What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Moleskine Notebooks (1 Viewer)

Bob Movies

Stunt Coordinator
I always carry a notepad around with me. I started using a flip-up style montblanc notepad that came with a pen that I bought. It was OK, but the refills were pretty expensive, and the sheets were designed for tearing them off (perforated along the top edge) so they always ended up falling out.

About two years ago I switched to using the small sized coil-bound mead notepads. They've been pretty good, since they're cheap and flexible, so they slip into my pocket pretty easily. The covers usually end up falling off before I'm through the pad, and since they're flip-style, sometimes I accidentally write notes upside down on them. Not a big deal however, and the mead notepads have been pretty good overall.

Two days ago I heard about Moleskine notebooks, which are apparently the best pocket notebooks in the world. They've been around for a long time; Van Gogh, Matisse, and Hemmingway all used them for notes and sketches. They have a website at http://www.moleskineus.com that details the history and all the models available.

Since I'm always on the quest for the perfect notepad, I bought two differnt Moleskine books today - a lined pocket notebook, and a 3 pack of the Volant series, also lined.

The pocket notebook is really good, since it has a built-in bookmark and a pocket at the back to store loose notes. It also has an elastic band that streches around the cover to keep it closed. The only drawback (for me) is that the cover seems a bit too hard. It has a bit of give to it, but it may be a bit too bulky to always carry on me. It cost $16.95 Canadian, which is expensive, but I really enjoy it.

The Volant notepad is 1/3 the thickness of the pocket notepad, and it's got a flexible soft cover. When it's in my pocket I can't even tell that it's there, but it doesn't have the pocket, the elastic, or the bookmark. The Vollant notebooks were $9.99 for 3.

I'm interested to try these books out over the next few months. Does anyone else here have a pocket notebook of choice? I'm also interested to hear what everyone else does when it comes to carrying a pen with them always. Right now I just put a regular pen in my pocket, but I wonder if there's something better for pocket carrying.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

James T

Screenwriter
I just got the moleskin and I'm using it as a field journal. I agree, that it is excellent.

I was actually looking for a Grail diary replica(Last Crusade), but those were too much for me. Then someone suggested a Moleskin as an Abner(Raiders) journal.

As for the hardness of the cover, I don't mind it. It's a perfect fit in my jacket and I don't have to fear about it being destroyed or ruined.

Matt Gordon

Supporting Actor
They look really cool, but they're too small.

The notebook I carry (and too infrequently write in) has pages that are 8.5" x 11".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks