What's new

Monitor Trail... (& Sony Service Menu Code query) (1 Viewer)

Just replaced a Sony 35' (KV-35S42) with a Sony Wega 32' (KV-32FS17), and am much happier with the new set.

EXCEPT:

As with the previous Sony, I'm noticing in moments of high contrast, a trailing and or fogging of the bright part of the picture against the dark part.

Examples:

1. Someone's waving around a flashlight in the dark (typical X-FILES / SE7EN type shot). There are momentary trails of the flashlight bulb against the surrounding darkness.

2. On a widescreen image, a window to the outdoors is at top of frame say, to the left. There is a visible fog on the black letterbox matte above the window.

I've calibrated with Video Essentials. The black level holds from high area picture level to low. My contrast is set a bit above half, though I've experimented with setting it much higher or lower just to see what effect such an adjustment would have - none, as I'd figured.

So, what gives? Is it the picture tube? A reflection against the glass of the set? And how to beat it? An exchange? A repair? Something I could do in the Service Menu?

By the way, if anyone has the code for the Service Menu on these TV's, I wouldn't mind at least taking a peek at it.

Christian Dolan

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff,

As far as I know, the trailing you see is an unavoidable effect of CRT technology. The phosphors can’t fade fast enough for abrubt picture level changes, so it looks like a trail if the bright spot is moving against black

As for the fogging, it still sounds as though your contrast mat be a bit too high and the electron beam is blooming, sending excess energy into surrounding phosphors. Hope this helps.

-Christian

P.S. Do a search here and you should find something that can point you to the service menu settings.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
I have never heard of dust inside direct view tubes causing image diffusion problems. Also all direct view screens nowadays are one piece, either one thick piece of glass or thinner glass layers glued together so as not to have problems with dust in between, or reflections.
The life of the TV will be greatly increased if you set the contrast somewhat below the level that Video Essentials or AVIA points out.
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks