Moody Blues SACD

Discussion in 'Music' started by Grant B, May 22, 2006.

1. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I was at a Towerand bought myself a Bday present, "To our children's..." SACD.
    Since it was $40 with tax and I never heard the album I was a little hesistant.

The sound did not knock me out like some of Elton Johns SACDs which I had never heard before and the material was good but not great. They did not have day's of future past which was my 1st choice.

Anyone pick up that one or any others?
    Thanks
    Grant

2. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    I got 3 of them via the net. The one you got, In Search of the Lost Chord and Days of Future ..." 'Days' was the best sonically of the 3.

3. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I got all five in a package deal. You got my fav of the lot. I also like Question Of Balance alot.

4. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

I bought all 5 from amazon.co.uk. My personal favourite has always been 'Threshold'. Be aware In Search Of The Lost Chord is Stereo only if that makes any difference to your future purchases.

5. dany

dany Supporting Actor

Not for 40 bucks. Thats why i dont shop at tower.

6. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil

I agree - unless they have a sale. I paid $65 for 3 of them.

7. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    Has this band finally called it quits now that Ray Thomas is gone? Will Justin Hayward be doing more solo work?

8. dany

dany Supporting Actor

Boy i hope not,its pretty sad to hear any of them nowadays.

9. Grant B

Grant B Producer

$65 for 3; was that the 1 or 2 Disc sets?
    I know I could of got it cheaper but it was a impulse buy

10. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil

All 2 disc sets - at deepdiscountcd.com incl. shipping.

I've gone to Tower and spent a few more $ than I could have at different times. I don't think they have as quite as good hi-rez selection as they used to in the one closest to me. I remember going there once as I was trying to order about 5 things (incl. DVD-A and SACD) and I could not find a website that had all of them so I just took the ride to Tower and bought them. When I've been in there the last few times, I'm rather disappointed that their hi-rez selection has shrunk from where it was. I used to watch for their 25% off sales and then go in a get stuff like MoFis which they charge $31.99 regular price for.

11. Grant B

Grant B Producer

The one I usually go to in San Francisco (Market@ Noe) use to have a Hi Rez section which recently went away. I checked for the MB SACD a couple of times and nothing ....until a few days back.
    I think the only people who know anything about HiRez are on this forum. The rest of the world looks at you funny and turns up the volume on their Ipod.

12. Jeffrey R

Jeffrey R Stunt Coordinator

I got all five of them from CD-Wow for $80 shipped. You can still pick up the ones you didn't purchase yet. I am pleased with these releases, and I like the surround mixes (on all but ISOTLC which is 2-channel only).

13. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil

So true, and the those ear buds they use with the volume up too high is causing permanent hearing damage - so they'll never have to worry about hi-rez if they do that long enough.

I won't say I've totally given up on hi-rez, but my CD playback is great and I've quit holding my breath waiting for a hi-rez version of stuff. These days with the lack of major label support (e.g. the way Sony or Universal was pumping them out at one point), I just buy the music I like. If it is available in hi-rez, that is a bonus.

14. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I went to deepdiscountcd.com and nowhere does it say on the $21.86 deluxe version if it is a SACD and when I searched using the term "SACD" it didn't come up.
    Love it!

15. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I got Days of Future Past at Deepdiscountcd. I may spring for a couple of more. I was in college in the late 60s to early 70s and Moody Blues were mandatory listening.

16. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

A couple of Moody Blues SACDs will get domestic (US) release.

17. dany

dany Supporting Actor

4.1 surround sound mixes?

18. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil

Interesting the 2 I did not buy were selected for US release. Quad mixes had rear channels but no center. So the '4' likely means no center.

19. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Moody Blues is probably my fav of the old 60's stuff......got all of their albums and most of the cd versions..... also have the 5 disc compilation release "Time Traveler".
    Threshold and Childrens are the two that are ever-lasting in my mind as they were so much a part of our party times in the late 60's and early 70's. 2 friends died in 71 and these 2 albums really take me back to those times when those friends were part of the group.
    As a matter of fact, the pic with my name at the left is from an album put out by Graham Edge (MB drummer) in 1977, along with Adrian and Paul Gurvitz, of Bake-Gurvitz Army.......
    Now a question.... is SACD that much better than a regular CD using dsp procession?

20. dany

dany Supporting Actor

I'm watching the MB live at Montreux from 91. Pretty bad. They are trying to be good but its not working. They have 2 backup singers that are like doing the wave with there hands during the songs. The sound is poor at best.