What's new

Moonstruck-Widescreen ?? (1 Viewer)

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Was "MOONSTRUCK" ever a widescreen release, the only one I can seem to find is P/S ????

Mark Pytel

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Pytel
No there has not been a widescreen dvd release of this movie I'm afraid. However, if you have a laserdisc player, MGM released a Widescreen Laser disc back in the day. There is always one or two floating around e-bay. I too would like a better version of this film on dvd.
-mark

PopBodhi

Second Unit
Real Name
Randall
Turner Classic Movies aired Moonstruck in widescreen a couple years ago. I've been waiting for a WS release since the FS version hit the shelves way back in, was it 1998? Oh well, I'm not buying it until a nice anamorphic widescreen copy is released.

This movie won an Academy Award for goodness sake! It deserves much better treatment. Shame on MGM!

BTW, since I've watched this movie in OAR, if I don't ever buy it the studio is the only one getting hurt.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Don't expect any extra Moonstruck when / if a widescreen DVD is released - the current DVD is open-matte, not panned and scanned.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
What is the difference between Pan and Scan and Open-matte? I mean, I know with pan and scan the sides are cut off to square the image to fit your TV screen, but I'm just not sure what open-matte is.

Andy

walter o

Supporting Actor
open matte is when they put a black bar over the top and bottom of a fullscreen image as shot to compose it for 1.85 theatrical exhibition, but when they play it on TV, it opens up, and is played as full screen. So even though it is image you weren't realyl meant to see, you are actually losing images (but you werent really meant to see it)

MarcusUdeh

Supporting Actor
You are not losing anything. You are however gaining the original theatrical compositional integrity.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
If you've got a 16x9 display, zooming an open-matte image gives you back the theater image.

Of course you've lost the resolution you'd have had with a real 16x9 anamorphic DVD.

Also...most "open matte" movies are not 100% open matte...usually there are some scenes that still get panned/scanned a bit for whatever reasons. That shouldn't affect a live-action film like Moonstruck too badly, but movies with special-effects are often hard P/S in the special-effects scenes and only open-matte for scenes that require no special effects.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
SO is the "MOONSTRUCK" DVD P AND S or is it actually the widescreen ?

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
It is Open Matte, as others have stated, that is full screen 4x3, but not pan & scan. Remember pan & scan they capture 4x3 frames of the wider ratio, the frame moves from scene to scene, as needed.

I doubt they'll ever re-release this one.

Derek M Germano

Second Unit
MOONSTRUCK has been one of the most disappointing DVD releases to ever come out of MGM. MGM goes the extra distance to provide the film with a good commentary track, but then they saddle to a non-starter of a transfer.

At this point, I think the only way we will ever see another wide screen version of MOONSTRUCK is when it gets re-released in the next generation hi-def format.

Bill Thomann

Supporting Actor
DVD Active says April 18th is the day Moonstruck Deluxe Edition Anamorphic Widescreen with dolby digital 5.1 sound will be released. Another movie checked off of the "not available in ws" list.

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
Just to back up Bill - digitalbits is also reporting a spring release for a deluxe edition of this great movie, in anamorphic widescreen:

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Mom and Wife's favorite films so 2 copies will be bought in april and the old open Matte will be sold off.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks