More codec fun (Video capturing)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott L, Jan 30, 2003.

1. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I'm capturing Conan skits onto my computer and I'm wondering which is the best codec to use. I set the Asus to capture 320x240 mpeg-2, then I convert that to Divx 5 (dual pass @ 1600kbps) and the audio to Lame 192kbs VBR. The result is ok but one thing I've always hated about Divx is when you try to advance through the timeline the whole video stops and if it does come back on again the auido is out of synch.

Any other codec options out there? I've been hearing stuff about Xvid, is that worth a try? Also does 1600kbps sound a tad high for a 320x240 video?

Thanks for any help.

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Don't ever capture to MPEG-2. The only hardware that does it acceptibly on the fly runs in the 2K range

3. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

4. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

my favourite codec for on the fly video capturing is intel's, now ligos's, indeo video ( www.ligos.com ), it generates massively large files but the quality is unbeatable. Just head to their site and download the codec. When set to quick compress has yielded the fastest compression times which is great for on the fly recording. always do make sure to check the scalability feature, it makes the image still look good even at 200% normal size.

Now I do reccomend re-encoding the file once you have it, because while the quality is superb the file size is not. but the high quality of your initial recording will help make the final product better looking.

I hope that helps you out some, best of luck.