Mirage BPS-150 vs. B&K AWS 600

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SteveDev, Aug 8, 2002.

1. SteveDev

SteveDev Agent

Still searching for that elusive compact sub. Any thoughts on how these perform (mainly concerned with movies than music)?

Thanks,

Steve

Sorry, meant to say B&W ASW 600 vs. BPS-150!

2. CraigR

CraigR Agent

Steve,

Both of these subs are good IMO. I owned a BPS-150i for a couple of years and thought it was a little better for music than HT. They both have a 150w amp. The 600 has a single 10" front firing speaker while the 150i is two 8" speakers in a bi-polar array. A lot depends on where you put these subs in your room and how they are affected by surrounding walls, ceilings, furniture, etc. It can make a lot of difference. I think the AWS600 will give you a little more dynamic bass for HT.
    You can probably get a better deal for the BPS-150i than the 600 if you can find one. I believe they have been discontinued. I like B&W in fact all of my other speakers (mains, center, surrounds) are B&W. You need to demo these subs and find out what you like. Good hunting.

Craig

3. Craig

Craig Second Unit

I switched out my Mirage BPS150i for a SVS 20-39PC a little over a year ago. The difference was huge (as in no comparison), the BPS150 just can't compete with the SVS. The BPS150i would probably be a good sub for music, but I'd defintitely recommend a different sub for home theater.

As far as size, a SVS really takes up little floor space (16" diameter). If there's anyway you could swing it I'd definitely check out SVS. You can get a 25-31PCi for $499 + shipping.