What's new

Mixing Axiom Surrounds w/ Paradigm Fronts (1 Viewer)

Dave_Olds

Stunt Coordinator
I currently have Monitor 7's & CC350 center for the front stage. Due to limited budget constraints with construction and other aquisitions, the ADP370's are too much of a strain on the budget right now. So I am wondering the following:
Has anyone used the QS4's with Paradigm products?
Is the sound quality a decent match. If its reasonable, it would be a decent band-aid approach until I could get the ADP370's.....It would make sense in the fact I intend to make a Axiom sound system later in a family room - so not like throwing away money....
But if it will sound crappy as a combo, probably would just wait....
Thoughts? Passable for the present time? No strings attached for any opinions - I wont you to it.. :D

Trey Jones

Stunt Coordinator
Why not get a set of mini monitors for the rear and then change your setup to 7.1 when the time (money) is right? Just a thought.

I think the QS4's would be a pretty decent fit depending on the equipment. Most people here will suggest that the timbre match from the Paradigms would be better however.

JohnDG

Stunt Coordinator
I'm using JBL N24's in a 6.1 setup, and they are adequate and quite cheap.

jdg

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
No offense, but N24s compared to Paradigm Monitors is practically a night and day difference, both in price and sound reproduction. I have done direct comparisons. While the N24s are not bad for the price, they don't quite stack up for music. Excellent value, but not in the same league.

JohnDG

Stunt Coordinator
Definitely Mini-Monitors in the rear are much better, but I get the impression we are looking for a cheap, temporary solution. I'm running Monitor 7's up front with a CC370, and most of the sound is coming from these 3 for "normal" listening.

How do the JBL's match up against the Axiom's in price/performance for temporary rears?

jdg

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have heard the ADPs, but not the QS4. I would say based on price alone, the Axioms would get my nod.
I prefer direct radiating speakers for rears, in which case, I would say either the M3Ti or Mini Monitor (which I am using as mains) would do very well. I feel the Axioms are a bit bright in the upper midrange, but for vocals in particular, the Axioms sounded better to me, just more natural, and then there is the price difference again. (had I known about the Axioms a year ago, I probably would have bought them instead).
The closest in price/performance from JBL would be the S26. J&R has them for $159/pr - right here. The only drawback is that they are rather large.

Dave_Olds

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the feedback....I will checking into the mini-monitors on eBay for a few weeks. May be able to pick them up reasonable there....The Axioms are $248 and the ADP 370's $698 - $450 is alot when in construction of the theater and a PJ purchase due next month....Mini-Monitors are $398 I believe new, but maybe a I can get them cheaper used (the idea of using them as surrounds and moving them to the rear is brilliant :D )....If not, the QS4's would work and move them to the family room system later.
Thanks again for the very nice ideas and feedback on my situation - it is greatly appreciated. Alternative viewpoints are extremely helpful in such a complicated hobby :)
Dave

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Dave, the Minis should be more like $350 MSRP, and you should be able to get them for closer to $320-$330 (before tax) from a decent dealer in the US.

Since you are in Mi, you should strongly consider a trip up to Canada, as your dollar will go farther there, and the Canadian prices are a bit lower as well. There is a dealer in Windsor, just across from Detroit. Axiom is also Canadian... Just a thought.

Miles_P

Auditioning
Dave

If you buy the ADP 370 from the same store that you bought your Monitor 7's and CC370 from they should give you $100 dollars off the APD 370's. So that you could get them for $599.

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
Get the QS8's in b-stock for $350... They are purportedly quite a bit better than the QS4's.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks