What's new

modded xbox and live/don't do it (1 Viewer)

hwshi

Stunt Coordinator
well looks like mod detection has been implemented with live.have been unable to get online since tuesday and hacker boards are humming with live junkies jonesing for a fix.many different theories abound...personally i decided to sell my modded xbox(for profit!) because it's not worth the hassle in my opinion,and with the great deals on right now i'm getting a new box and some cash.unfortunatly i will lose my beautifull gold and silver custom bike,ahh well another afternoon lost rebuilding a custom bike.
so anyone considering a mod make sure you put in a switch(i didn't) and cross your fingers.
off to shop.see you online tonite(i hope).
peace.
p.s. lectures not required thanks.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Wow, MS is really cracking down on mods and hacks. I'm assuming the mod was just for playing imported games on your system? If so I don't think MS should have gone to the trouble of not allowing modded Xboxes the chance at Live. It'll just be cracked anyway I bet.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
I think he means the custom bike he built in MotoGP. It was a sweet ride, too...it always looked so pretty gleaming in my rearview mirror. :)
Kidding, Hwshi. Truth is I got to know your taillights pretty well in our HTF cup races.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I'm assuming the mod was just for playing imported games on your system?
No, in XBox's case it also lets you run PC programs like SVCD/DiVX players, heck people have even turned it into a Linux box.

Since MS sells the units at a loss, they don't want people buying them and using them as cheap PC servers

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Yeah Besides the whole concept of piriting games it simply isn't worth hacking the thing, I've gotten backup's of games before mostly PC and then you become a Collector not a Player. I Buy games I want to play the others I'll rent.
So No Hacked Xbox here.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Well, I imagine it is worth modding if you have an interest in playing imported games. But it looks like you have to make a choice now between imports or Live play.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
A friend of mine who is into the modding scene tells me that some mods can be installed with a switch, and that with the mod switched off it literally is 'not there' and cannot be detected.

I'm definitely interested in modding mine when I am confident that it can run stealth deactivated while online.

Running MAME for classic games and Media Player for streaming audio is very enticing. And there may be an interesting import or two on the way (like Shenmue II with subtitles).

hwshi

Stunt Coordinator
michael definitely wait for the dust to settle,i went out and bought a new xbox today and my account works,so i believe it keeps you out in regards to your serial# and mod activation.unfortunately when i got my mod put in my installer didn't put in a switch that i requested.however some people are still unable to connect with a switch installed.so mod at your own risk and realize that they may switch how they search for a mod in the future.
yes the capabilities of what is coming out in homebrew may make it worth it.hell they've already implemented progressive dash,which a lot of people are clamoring microsoft to activate,duh!
my opinion is they should've gone after pirated games and cheaters,not mod chips.

yes dave she was quite pretty in the sunlight,hmmm now i don't know when i'll have the time to build her again with all the new games.i'm sure she'll be seen again in the near future!

well i hope you enjoyed this public service announcement, now feel free to go nuts on the merits of mods,hackers,homebrew,and the ever dreaded pirates.
play nice

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
hwshi,

I'm not rushing into anything, but I do know enough about circuit design to tell if a design is switched in such a manner as to be undetectable when disabled. I'll be looking into it.

My XBox is already out of warranty, and I have no fear. And I am not breaking the law by modding my xbox for non-piracy purposes.

But I'll agree that one should think through their actions.

I'll also be taking an image of my current hard drive so that I can completely restore my system to its original pre-modded state.

Oh, and FYI, I was only speculating that a subtitled 'Shenmue II' MAY come out for the XBox somewhere in the world. I do not know of any current plans to release this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks