What's new

More hints at Star Wars 30th Anniversary DVD set? (1 Viewer)

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
Great! Thanks for that. I pre-ordered my copy yesterday from Amazon. I love rare photographs and I can't wait to see all the previously unpublished photos that will be in the book. I'm looking forward to this book a lot more than the next set of revised DVDs that Lucasfilm LTD will probably be churning out this year.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
I don't think the duel needs to be rescored with the Imperial March, but definitely the boarding of the Rebel Blockade Runner, the shots of the Star Destroyer leaving Tatooine and arriving at the Death Star, the Death Star arriving in the Alderaan system, etc.

Jonathan Kaye

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Kaye

I'm really torn about this. On the one hand, the score to Episode IV is pretty damn perfect in its own right and to listen to as a symphonic score (and is by far my favourite soundtrack of all time), yet on the other hand the lack of Imperial March moments now stand out when viewing the whole six-part saga.

I don't think there needs to be any complete rescoring, but there are a couple of key moments where weaving some of the Imperial March into the existing score (at the same tempo) could work:
  • Vader boarding the Blockade Runner - after he steps through the doorway, there are a few seconds of near silence as he looks around
  • During Obi-Wan's "he betrayed and murdered your father" bit, a few notes of the March could underscore the Darth Vader theme it replaced
  • When Leia is brought before Tarkin, during her "holding Vader's leash" bit (it's unscored at the start of the scene)
  • The arrival of the Death Star at Yavin is also unscored.
I'd be against rescoring the Star Destroyer leaving Tatooine and arriving at the Death Star, as the music played here is the Death Star theme (the former use hinting where they're going, the latter use revealing it). I also think that scoring the duel in its entirety wouldn't fit the action, but a couple of Imperial March moments as Vader says "when I left you I was just the learner" and later taunts Obi-Wan ("your powers are weak, old man") might work pretty well.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member

Which is why I believe the Obi-Wan Vader duel should be redone to keep it up to speed with the ESB/ROTJ duels (which are perfectly acceptable to me, it's just the ANH duel that doesn't hold up). Vader is a powerful force in those films, but is pretty stiff in ANH.

I also agree with Jonathan's placements of the Imperial March in ANH.
I would also add a hint of the Imperial March when Vader orders the TIE pilots to board their ships during the Battle of Yavin.

KyleC

Supporting Actor
I thought the only thing coming out for the 30th anniversary was the original trilogy in 3D?

Brent M

Senior HTF Member

Theaters aren't equipped to show the new 3D technology yet so I'd imagine it's on hold for a few more years.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
With all this talk about the music, one change I liked about Empire was that they restored all the variations of the Imperial March to the Star Destroyer establishing shots, rather than keeping the same looped one used for those shots in the original version.

buttmunker

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
so the only way to get the original 1977, 1980, and 1983 film versions is to buy this 30th Anniversary box set, right?

If I go to Circuit City or someplace, and buy Star Wars, it will not be original, but the George Lucas patented "improved version?"

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
The original, unaltered versions of the STAR WARS films are available on the two-disc 2006 DVD releases. Disc one of each contains the revised "special edition" while disc two contains the original theatrical version. Though touted as "limited editions," these DVDs should still be pretty easy to find in the store.

Nobody really knows what will be included in the 30th Anniversary release.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
I've always said that Episode III should have had the original Imperial Motif in it as opposed to The Imperial March as a good way to link the trilogies musically. That way the middle two movies share a theme for what is, at the time, a new empire.

Plus it keeps Vader's theme only a hint here or there until it gets totally blown out in Episode V, which is Vader's real coming out party.

Instead, Williams chose to use Imperial March. I dunno. If you're gonna retcon (and in Star Wars, you're gonna retcon) I say re-jigger Revenge of the Sith's score to include the original Imperial Motif, and leave ANH's score alone.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member

Actually it would make much more sense to replace the Imperial March at the end of Attack Of The Clones - it fits with your idea of a 'new' empire being seen for the first time. The end of that film is devoted to that idea.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor
Jonathan Kaye, you hit the nail(s) on the head. Those scenes are exactly where I was thinking some rescoring would be possible. Good work, sir!

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
From thedigitalbits.com:

lol Well, whatever. Seriously, whatever. I've never in my life taken Star Wars-related news such as this with so much utter indifference. If they release it, fine. I'll probably buy it. Otherwise, thanks for saving me some green, George. Maybe in 1-2 years time it'll be out on Blu-ray Disc saving me a dip.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I don't who Bill's sources at "The Ranch" are, but no way in hell are they gonna miss the opportunity to announce a big box set at Celebration IV just in time for a tie-in with The Force Unleashed game in November. Besides, in 2 years it will be time for a Blu-Ray release and they won't sell near as many copies on standard-def DVD as they would by bringing out this year. They may have been frustrated with the lackluster OT sales last year, but I still don't believe that will keep them from releasing the box set this year.

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
Lucasfilm's not passing up on the 30th Anniversary to sell the films yet again(don't have anything against that, mind you. I'm a Special Edition guy)...only this time, it'll be the first time the films come as one. No way he passes this opportunity up.

It's just too good to.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I just don't see it as that good an opportunity. The hardcore fans may spring again if there's something to differentiate it from past releases, but I don't think the average DVD buyer is going to be enticed again. You could even say, "A much improved transfer, and fixed audio"--a claim I'm sure Lucasfilm would never make anyway--and most people would say, "Eh, what I have is good enough." I think Star Wars is pretty thoroughly milked by this point, which Bill's source seems to confirm.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks