What's new

More Big Super Audio Titles Announced! (1 Viewer)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
From Sony Catalog:
All multichannel/stereo including the Bruce Springsteen double SACD.
Janis Joplin Cheap Thrills
New York Philharmonic Bartok: Concerto for Orchestra; Miraculous Mandarin Ballet
Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band Live In New York City
For us classical fans, Naxos is getting in on the game as well:
http://www.highfidelityreview.com/ne...snumber=119012
Also, indie Rufflife has joined in the game:
http://www.highfidelityreview.com/ne...snumber=150639
Permit me to add a bit of analysis as a consultant, if you will. I think the continued falling of dominos (the smaller labels) is going to really build additional momentum for the format. Many new formats have started this way. I believe that Super Audio may be well on its way to getting established as a viable, long-term format. While I do agree that even more big titles are necessary, I am sure that Sony and Philips are doing all they can to convince more artists and labels to jump on the ship.
So, today we get Bruce Springsteen and Naxos. That is big enough news for me!
I am very happy! :)

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
Very cool news.

A local record store I frequent is planning to start carrying/promoting SACD, mainly as a result of the Stones announcement.

Sounds like the format is going to gain quite a bit of momentum this summer.

Ryan

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Every SACD related site I've looked at seems to have only jazz, classical and 70's rock... anyonbe know of any sites with more modern popular music? Or is that not available on SACD yet? The only metal SACD I know of is Manowar's latest album "Warriors of the world".

/Mike

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
New York Philharmonic Bartok: Concerto for Orchestra; Miraculous Mandarin Ballet
:emoji_thumbsup: :D
Bartok's music, along with Pagannini and Prokofiev, is the classical music I want most on a high-res format right now. Way to go Sony!
Sometimes I feel like Sony is a girlfriend: giving me so much good stuff, but sometimes I just get so angry at them. After a weekend of fighting with their stupid packaging and multiple trips to Best Buy because of that, now I read this great news about Bartok.
While I'm enthusiastic that Naxos is joining the party, I do think it's a shame that they're releaseing music that is already out there, ie, Vivaldi. I wonder if these are new recordings.
NP: Robert Fripp, Let the Power Fall, CD
Off-topic: does anyone else think that a multi-channel high-res release of Robert Fripp's Soundscapes would be amazing?

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Every SACD related site I've looked at seems to have only jazz, classical and 70's rock... anyonbe know of any sites with more modern popular music?
There's lots of pop music on Super Audio. Check out Sony's site www.superaudio-cd.com
J.Lo, Ricky Martin, James Taylor, Aerosmith, Celine Dion, etc.
As more independent labels get in on the format, we should see additional alternative bands as well although even here there has been some good titles in Europe.
Just be patient, these things don't happen overnight.
:)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
So now BMG, Warner, EMI, SONY Music, Naxos and Universal all do SACD discs.
This is from Ole Lund Christiansen, the acclaimed audio equipment designer, on Audio Asylum.
I think its is interesting to think about all the DVDA labels who now produce Super Audio CDs as well.
By the way, Naxos is a major label for classical music with many high quality performance/recordings often a fraction of the full price of a retail classical CD. Look for Tony Faulkner as the engineer on the back of the CD and you can't go wrong for around $6 per CD. :)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Lee, I read the news over on Audio Asylum. I am most excited by the idea of Janis and Bruce on SACD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks