let me look at the Marantz SR-7300 and the HK AVR-525. Those missing inpus I'm pretty sure might be on the front of the the units- take a look at the front panels. This might not be where you want them, though. The only true way to decide between them is to listen to them as much as possible with the same speakers and the same settings- not always that easy to do, I know. You can always get them with a 30 day return, test them out- make sure to have them both at the same time at one point, and return the other once you're convinced it's the right choice. I'm sure of you do a search on this forum on both receivers- you will pick up a lot of info. Personally- The HK's musical character won me over, but I've never heard the specific Marants you list and I know they are also very good for music. Glad to hear you are "a much more critcial music listener," because I always say: "It's all music- so go music."

Chad Sunderland

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the help, AND for making me feel like an idiot :D . The inputs I was overlooking are on the front of the units! I just didn't even look there...to busy searching the backs! Having both units at the same time is definately good advice, I may see if I can pull this off. The HK will give me no trouble, I can pick one of those up at Circuit City, and they have a great return policy. The Marantz on the other hand will be a little tricky. I can find NO Marantz dealers within 2 hours of me...does anyone know of a mail order place with an easy return policy that I could get a Marantz from to try out? Thanks
Chad

Raphael O

Stunt Coordinator
i am stuck too with a decision like this - i have the pioneer elite vsx 07tx right now with dd only and no dts or 5.1 channel inputs for sacd/dvd a.

i am looking into the HK avr 525 , waiting for the HK avr 7200 and my other choices are the older dsp a1 yammy.

i got a budget of $700-$800

im 65% music and 35% movies though and also a critical music listener.

im leaning more now into the HK 525 though.

jose- how is the power if the Hk you have ?what size room do you use it on?

DonJ

Second Unit
Chad,
I heard that Costco is sell the AVR525 for 490.00 bucks so I would go and take a look there.

Gene HS

Auditioning
You can buy Marantz products at hifi.com. Last I checked, they have free shipping, free return shipping, and a 45-day return period. I got my Marantz receiver there.

Jose G

Supporting Actor
Chad, my only issue with CC is their price. Unless you can get the unit price matched to let's say Costco, I would shop elsewhere. JandR.com is a good place to look. Also, with Costco the HK units I don't think are authorized; however, they have good return policy and the price is right. If the unit is not authorized, though then HK may not offer the warranty. Mmmmmm- something to think about. Do a search here on the forum on the unit of choice and you will come up with good places to purchase. Mail order is nice for the price- return policy may be an issue though with them, so do the footwork first. I did mail order from JandR and got free shipping, no tax, etc. And they are authorized.
Raphael, the 525 is a nice unit- great for music, warm. Wish I had one but lust to have one. I have the 225- as I was in a 12'x18' space with 8 foot ceilings. The power rating for this unit is 65W/ch x 2 and 55W/ch x 5. HK's give you their true power rating and are often thought to be conservative with those numbers- I agree. My unit provides plenty of sound for my space and I did't have the option to have a speaker behind me as there is a wall there:angry:

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
I am very pro yamaha so i will be a bit biased. I would definately look into the 1300. It is a great receiver and has plenty of power. Yamaha being called "bright" is a thing of the past. Listen to this year and last years model years and you will see what i mean. They are much more dynamic than they have been getting credit for lately. you are certainly not cranking your receiver at -35 db's. That is just the way the volume knob works on the yammie. it gets VERY loud after about -20db. H/K is another excellent receiver. A lot of last years models have had quality issues but this year seems to be back on track. If you use it for mostly HT definately look into the Yammie a little more. They have always been one of the tops for HT. They also VERY RARELY have any problems with their receivers, they are built for the long haul. But in all honesty, don't listen to us too much because we are all going to be a bit biased on which receiver to get. Really demo these with your or similar speakers and let your ears be the true judge. Who knows you may go with an entirely diiferent receiver. My mind was made up to get the Denon 3802 because that was a very popular receiver on this and other forums at the time. After hearing the Yamaha rx-v2200 i heard things that were non existant on the denon so I got the Yamaha. Best of luck to you and let us know which YOU decide on.

You might consider Integra (Onkyo's "high-end" line). Integra's power ratings are very conservative and they have substantial reserves which allow them to handle difficult transient peaks even when hooked to "high load" speakers. Even their lower-end models have alot of the latest technological advances so they can be easily upgraded. You'll end up paying more, but it may well be worth it. At least check them out. What do you have to lose? Right now, I'm trying to decide between an Integra DTR-8.3 and a Denon AVR-4802. Decisions, decisions.

Regards.......Peter

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks