What's new

more HELP! please. What kind of T.V. is best for my needs? (1 Viewer)

ninjacarwash

Auditioning
Real Name
Kris
I already posted a thread asking about getting a new DVD player. Now I'm on a search to find the most versatile TV ever!... I'm just afraid that it doesn't exist.:frowning:

Here's the deal:

I'm living in very limited space. The room I have for entertainment is about 12'x12'. On one end there is a couch and the other end is my entertainment center so that puts roughly 6 -8 ft. between me and the display. Here's where things get tricky. I have many interests:

1) Movies
2) Computers
3) Oldschool Retro videogames (Original Mario, Sonic the Hedgehog, etc.)

What tv could I put in that situation (size and cost don't matter) that would allow me to watch movies, use it as a computer monitor, and play old videogames on it. I must add that the highest priority is the quality of the movies.(I loves me some clear picture)

If any of you could help I'd appreciate it. I've been looking for months and haven't found a solution that didn't require a huge sacrifice of either space or quality.

Thanks in advance.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Kris, please ask the question here in Display Devices, not the HD Hardware area. Thread moved. JB

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
I would recommend the Sharp Aquos 37" LC-37D90U. This 37" LCD will be ideal for your viewing distance, plus it offers 1920x1080p resolution for the highest possible PQ when watching HD DVD, Blu-Ray, Upconverting DVD's, or for a future gaming console such as the PS3. It has a built-in HDTV tuner, 2 HDMI inputs, and a DVI-I input to use as a computer monitor. This is the best 37" LCD on the market, and it won't break the bank.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Mario and Sonic aren't old school- the NES has direct-video outs, and the Genesis is stereo! That reminds me, I've gotta make sure whatever new TV I get I can hook the RF box up so I can play my Atari, Intellivision and Colecovision! :)

ninjacarwash

Auditioning
Real Name
Kris
Thanks for all the advice! I'm seriously considering the sharp LC-37D90U. I have a question about it though. All the materials I've read on it say it has a Digital optical out. I assume this would be for televison programming broadcasted with a Dolby Digital track. Does this also mean that anything hooked up to the tv via composite cables (like Vcr's, Old Nintendo's, etc.) would also be output to my reciever through this optical out?

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Hi Ninja - The optical audio output is typically used for those without a cable box, who run coax directly into the TV and need to output audio back to the receiver.

If you have a cable box, I would recommend outputting audio directly to the receiver, and not running through the TV. But yes, you could also use for old connections like VCR's and Nintendo's.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks