What's new

Mitsubishi, Warranty company and what should I do? --PLEASE HELP-- (1 Viewer)

StevenF

Stunt Coordinator
I want to ask a question and see what people think. I have a Mitsubishi Diamond (4x3) VS-50803 HD RPTV that I bought brand new from Ken Cranes in late '99 with an (Federal Warranty) Extended 5-year Warranty. In 2000 the top four inches of the screen began to get faint wavy distortion lines. Since it was past the manufacturers warranty... Federal Warranty sent out a servicer. Parts of the TV were determined bad. They took out the chasis, replaced parts and 2 months later brough it back. The lines were still there and I was told it was inherent with this TV. I though it was fishy at the time, but I decided to live with it because you only really noticed it on mostly white or light colored scenes.

Then in 2002, the TV began to get a faint thick green line down the right side of the TV. Federal Warranty again sent the same people out and this time his solution was to darken the screen... as to make it disappear. He said that I had the brightness up to high and it was distortion. I only had it 5 clicks above center. I again decided to live with the situation as you only noticed it during black screens.

Now, here is the last straw. We got HD Cable in my area. Since my TV is a 4x3 set... Widescreen shows have the black bars on the top and bottom and standard shows have black bars all the way around... this is normal and I new so. So I hook it up and the HD screen is curved and blacks turn orange. Federal Warranty sent out one guy who couldn't even figure out how to get into the convergence screen. I compalined and they sent out the same original guys to look at the problem. It was determined to be defective parts in the TV. The chasis again was stripped out. 2 months go buy and when the bring it back Widescreen shows are stretched out to fill the screen, but standard shows now are stretched top and bottom, but the black bars are still on the sides. I thought it was adjusted wrong. He told me it was correct because Mitsubishi changed the Eeprom so these TV's wouldn't get the burn-in from the black bars. I was told I would have to live with it.
This is just wrong to me. This isn't how it was when I bought the set originally and If it had been like this, I would have chosen another set.
I think my set should be replaced since it obviously isn't being fixed properly and they have now tried several times. I have had to take off work everytime they have come out. I missed out on having the TV for 4 months total and I have been paying for cable while I had no TV.

What do you think I should do. Federal Warranty says there is nothing more they can do. Mitsubishi said they coulld set me up with the equivelant model (WS-55813) for $2400.00. It sounds good in theory, but I feel this is not my fault and I shouldn't have to suffer with a TV that isn't performing the way it was when I purchased it.

That is my story. By the way, I still have the 4" wavy distortion lines and the thich green line on the right side has now turned into 2 medium sized lines.

Any suggestions would be very very appreciated.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I'll tell you, I have heard of more people lately that are getting the shaft with so-called extended warranties..

geeeesh...

If they don't make it 100% right this time call your local news troubleshooter guy..... These warranty places gotta stop taking people's money, and giving dissatifaction in return.

I don't get it either, I work for the insurance industry, and these people that do these warranties are known as the scum of the insurance industry, and they literally make 1000's and 1000's of percent profit. It seems like they would just buy you a new set, but then again, the fact they don't is probably why they are making 1000's and 1000's percent profit... UUUHHGGGG

StevenF

Stunt Coordinator
I have an update to my story. Mitsubishi found several components inside the TV that were bad and some of these components are no longer produced. It was their recommendation to Federal Warranty, who was bought by Assurant, to replace the TV. So Federal Warranty finally broke down and admitted it was a Lemon TV. Between Mitsubishi and Federal Warranty... I was given back my original purchase price of $3200, as credit, to be used at Ken Cranes to purchase another set. So in the end, the little guy WON. I cannot express how nice Mitsubishi was in this matter. Federal Warranty is the devil, but the interesting thing was... at the end, I did not deal with them. It was Assurant (this new company that ownes FW) and they were nice an helpful.

I now have a dillema. I have $3200.00 credit at Ken Cranes to pick out a new TV. Here is what I can go for as my options...

Mitsubishi WS-55813 55" Diamond Series.
(I would have to pay an additional $860.00 for the Price difference, Tax and Shipping.)

Mitsubishi WS-65713 65" Platinum Series.
(Same as above, I would have to pay an additional $860.00 for the Price difference, Tax and Shipping.)

Mitsubishi WS-65613 65" Gold Plus Series.
(I would have to pay an additional $350.00 for the Price difference, Tax and Shipping.)

Mitsubishi WS-65413 65" Silver Plus Series.
(I wouldn't have to pay anything + it would also come with a 5-Year Extended Warranty... not Federal Warranty this time.)

That is what I can go with. I am curious of what most people would do in this situation. Thanks for all the help.

John S

Senior HTF Member
The one you think looks the best....

If it is truly a toss up, take the free replacement with free replacement warranty.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
StevenF i was about to go to this...
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=166637 thread and post almost exactly the same thing.

i have a tosh 56x81 that was having the same wavy lines at the top.
i'm shortly to have a creddit towards a new tv. but need to decide what brand as tweeter no longer has toshiba.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
dang!!

You did well.

Stick with Mits, they produce excellent TVs

regards

Gregg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks