What's new

HT build help 5.1 (1 Viewer)

Cody Moubry

Auditioning
so i want to start putting together a home theater system in my trailer, my living room is 14 by 11 feet. was looking at HTiB's and after reserching it sounds like u can build a way better system by picking ur own componants. my question is what people would sugest for good beginer recievers that arent going to require tons of cash, i guess 200 for a reciever would sound fair unless you folks and convince me to look at something better. it seems like you might end up spending more building your own system but they are much better quality and lifespan is longer. becuase im not rich i was planning on buying a reciever and center speaker first and more later down the line, would you say thats alright or is that something you shouldnt do? anyways sorry for all the questions just alot im trying to figure out, also a reciever handles everything right? i wont need an extra amp or anything i dont think. but yea thanks for the any advice u can give a noob, feel free to link other forum posts if u think it will help

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
$250 gets you the new Yamaha 377. Includes YPAO and sub trim.Buy your main pair first, not the center. Most AVR you couldn't set up that way anyway.A good basic pair of speakers is the BIC DV62.Those two would put you at $360.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
You can get a decent receiver for that 200 price point if you look around. I think that you might be looking at a good bit more money for the speakers than you might think. Most lower end HTiB will be a much lower cost once you factor in the cost of speakers. However, that being said you need to get the front left and right first like the above poster suggested. Only having a center channel won't do you much. Having the front mains enables you to run your receiver in stereo and get some decent sound.

You could also look for speaker sets. I know that several brands offer a 6 speaker set (2 main, 2 surrounds, center and sub) that is already voice matched. I've seen some of these sets go for about the cost of a decent main pair of speakers. Look up Yamaha NS-SP1800 or Polk RM6750. The benefit here is you get a decent sounding setup for about 350-400 that you can enhance as you go.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks