What's new

Misc Motorcycle questions (1 Viewer)

JoanPablo_T

Stunt Coordinator
Hello everyone,

So back in 2001 I bought a brand new Yamaha YZF600f bike. I love the thing, I just had some questions. First is, how can you be sure when new tires are in order? On my old Suzuki I rode it until it had barely any tread left. But on this one I still have tread. It currently has over 9K miles. Does the penny trick work for bikes too?

Second, I have been having a bit if an overheating issue. It heats up rather quickly, which didn't occur within the few first years. I recently had the cooling system flushed and new coolant put in. Does anyone have any clues? Could it be the Thermostat or another component? Today alone it reached almost to red line on the meter, and the fan kicked in at least twice.

Thanks!

JP

BradleyS.

Stunt Coordinator
I probably cant help you much since I ride dirtbikes, but I'll see if I can help. On the tire question, I doubt the penny trick works since motorcycle tires dont have as deep of treads as car tires( I dont think so anyway:confused:). I would ride it until you feel that there is a loss of traction. On the overheating question, I would check the little metal air fins on your radiator to make sure none of those are bent. You could also have a leaky hose or gasket somewhere.

JoanPablo_T

Stunt Coordinator
Cool, Thanks Bradley. I will look into it. I am planning to bring it in to a local dealer for service. (It needs a new chain as well) I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas though :)

BradleyS.

Stunt Coordinator
your quite welcome, its always good to ask before spending loads of money on something that could be very simple.

Chris Derby

Second Unit
if you're rear tire has a big flat spot in the middle, it's time for new tires (a rear, at least).

=)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Don't skimp on tires — ever. Things can go bad awfully fast when you're on two wheels. I'd change the tires after all this time.

As for the cooling issue, do check the thermostat. And check the gauge. All engines run hotter than the gauge indicates (because, as all OEMs know, most people would freak out if they knew just how hot their engines really are running — just be glad your bike is liquid-cooled. The middle two cylinders on air-cooled transverse inline Fours would run dreadfully hot. Thank goodness for oil coolers).

Terry Hansen

Stunt Coordinator
There will be wear bars somewhere in the middle of one of the sipes. Once the wear bar is even with the rest of the tire, you are ready for new tires.

mark_landy

Auditioning
My response exactly - the tires should have wear indicators on the tread. Use those.

Also - if they are two seasons old - I would replace them - I am just like that - I like to have new rubber and scrub them in real good - then let loose on the twisties.

- M

If you do track days - consider one set a year. Unless you swap with DOT tires and use a warmer.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Also check the sidealls of the tires (The part that shouldn't normally come in contact with the road) minute, or spiderweb, looking cracks means its time to get new shoes before a blowout occurs. also feel the tread of the tire (helps if your on a jack), "lumps" in the tread may be a sign of broken cords or belts..also in need of new tires (but may be under warranty). My bike's tires still have innertubes, so please forgive me if modern sport rubber don't have belts/cords anymore :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks