What's new

Moody Blues SACD (1 Viewer)

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
did ray thomas quit or did he pass away?

>> a couple of CD will be released here Tuesday...

actually, the issues here will be imports thru Universal-and discs made in the EU-esp Germany always have seemed to me to be just a little higher quality.
There they go the extra mile-here, music media is mostly considered (as LPs were) disposable UNITS of PRODUCT to move=$$$ quality was an afterthought. It got really bad in the LP days to the point that I started buying LPs of even US artists ie: Bruce Springteen from Europe

dany

Supporting Actor
Real Name
D

According to my Acoustic Sounds catalog ,In Search is stereo only, then it says mixed in 5.1 surround. A Question it says digitally remastered and mixed in 5.1. It says in the box set{$130} that these five remastered recordings needed very little remixing since they were recorded in quad.

PaulT

Supporting Actor
ISOTLC is Stereo only. The rest are 4.1 from the original Quad tapes even though they are marked as '5.1' on the packaging.

StephenA

Screenwriter
Mark_TS: Ray Thomas quit 3 or 4 years ago. From what I can gather, he wanted to retire after being at it for so long. Graeme Edge is now the only original member left.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
More Moody Blues SACDs on the way....you think? From Justin Hayward's post on his website....

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
If you are asking if an sacd with a fully discrete* multichannel mix is better than a software-derived "surround" mix sourced from a stereo CD, in my opinion is YES.

While some CDs do have the correct amount of out-of-phase information that allows DSP chips to do their thing and create a decent suround mix, IMO most CDs do not. And even the better CDs can create some wierd mixes and obviously ALL those DSP mixes are pretty much random i.e. no human decided to put that instrument there and this vocal over here.

I will admit though that there are some true discrete mixes that really stink & the random DSP-derived home versions actually sound relatively better, but for me this is pretty rare and the discrete mix would REALLY have to stink. For example, I would still rather listen to the Doors' so-so L.A. Woman dvd-audio 5.1 mix than any DPLII/Neo/Logic7 version of the stereo track.

Also, no DSP software I'm aware of can recreate the *moving* sonic elements that many rock/pop discrete surround mixes include.

* discrete = made from the album's original multitrack master tapes or hard drive

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks