What's new

Moonstruck (1 Viewer)

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
Okay, I snapped and bought MOONSTRUCK yesterday. (Found it cheap.)

I know on the back of the package it says "STANDARD," meaning of course non-OAR. (And I know that this has been covered ad nauseum here -- I did the requisite thread search.) But I seem to recall that there was talk that this was actually "open matte" or something that negated the need for it being "widescreen." I'd love to hear that again to make me feel better for buying a non-OAR disc... Something I never ever do.

Zooming my RPTV, cutting off bits of the top and bottom, made me sick to my stomach.

WHY OH WHY would the people involved in this wonderful film not care enough to produce a better DVD? Is there any news of one on the way anytime in the future?

Even tho I bought it for pennies, I feel like I got ripped (and another sale showed up for a non-OAR title... Grrrrr).

MC

Will K

Screenwriter
It does appear to be open-matte, but I can't imagine why MGM wouldn't issue an OAR DVD. On the last MGM chat(which was a while back), they said there were no plans. Truly irritating.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I'm ready to buy a copy of Moonstruck whenever MGM is ready to release it properly on DVD.

Andy_MT

Second Unit
shame on you for buying the standard version :frowning:
especially when the region 4 version is very nice. widescreen (16x9), not too shabby picture/sound and commentary. and cheap.

Stu Rosen

Second Unit
I do have a copy of Moonstruck (one of my wife's top 5 of all time), and it is P&S, and while I wish it were OAR, I try not to lose any sleep over it.

On the plus side, because it's open matte, you can see Danny Aiello start to crack up as he descends out of (the intended) frame to propose to Cher.

I, too, will happily replace this with a proper OAR disc, when it's available.

Gary Tjia

Stunt Coordinator
Is there any word out there that MGM will re-release Moonstruck DVD in widescreen? In England, this DVD was released in widescreen.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Any NTSC-compatible 16x9 versions? I know R2 is PAL but wondering if Japan got a 16x9 WS version?

Paul_Nyman

Second Unit
Question time!

If a Japanese release is formatted for R2 NTSC 16X9 Widescreen, will this play on a R1 NTSC DVD player and monitor? I figure R2 eliminates any viewing period, unless your DVD player is non-region set.

Gary Tjia

Stunt Coordinator
I believe all USA DVD players only play R1 DVDs, unless they are modified or region free players. Thus, they would not play R2 NTSC DVDs.

Why doesn't MGM release a widescreen Moonstruck DVD in R1?

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I want to get this one too. The Best Buy deal is very good. I just wish the studios would stop all this region crap. Make every DVD in such a way that it will play anywhere. Or they may have to make at least 2 versions, PAL and NTSC, but that should be it. Of course, if they would make anamorphic transfers in each region that would help too. But too many damn titles are anamorphic outside Region 1 and this really pisses me off.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks