Super Audio Reaches Gold In Europe

Discussion in 'Music' started by Lee Scoggins, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    http://www.highfidelityreview.com/ne...umber=17610285

I thought this story was interesting for two reasons:

1. I did not find Sacred Love to be Sting's best musical effort but clearly it is popular in Europe.

2. I think Sony & Philips & Universal have some nice evidence now to market to other artists to get the titles out in Super Audio. Maybe this helps Sony with any Bruce Springsteen discussions...

2. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    http://www.highfidelityreview.com/ne...umber=17610285

I thought this story was interesting for two reasons:

1. I did not find Sacred Love to be Sting's best musical effort but clearly it is popular in Europe.

2. I think Sony & Philips & Universal have some nice evidence now to market to other artists to get the titles out in Super Audio. Maybe this helps Sony with any Bruce Springsteen discussions...

3. Michael St. Clair

Where is the evidence that the SACD layer drove the sales; these are single inventory discs. Sting always has #1 records and always goes gold.

If I were another artist, this alone would not convince me that SACD would help my sales.

4. Michael St. Clair

Where is the evidence that the SACD layer drove the sales; these are single inventory discs. Sting always has #1 records and always goes gold.

If I were another artist, this alone would not convince me that SACD would help my sales.

5. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I'd rather listen to LE PASSAGE by Jenifer than SACRED LOVE....yeah, I've been ordering from Amazon France again. I'm amazed SL is so popular. I'd call it my least favourite Sting album. It's a vunderful thang if it drives SA-CD acceptance en Europa...

6. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I'd rather listen to LE PASSAGE by Jenifer than SACRED LOVE....yeah, I've been ordering from Amazon France again. I'm amazed SL is so popular. I'd call it my least favourite Sting album. It's a vunderful thang if it drives SA-CD acceptance en Europa...

7. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

The only way these sales are exclusively SA-CD related is by the fact that a SA-CD layer is present on the discs (if they are indeed single-inventory). He then talks about robust anti-piracy measures and CD compatibility in the same sentence. The CD layer is what allows piracy! And we wonder why the big record labels seem so far off from reality.

J

8. Justin Lane

The only way these sales are exclusively SA-CD related is by the fact that a SA-CD layer is present on the discs (if they are indeed single-inventory). He then talks about robust anti-piracy measures and CD compatibility in the same sentence. The CD layer is what allows piracy! And we wonder why the big record labels seem so far off from reality.

J

9. Justin Lane

Lee,

If these sales numbers bring more artists into the SA-CD fold them I am all for it, but you have been bringing up this same point forever, and we have yet to see mucho mainstream artists flock to the format. If the Stones and Pink Floyd couldn't do it, what makes you think a bad Sting album might do it?

J

10. Justin Lane

Lee,

If these sales numbers bring more artists into the SA-CD fold them I am all for it, but you have been bringing up this same point forever, and we have yet to see mucho mainstream artists flock to the format. If the Stones and Pink Floyd couldn't do it, what makes you think a bad Sting album might do it?

J

11. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

Admittedly, if it is single inventory, there is no way to break out pure SACD sales. Still, I think this has some "signal value" for the market.

Are we completely sure that SACD is single inventory in Europe? If it is not then Dan Waite's points are valid. If it is single inventory I wonder how Dan can claim they are "exclusively SACD related".

12. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

Admittedly, if it is single inventory, there is no way to break out pure SACD sales. Still, I think this has some "signal value" for the market.

Are we completely sure that SACD is single inventory in Europe? If it is not then Dan Waite's points are valid. If it is single inventory I wonder how Dan can claim they are "exclusively SACD related".

13. Justin Lane

Ok, doing some reasearch, I found out why this is not really a big deal as far as record sales goes (at least from an American standpoint, where Gold status entails 500,000 units).

Gold Record Status:

Portugal -- 20,000 sold
    Switzerland -- 20,000 sold
    Italy -- 50,000 sold
    UK -- 150,000 sold

The total sales of these "gold" albums in four European countries, is about half of what is required for a gold record within the United States.

The UK numbers are encouraging however. This also shows why Europe gets more single inventory releases than the US. With smaller sales spread out across many countires, it is feasible to press single inventory Hybrids. In the US, where a great deal of the profits are made, adding the extra expense of a single inventory Hybrid doesn't make sense from a financial standpoint as well as tying up the SA-CD pressing lines.

J

14. Justin Lane

Ok, doing some reasearch, I found out why this is not really a big deal as far as record sales goes (at least from an American standpoint, where Gold status entails 500,000 units).

Gold Record Status:

Portugal -- 20,000 sold
    Switzerland -- 20,000 sold
    Italy -- 50,000 sold
    UK -- 150,000 sold

The total sales of these "gold" albums in four European countries, is about half of what is required for a gold record within the United States.

The UK numbers are encouraging however. This also shows why Europe gets more single inventory releases than the US. With smaller sales spread out across many countires, it is feasible to press single inventory Hybrids. In the US, where a great deal of the profits are made, adding the extra expense of a single inventory Hybrid doesn't make sense from a financial standpoint as well as tying up the SA-CD pressing lines.

J

15. Michael St. Clair

I had thought these were only single-inventory, now I'm not sure.

I knew I had read something about this album being single-inventory a while back:

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/ne...umber=16937440

However, Amazon.UK does also list a CD-only version for 2 UKP less. But was it available from the beginning, or is this a case like the Dylan discs worldwide, or the european Stones remasters, where for the first several months you can only buy a single-inventory hybrid, then they release a CD-only version. Not sure...

16. Michael St. Clair

I had thought these were only single-inventory, now I'm not sure.

I knew I had read something about this album being single-inventory a while back:

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/ne...umber=16937440

However, Amazon.UK does also list a CD-only version for 2 UKP less. But was it available from the beginning, or is this a case like the Dylan discs worldwide, or the european Stones remasters, where for the first several months you can only buy a single-inventory hybrid, then they release a CD-only version. Not sure...

17. Justin Lane

This brings up another point about the whole Gold/Platnium album label. You hear from time to time this album or that album went gold or platnium in 20 countries without the sales numbers actually being mentioned. In this globalized economy, the recording industry should settle on a single definition of a gold or platnium album.

An album only requires 40,000 copies sold to go platnium in Switzerland. This album could go 12 times Platnium over there, and still not reach Gold status in the United States! There is too much room in the current system for consumer confusion and overexuberant press releases (though this is probably one of the reasons the whole gold/platnium system was devised).

J

18. Justin Lane

This brings up another point about the whole Gold/Platnium album label. You hear from time to time this album or that album went gold or platnium in 20 countries without the sales numbers actually being mentioned. In this globalized economy, the recording industry should settle on a single definition of a gold or platnium album.

An album only requires 40,000 copies sold to go platnium in Switzerland. This album could go 12 times Platnium over there, and still not reach Gold status in the United States! There is too much room in the current system for consumer confusion and overexuberant press releases (though this is probably one of the reasons the whole gold/platnium system was devised).

J

19. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

I can't even find Sting's "Sacred Love" SACD at my local Best Buy. [​IMG]

I just want to mention one thing....I don't think I saw the article saying who certified the sales numbers. It's one thing to have Universal Music saying Sting's album has sales worthy of Gold status, it's another thing to have a recording industry organization, like IFPI, saying it. While I have no doubt Sting can move the numbers of SACD claimed, it's just me nicpicking.

Anyway, this news is good for the format.

20. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

I can't even find Sting's "Sacred Love" SACD at my local Best Buy. [​IMG]

I just want to mention one thing....I don't think I saw the article saying who certified the sales numbers. It's one thing to have Universal Music saying Sting's album has sales worthy of Gold status, it's another thing to have a recording industry organization, like IFPI, saying it. While I have no doubt Sting can move the numbers of SACD claimed, it's just me nicpicking.

Anyway, this news is good for the format.