Paradigm Monitor 7 & Denon 3803 Volume

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by JohnSap, Oct 10, 2003.

1. JohnSap

JohnSap Auditioning

I just purchased a Denon 3803, Paradigm Monitor 7 fronts, waiting for the OTW-cc370 (on-the-wall center) and ADP-370 (rear). The speakers are great. The Denon 3803 is great. The two together don't produce the volume I would expect. I would never have expected to be able to turn the volume all the way. The speaker cables are just OK 16 gauge monster until the other speakers arrive then prob. Canare star quad cables.

The source is a Denon 1600 (soon to be upgraded to a Denon 2200) or a HD SA cable box (set to fixed volume). Again all w/ just OK temporary interconnects.

The Paradigm should be fairly efficient speakers w/ a sensitivity of 93 dB.

Any advice?

2. James W. Johnson

James W. Johnson Screenwriter

You sound like a good candiate for some Klipsch RF7s.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I got more than enough kick out of my Monitor 5s, so I would say the first thing you need to check is your setup. There are a dozen possiblities that could be causing this. Does putting the receiver in "pure direct" raise the sound level? If so, this is a setting issue. IMO, you should not be able to turn the volume all the way up.

Is your room very large?

What disc(s) are you using to test?

Do you have digital compression or some other form of attenuation turned on?

How do you have the source hooked? Analog or digital? If digital, is the source set to PCM or bitstream?

I'd take the M7s over the Klipschs. I am definitely not a fan of Klipsch.

4. JohnSap

JohnSap Auditioning

I have been away for a while but here is the run down. I upgraded my DVD1600 to a DVD2200 and love it. Much better build and layer changes. When I added my new Monitor 7s , I changed the speaker size from small to large for the fronts and center in the 3803. The sub was set to LFE only. So the real problem was no bass from the sub. Changing the sub to LFE + main solved the problem. Or changing all the speakers to small and the sub to LFE + main. I chose the latter and have much better volume.

That doesn't change the fact that I don't believe the 3803 can deliver 770W (110W x 7) total power. I am happier but still might move the fronts to a separate sometime in the further but for now the AVR3803 + DVD2200 are working fine. Thank Everyone.