Scott D. Atwell
I hope I have the line right:

"That's not a boat. That's the opposite of a boat."

I loved this line. :emoji_thumbsup:

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Thought the submarine episode was pretty good overall. The delusions of the therapist being present were funny. My quibbles with this episode:

- security seemed pretty lax for civilians coming onto a nuclear sub. Natalie's friend just walks them on board without anybody paying much attention and the captain not knowing about it? The captain just ships out abruptly and the crew didn't know they were leaving? How did he know all his staff and crew were back on board?

- The scenes entering and exiting the sub were so obviously fake and shot indoors.

- There was little attempt to place any doubt that the captain was the guilty party.

- Monk's continuing penchant for confronting the suspect when he's still in a position to be harmed by him. What purpose did it serve to accuse the captain to his face at that point, other than to make sure Monk ends up in peril shortly thereafter.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I noticed alot of that stuff too, but I figured "hey, it's Monk, I can't expect Das Boot or The Hunt for Red October" lol.

Speaking of THFRO there were a couple of exterior shots of the sub borrowed from that film.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I really enjoyed this episode, particularly the hilarious intro with Randy and his date, but it did feel like a bit of a rehash of the first season episode "Mr. Monk and the Other Woman". The details varied quite extensively, but the infatuation was the same. Didn't feel quite as special the second time around.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

I thought the same thing myself, although the infatuation this time felt a little more "real", I was actually beginning to ask myself that impossible question..."Could this be it? The woman who Adrian comes to love and who will rescue him from his world and bring closure to Trudy?"

I actually feared she would, that would mean that the end is near and I don't want that just yet. :frowning:

We already caught a pretty rock solid glimpse of Natalie's future, Casper Van Dean will come back to town and she'll go off with him at the end, i'm willing to bet on it.

Johanna Pacula hasn't really aged too well IMO, when she was young...my lord she was freakin' gorgeous.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Fun little confection of a milestone episode tonight. I loved all of the interviews within the program. It does raise some interesting continuity questions though; if this is Monk's 100th (and 101st) case since returning to work, and there have been 100 episodes with cases solved, wouldn't that mean that we've seen literally every case for the police that he's worked on? Kind of neat. Factoring in the occasional episode where he's NOT working for the SFPD, that still only leaves a case or two we haven't seen.

Joe_H

Screenwriter

i really liked the format of this episode as well. It was predictable as hell though, mystery-wise. The fake death thing at the end was pretty good though. I figured they had done that at the beginning of an episode for a reason, but the payoff worked well.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Happy 100th Monk! :cool:

Although i'm not so sure that count is accurate, though, it just feels off to me as I seem to recall an episode where he solved a murder as a throwaway early on, it was the one where he was working at a carwash whe he was hiding out, so he solved two cases in that episode.

Or are they only counting the cases he solved for the SFPD? But even if that's the case it still throws off the concept and theme for the 100th epiosde.

I don't know lol.

The one part that I thought was very poignant was when Adrian was being interviewed about Trudy and what keeps him going he said "I can't die...not knowing."

That was very revealing in terms of how deeply Adrian needs to solve this case and it's the ultimate answer to the question.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
Actually, if you need to rationalize it, I think it makes perfect sense to just count "official SFPD" cases. That would bring the case numbers we've actually seen to less than 100, and you can just assume that there are 20 or so cases that we never saw over the years.

Again, IF you need to rationalize it... ;)

Ed Moroughan

Second Unit
Real Name
Edward R. Moroughan
They advertised Sharon Lawrence being on this ep, and I don't think I saw her. Did I miss it? Was it along with the other in jail people?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I didn't notice her either, though if she was that's where she'd be. Her interview probably got cut for time. I was really hoping we'd have gotten an interview with Sharona about Monk as part of his biography, considering the iconic nature of the episode.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

I was actually a little fooled, because I thought Eric McCormack had killed all the victims - including the photographer. My theory until fairly late in the episode:

The TV host found his victims while looking for actresses for the recreations used in his TV show. He chose them from head shots sent over by agents, but was careful a) not to audition them for his show, so there would be no connection to him and b) limit his choices to women who got their head shots from the same photographer, which would give the the police an automatic suspect if they connected the murders. He then used his access to the story to keep pointing the cops in the direction of the photographer and finally murdered him to shut down the investigation.

Regards,

Joe

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I loved this week's episode. But I was way off--I thought the murderer was going to end up being Randy's girlfriend. I figured she would either be the murderer or be killed. And I completely fell for the ending--that was very well done.

I also appreciated all of the return characters. And Harold Krenshaw was funny as usual--I loved his "Let's not get ahead of ourselves." ;)

On a related note, we've been working our way through Season Six of Monk. Tonight, we watched "Mr. Monk Is Up All Night." It had been a while since we had seen that one. This truly is a show I will be able to watch over and over throughout the years and never tire of it. :emoji_thumbsup:

LCD22

Screenwriter
I wasn't expecting to see Harold in this week's episode also. Scott, he was equally funny last night.

Both "Monk" and "Psych" will be back on November 28th for their annual Christmas episodes.

And there's a new "Lunch at Monk" podcast up with creator Andy Breckman on the official USA Network site:

http://www.usanetwork.com/series/mon...cenes/podcast/

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I love Harold Krenshaw. And the closing to an episode I recently watched (with Disher doing the freezing routine) was wonderful. His bickering with the 'professional' frozen man reminded me of Monk and Krenshaw.

BTW, I taped Monk last night, and haven't yet seen it. That should be fun tonight. :emoji_thumbsup:

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Monk was awesome this week lol! I was getting such a kick out of Adrian's regression into a 7 year-old. :laugh:

For some reason I just started busting out laughing whenever I heard 'Hoppy' the frog croak out of nowhere lol.

It was nice to see that the show didn't take the obvious turn, a turn I was sure it would, that Harold ended up getting the same psyciatrist as Adrian thus continuing the feud with one another.

Also, always nice to see Dina Meyer, always had a thing for that woman.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Good episode. I like that Monk solved the case while regressed to about the age of seven. It was nice for him to experience some happiness for a little bit, even though the world quickly wore him back down. The gum bit was probably the grossest they've ever gone.

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
Yesterday USA announced that Monk's 8th Season will be it's last. While I find this a bit sad, I'm glad the show will be getting a proper send off. We all knew this would have to happen eventually. I'm just glad the show is going out on top.

Note that Season 7 continues in January and and Season 8 doesn't begin until July 2009.

Monk to Clean Up for One Last Season - E! Online

Monk to Clean Up for One Last Season

Fri., Nov. 14, 2008 4:25 PM PST by Natalie Finn
Monk USA Network

After six years of getting his hands dirty and then vigilantly scrubbing them clean, Monk is gearing up—probably pretty carefully—for his last case.

USA announced Friday that it has picked up its Emmy-winning detective series Monk for an eighth and final season that will air next summer.

The "Characters Welcome" network has ordered up 16 episodes, and E! News is hearing that the finale will clue Monk in on who killed his dearly departed wife, Trudy, the tragedy that turned him into the OCD-addled mystery-solver who cable audiences have come to love.

"We want to build to a spectacular conclusion for this wonderful show," said Jeff Wachtel, executive VP of original programming for USA Network.

"By many measures, Monk is the most successful series in the history of basic cable television—and it was certainly the original tentpole of our 'Character' brand. Our fans have been extremely dedicated and season eight should prove to be a very satisfying reward."

Monk, which marked its 100th episode last month, averaged 5 million viewers per episode in 2008, so the series definitely isn't being put out to pasture on a downswing.

On whether playing such a neurotic, tic-ridden character has rubbed off on him over the years, three-time Emmy winner Tony Shalhoub told USA Weekend in June:

"I think I had low levels of those kinds of quirks, as a lot of people really do, but it's definitely grown over time. I'm not really the kind of actor who brings my work home with me so much, normally, but I sort of feel infected by this character in a way. I think about things that I normally wouldn't otherwise."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks