What's new

Mixing Hi-Fi and Pro (1 Viewer)

Travis G

Stunt Coordinator
I built a subwoofer a couple years ago with two Shivas and a Mackie M1400i to power it. I have never had any problems with it and I haven't noticed distortion; hoewever...

I am reading a book called "The Sound Reinforcment Handbook." It's about PA systems but much of it applies to hi-fi. It says that you shouldn't mix hi-fi and pro equipment together. It says that hi-fi line levels are much lower than pro line levels (hi-fi is between -16dBu and -10dBu and pro is around +4dBu). It also says that hi-fi outputs are meant to be terminated at a 10,000-ohm load and that pro audio inputs represent a 600-ohm load.

Has anyone here experienced problems with mixing hi-fi and pro equipment?

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I don't think you have a problem. I believe that the book you're referring to refers to sound reinforcement, such as PA systems in clubs, small venues, etc. That gear would not be appropriate for home hi-fi use at all.

The pro gear that we are using her ein DIY is the stuff that's designed for use in recording studios. In this case, it is indeed very compatible with hi-fi gear, and in fact is hi-fi gear!

Travis G

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Philip.

The Mackie is designed for use in clubs and small sound reinforcement applications is it not? I had to use RCA to Bannana plug adaptars to plug it in.

Travis

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I don't think you have anything to worry about with a Mackie power amp. I believe that amp was made for a wide variety of applications including in-studio use. All pro amps will have balanced ins.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks