What's new

Monster or Canare Interconnects? (1 Viewer)

JackIR

Stunt Coordinator
I have a set of Monster M350i interconnects between my processor and amp. I was thinking of replacing them with Canare. Is Canare a better cable?

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I'm assuming this is an AUDIO application. If so, you might get a slight tone shift with a Canare cable instead of the Monster cable. But beyond that, it's really not worth the change. A Video system with say a 80" Runco front projector - could be a different story.

Before you get caught up in the whole hype around cables that enhance/change the sound, remember: A cable can only DAMAGE a signal.

Mark Rich

Second Unit
It would depend on which Canare cable and just as importantly which connectors will be installed on the cable.
A mistake would be to replace them with an RG6 coax cable with Canare crimp on connectors. While fine for video and digital they are a poor choice for analog audio interconnects.
If you want Canare cable for analog audio cables then check out Wickedcables. At least they dont use an RG6 cable matched with crimp on connectors! Personally I much prefer the Belden 89259 for audio cables (Rhino,Signal ec..)

RussKon

Stunt Coordinator
get yourself a well made cable...good solid construction...but don't spend an arm and a leg....
somewhere i read that the recommended amount to spend on cables is 10 to 15% of the cost of your system on cables...
now if you win the lottery and want to know where to spend that extra $10,000 for a cable....
http://www.nbscables.com/products/new.html

Ken Custodio

Second Unit
A mistake would be to replace them with an RG6 coax cable with Canare crimp on connectors. While fine for video and digital they are a poor choice for analog audio interconnects.
Mark, just curious, but why do you say that RG6 with canare crimp on connectors is a poor choice for analog audio. Not trying to start an argument, just want to know why you say that.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
As far as what the original poster asked- I think Canare is better- but not enough improvement to warrant selling off monster and starting all over, IMHO. If you have a system together now and are happy- I'd stick with that!

Do you have any canare based cables? Just curious what series of cables you're comparing. OH, by the way, it's spelled "definitely".

DaveLenhert

Stunt Coordinator
Hopefully he does respond about that comment, cuz I too have done as Vince and built a lot of Canare LV-77s cables. And I'm very happy with them

Jack-
My vote is for Canare. (However, I will give you a reason!) Like many new HT owners, the dealer carries Monster so we get Monster. Semi-serious tweakers start trying to push their systems for optimum performance. This often means unplugging the plethora of RCA cables to track down that annoying humm/hiss/ground-loop/etc. What I hated about Monster is the horrible connectors and how they interfaced with the cable. Most of the Monster connectors have a vampire grip on the RCA connector making it difficult to plug & unplug. Now couple that with the fact most pre/pros make the connectors SO close together that you can't get a solid grip on the connector body. EVERY time I unplugged the connectors I had to grab part of the cable and I swore that either the cable was going to come off the cable or it was going to break the plug on my pre/pro, DVD, TV, etc. With the Canare cables, they are SOLID construction (my construction!) and you can make them to custom lengths! IMHO, those two advantages far outweigh the sonic difference between cables (Which I can only hear if it is a CHEAPO cable).

-Dave

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Most of the Monster connectors have a vampire grip on the RCA connector making it difficult to plug & unplug.
I hate to play devils.. er.. Monster's Advocate :) But the tight RCA plugs may be why some people prefer Monster over cheaper cables.
(Here comes my opinion, dont take it as generally accepted)
Subwoofer cables seem to prefer a grip-of-death connector. This might be why Monster cables have them.
Canare is famous for it's high-quality RCA connectors which are an important part of a VIDEO cable. It tries to maintain the 75 ohm impedence which is vital for video. It's not nearly as important for audio.
I love the Canare cables for video applications. But the things that make Canare great for video .. just are not as important for audio. Since you already have Monster cables .. I just dont honestly feel that the Canare cables would give you much improvement for AUDIO.
SUGGESTION: Can your TV take a component video feed and do you have a component video source like a DVD player? If so, measure how long of a component video cable you need, and buy one Canare cable long enough to serve either use. Now you have a great video cable, and you can use it for the front 3 channels for your audio system. This way you can 'audition' the cable for audio and decide for yourself if it's worth it.
Many of the custom cable sites have very good return policies so shop around before you decide where to buy.

Mark Rich

Second Unit
Ken,
Because in my experience buying/using/making Canare/Belden cables the RG6 coax cable does not make a very good sounding analog audio ic. If its all you have tried or have simply replaced your existing OEM freebies then yes they would probably be fine. If you have compared them with a better twisted pair design (retail or comercial type) then you should easily be able to hear the difference. IMO with the RG6 coax cables the bass is not very well defined(boomy)with exaggerated mids while the highs are harsh.The best RG6 coax to use (if you have to)would be the Teflon insulated versions (belden 1695a etc.)as they tame some of this.
If you have to use a coax cable then go with the belden 89259 cable.
A good source for opinions on these kinds of cable can be found at the audio asylum forum.

I have made/used the following cables over the years:
Belden 1505,1506a,1694a,1695a,89259
Canare LV-77,LV-61s,GS-6,L-4E6s and L-5cfb
Currently I prefer Belden (either 1694a or 1695a) over Canare for video use because they offer better shielding and therefore improved performance.

I also do not favor using Canare crimp on connectors for audio. Fine for subwoofer use as the connectors do not make such a noticeable difference in this application.
Take a decent coax cable such as the Belden 89259 and go from a Canare crimp to a Cardas or Vampire RCA connector and you will be amazed at the difference a decent connector change makes. Great to be able to differentiate between the drum kits cymbals. I have found the Bullet connectors to be even better but they are very fragile.

Vince: Because you use them in your system and have made hundreds does not make them the best choice. If you find that you cannot tell them apart from a better (my opinion) cable then that's great, enjoy them. Others find them a poor choice. A lot of the custom cable makers start by selling the same canare RG6 coax cables for audio and video (one cable,connector and tool) and move on from there. Ask them why and thy will usually admit that they discovered that one cable is not optimal in all aplications. Also they become more confident in their soldering skills:)People have different systems, environments and see and hear things differently.

These are only my opinions after all.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
yeah, we can butt heads next year, better we should reflect a bit on some of our good fortune. and in all honesty, tis a pleasure to extend to you the best :)

PatrickLG

Agent
Ill stand by Marks statement that Canare and Belden 75ohm coax with the Canare 75ohm connectors are superb for video and SPDIF, but not analog.
I do however like Canares analog coaxial (GS-6) with the Canare F-10 RCA connectors, which give a nice ring at the top and a round bottom.
Jump in Chu Gai the waters warm!!!!:D

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
lol!!! oh, i've got a story to tell about Doris Day (no I'm not that old) but it comes by old time band members and I can't vouch for the authenticity...besides...wrong forum!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks