What's new

Mini Cooper (1 Viewer)

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
You dont spend 24 hours laid on a trolley in a cold corridor waiting for some doc that doesnt even speak english to pull you around and tell you theres nothing wrong with you.
Hint: Just feign a foregin language and mutter the words "asylum seeker". Before you know it you'll have a bevvy of medical staff around you, benefits galore and probably even a free house. Voila!

Mary M S

Screenwriter
MC has been in the states since 2001, and I believe the new MC launched in the UK in 2000. Texas did not get them till 2002 due to a legislative issue with BMW. I have not kept up with the latest going on with them. Before I buy any car I pull up the last 2 yr.’s (if available) “tech advisories to mechanics” on a model, which helps to know what your getting into. BUT if you are interested in the convertible version? I hear that’s 2004.

Since purchase in March 2003:
Its been driven quite a bit. Colorado and back, little bit of racing down 1/8 straightaway tracks and at a couple SCCA events. SO far service issues are:
Main windshield gasket needed re-seating 3 days after purchase and dealer dented it doing that. :}
This week HK sound system went out and something rattling in the boot, (I believe this is my amp sliding around). Will be in to dealer as soon as sched. Allows.
No recalls submitted to me via mail.
Will be working with service to see if there are any mechanic tweaks available at dealership when it goes in (also for its 3 month past due) to alleviate the heavy handed gas input required for 1st.

Mark H: TAKE THAT BACK you dirty dog: mines a dude magnet and if chicks were chasing me down in it, it’d be gone. :rolleyes:Seriously (to Aurel) the car seems to be more of a man thing and I’ve only seen males (or couples) driving the few I run into although girls like it, - only had one female approach me on it, but scads of men. We have a 68 mustang completely redone which dyno’s at 430 something hp at the wheel. Just to tell you about its looks, It took an outstanding in class at its first official car show (Dallas Autorama) last year while still in unfinished state, so it is capable of drawing eyes. (Side effect of this mustang in the house, - is my hanging out here…I’m sure it will never BE finished….they are ALWAYS doing something in the garage) :) The engine is being rebuilt from the block up right now to increase to just under 600 HP.

The mustang turns heads whenever it goes down the road. BUT the Mini unexpectedly turns just as many.

The very first time one of my sons drove it, He walked in the door and said “How much does one cost, that’s a car for trolling for girls!?”
Two girls had chased him down and handed him their phone #’s during a 20-min errand while a couple more approahed him as he left the store. That cemented the cars ‘aura’ for him. This son dropped in to a ‘meet’ at which the other son had taken the 68. They said the crowd (mainly male) bypassed the mustang (unusual) and a row of 4 vipers and congregated for the hour they attended around the mini!

Steve: I was personaly attracted to the new mini, because of its UK heritage. The old one was a lightweight go-kart on steroids I don’t dare to compare - having never driven one of the 60 models which J Cooper made famous (very limited availability stateside). The new one is a tank in weight comparison yet a whisper of the [ghost] of the original must be infiltrating, I’ve had 4 men who did not know what it even was, use the go-cart related comments after driving it.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
A family friend bought one recently... I think they're cool. It definitely hugs the road and corners very tightly.

However, he's exclaimed its lightweight and low clearance make it a pretty poor car in the snow... and, since you're in the great white north, Chad.. you might want to have a winter beater on hand.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
As long as everyone who owns one doesn't go zooming around like Mr. Bean, it should be OK (except for anyone in a 3-wheel vehicle, of course). :D :laugh:

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
Surprisingly, to me, the new Mini does a pretty respectable job of acting like the OLD Mini. Not as harsh a ride, but still goes like snot, and corners like a go-kart on serious drugs. Subjectively, it handles VERY much like the original.

When my Neon is retired in a couple of years, I will be getting the wife one of the Cooper S models, assuming that's what she wants.

The second coolest car on the market, after the PT Cruiser, and not to hi-jack the tread, but if you haven't driven a GT Cruiser, give them one a spin.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
Dave: You bring up a very important question. Winters can be bad where I live but the way the site talks about the car, it can easily do the winter driving with the added feature of DSC I believe it was called? Can anyone comment on it's winter capabilities? I was told, just some winter tires and everything it fine.
Thank you

PS Nystrom

Second Unit
I've had mine since April of 02 (19000 miles so far) and still grin every time I wake her up in the morning for the ride to work. I agree first gear is rarely smooth, and for some reason mine is really whiny, especially with the AC on. You don't hear it when in motion, but at a stop it's very weak sounding. One person even asked me if it was an electric car after he heard me drive up at a parking lot. But that's all the bad news I can come up with.

I'm averaging about 29 mpg - less than I was hoping - but I do mostly city driving. Once again I agree with the others here that the most exciting part of driving the MINI is not the speed, it's the size and maneuverability. The temptation to just squeeze in and around anything or anyone is very big. Speaking of big, I'm six feet tall and there is tons of room in the car. Have no fear about fitting in, especially if you don't plan on having rear seat passengers very often.

If I had to do it again, I would seriously consider the MINI S. You couldn't even test drive one at the time I bought my Cooper, so I have no idea what they're like, but the idea of all that extra power makes me a teeny bit envious. Still, I prefer the look of the MC over the MCS and the money saved on insurance is probably substantial, so I don't 'wonder' too often what I'm missing.

Even after having the car for a year (not to mention the large amount of press and especially the high-profile inclusion in 'The Italian Job') I still get people asking me "What kind of car is that?" And thankfully I'm no longer boxed in on all sides by onlookers on the freeway!

Pieter

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
I've had mine since April of 02 (19000 miles so far) and still grin every time I wake her up in the morning for the ride to work.
I remember your posts from back then, you bought a red/white Cooper as well, no?

Let me ask you, after 19,000 miles do you still feel the urge to just go out for a drive for absolutely no reason? :D

Because, I find myself just driving around and looking for construction zones so I can slalom between the orange cones ... :D

PS Nystrom

Second Unit
My excuse for going on a drive is burning a new mix CD. I have to find out if the songs go well together while on the road, right?

It's still a pretty big deal here if I drive past another Mini during my day, so imagine my shock when I went to Paris a couple of weeks ago - that city is crawling with old and new Minis! Turn your head and there's another one, usually silver if new and often red if old. Our hotel room overlooked a sizeable intersection near the Notre Dame and I would often see multiple Minis waiting at one red light. That just doesn't happen where I live. It made me wonder what London was like? I've never been there but I bet it is Mini central!

Pieter

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
Interesting series of posts. The one item that seems to come back most often is how much fun it is to drive that little car to the point where a few of you deliberately go out of your way to find obstacles to swerve around. :) Most car comments are related to items such as style, power and interior space (especially SUVs). But I don't remember the last time a car has ever generated so many comments along the lines of "fun".

There's a beautiful brown/black Cooper S in my neighborhood which is usually parked in front of my building. I often wonder how that car would look like in my indoor parking spot. :D

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Most car comments are related to items such as style, power and interior space (especially SUVs). But I don't remember the last time a car has ever generated so many comments along the lines of "fun".
You have to test drive one, to fully experience it.
The "go-kart" like ride and handling is definetelly not a marketing gimmick.

The car has some ridiculous personality as well.

I get kids from 5 years old to older retired people pointing at it and smiling.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Chad, RE:"Can anyone comment on its winter capabilities?"

I come from that state where the buffalo are just humps under our excessive snowfall in winter, (NOT!!), so here’s what little I can tell you about possible northern tier performance.
You get All-Season Traction Control (ASC) standard in the “S”
You can add Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) in the C or S for sugg retail $500.
Fog Lamps (halogen free-form) to C or S for $ 140
Heated seats come in the ‘cold pkg” combo with heated washer jets/heated mirrors for $ 300.

I had the dealer check, (I had just bought it) if they even sold MC’s in CO. (yes) Mine was equipped with the 205/45R-17” perf. run flat tires The 18 yr. old took my mini to Col. In the ‘great snowstorm’ March record in 50/100 years, No one knew it was coming or he would not have gone out the door. He was in the hardest hit area, near Evergreen where roofs collapsed. The mini sat in underground parking during the week it hit, but he left for home on schedule on plowed roads at the end of the storm when they were cleaning up.
He complained about the Xenon lights (an upgrade) which made for a blinding white wall, while driving around town when snow was falling at onset of storm. I believe he could have turned off the main HL, and tried the fog alone, I don’t know if he did.

They do ride low, don’t go for the areo kit which lowers the already low front valance clearance.
I think for cleared groomed snow roads, traction would not be an issue (with S-tires) Texans don’t own snow tires for a winter set, what we really need at times are ice crampons :) . Last years 2 inch sheet of black ice was challenging (city wide bumper car rally)! (DFW falls apart when we get snow/ice/slush. I would think the drawbacks to a mini would equal those of any low riding 4 door eco-sedan or import, in northern locations, - you will always be in danger of knocking your val. trim and banging your undercarriage with ice/snow buildups. (None of these cars will handle rural cross country, - what a truck with a lift kit and on-board wench can). Trucks are great for clearance but not traction, ‘truck bubba’s” in Texas are egiits on ice/water. They are notoriously overconfident about clearance and bulk and ‘tough car’ image, finding out what a light rear end on longer WB, will do to a hydroplane/traction threshold, with surprising regularity. There’s a low lake road near me that floods throughout the year, its humorous to see a mans face behind the wheel of his indestructible truck when he goes floating by.

MINI C. Weight spread, front to rear is 63/37. Not balanced by any racing standards and it would swap tail to nose if it let go. But that’s your advantage in a Mini…it is low, it's Frnt WD, and it STICKS!.
Decreasing the odds you’ll ever deal with centrifugal force.
I drive with the TC Off all the time, (due to that 1st gear bog), and have no issues controlling the little bugger, on cones where you shift weight rapidly off outside wheels onto loaded inside-radius..
I believe I have heard my husb mention the SC works at higher efficiency in the cold, helpful at higher altitudes, Texas, as summer heat rises I can feel a lower level of performance from the SC. I’m wondering ifthe JCW kit will help pwr levels for my climatic conditions, I believe considering the SC at higher altitudes would be of great benifit.

Its a lot less car to dig out of a drift, but will disapear quicker I would think! :)

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Mary, did you buy your's local or did you go out of state? I've been thinking about getting one for a while now. Possible a loaded base model with the CVT. I'm just curious how the local dealerships are. I've heard some Mini dealers force upgrades on you so they can pad their pockets a bit.

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Keith .. if you do not find what you are looking for locally MINI of the Hamptons here in Long Island, NY has quite a lot of them in stock and ready to ship.

Here is a post from them on the MCO boards:

http://www.minicooperonline.com./mod...13530&forum=35

Basically if you know the geographical location of the Hamptons, you will understand why they have excessive stock. Not to mention that for anyone driving out to them in Long Island, there are 2 other MINI dealers way closer to NYC, so buyers probably never make it out there.

Give them a call ...

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Local: You don’t state if your considering the S (or CVT only on C model?) with the “S’ model in particular its not a question of ‘forcing’ options so much as rather…do they have what options you prefer on-site or coming in next couple of months. (they can pull up a list of deliveries dealer ordered, with estimated arrival dates and options on which units you could place a deposit) Back In March, (I would heavy web chat surf to see if this has changed), there was no wheeling and dealing, because of high demand and rapid inventory depletion.
We actually bought ours on accident (not good communicative skills between my spouse and me on the topic at that time) We bought it because I thought he wanted it, and he thought I wanted it! (found this out after we brought it home). Turns out it was so much fun to own anyway, any tragedy over this miscommunication evaporated as an issue.
My understanding: 3 dealerships in Texas, John Roberts Dallas, Moritz (sp?) in Arlington (or FW). And a dealer slated to open in San A. in July. The next nearest from the panhandle would be OK.
I purchased at JR’s, and am highly displeased with them. IF I purchase the JCW’s upgrade I will check out the Moritz Service Dept. to see if I feel their competency levels are higher.

When we first shopped (and the yr prior) since they can fly off the lots like hotcakes, many paid a 2-5K dealer added premium around the states if you purchased from inventory. With the large lists of options you can easily (including the premium tack-on) pay close to (over) 30K for a completely loaded S.

My understanding is that BMW will not allow the dealer to add the dealer markup if the owner places a build order and awaits delivery, - if policy has not changed. There were some stories around the country that dealers were deliberately unhelpful when preorders were delivered during last year and the first year of stateside launch, because they could sell a preordered (at a markup) after it was on site, - at least 3 times over within a couple of weeks, but that was early days and should be less of an issue. We paid a 2K premium to buy our S off the lot, plus they had to give the guy who had already put a 1K deposit on our unit, - a freebie upgrade for him to wait on the one that was coming in (same colors/options) in about 14 days. He was having trouble finalizing financing so he gave it up to us (for undisclosed perk), as he could not have taken delivery for a week or so anyway.

Consider placing a build order, with your option preference (and there is a fun palette of choices) and then I believe you can get it at sticker. Just be careful to have Dealer/purchaser mutually agreed upon option pricing on your purchase order (in writing) when you submit a deposit for build.

While its true there is an ‘extensive’ option list, (3 pkgs. you can add (pre/sport/cold), + other individual options). I think if your budgeting the base model C or S, according to Car & Driver (?) its still a well equipped unit and personally I feel the street presence, is not dramatically different when seeing a base Vs loaded model go down the road.

IF you consider the CVT which became avail in 03, I would do a couple of extensive test drives with it, ( I LOVE the paddle idea) but shied away myself since I have performance oriented males breathing down my back and it has received mixed reviews.

“After starting the engine and putting the gear lever into 'D' position, pressing on the accelerator produces a slight jerk as the CVT engages. There's also a slight jerk as you roll to a stop. Regular automatic transmissions aren't as jerky as this. I also noticed that the car 'creeps' while waiting at a traffic light - you have to keep you foot on the brake to stop the car from moving forwards, even on a slight uphill grade.

Pulling away gently in the CVT-equipped Cooper, acceleration is acceptable, but it's not until about 2000 rpm that the engine suddenly picks up speed, and the car starts to accelerate quicker. In normal driving around town, this is OK, but if you floor the throttle from a standing start, initial acceleration is weak, and about 2000 rpm the engine picks up speed and revs quickly to the redline where it seems to wait while the car 'catches up' with it - a weird sensation for most people. My sense is that the Cooper CVT is quite a bit slower off the mark than the Cooper 5-speed, ..”
http://ca.autos.yahoo.com/cd/tstdrv/...coopercvt.html
From a Canada Driver review, (nod to Chad)! I’ve read several reviews of the CVT systems coming on various models also on the “Spider” which run on the same lines as the above review. (someone quick on their stick will currently out preform these), But for mixed pleasures and convenience depending on driving (lots of stop/go) could weight that option to-wards a priority for you.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I was under the impression that the base Cooper is either CVT or manual, and the S is manual only. Is this changing? The Mini website still shows the tranny options like that. I don't want the bother of a stick, so that's why I'm not considering the S, too bad though, I like the extra power.

As far as options, I want it all. I currently drive a loaded Jetta, and so I want everything I got. Unfortunately as near as I can tell Mini's don't have power seats, what a nuisance. I want just about every option but the navigation system (don't want to lose the center mounted speedo). And now the Mini site shows some of the dealer added options and some of those are tempting, clear bra, flag roof decals, other little bits and pieces like that. So I won't mind some dealer addons if the price isn't too bad.

A friend of mine was shopping for a Mini a while back in KC. At that time he heard BMW wasn't allowing dealers to sell over sticker, however some dealers were requiring addons so they could pad their prices a good bit. I believe the dealership in KC requires $900 in addons on every car they sell, something like that.

I am troubled by the lack of dealers in DFW. I live in Wylie, which is way on the NE side of Dallas, and work in Richardson. I'll have to do some research on John Roberts to see if they're going to be worth the hassle. I wish my local BMW dealer had opened a Mini store, they're only a few blocks from my office, just up from the VW dealer.

I may just wait a bit though. I hear new engines are coming, I think the current one is a French built engine and they are changing to something else. Plus the longer they've been here the more demand will drop, and the dealers will have to be nicer, I hope.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
I’m not up on the tranny choices Vs model since I only was interested in one version and you are correct no power seats (frown) wish they’d add that option!
They can charge what they want for what’s on the lot, so patience in purchase (ordering) is the key to a good deal until the mini reaches the status of vehicles where you can expect to regularly deal under MSRP. At est 20,000. Shipped over per year, I don’t know the expectations for that happening, if consumer demand remains high.

Possibly end of 2005 the motor will become French built. Currently the motor is via
Tritec Motors Ltda. of Brazil, a joint venture of BMW and DaimlerChrysler

Because BMW wants to get away from Daimler who forced the takeover at Chrysler, they are considering having a new small-motor built in future through a partnership with PSA Peugeot Citroën slated to go into the MINI among other cars.
The 1.6L TRITEC Supercharged engine (MCS) (the MINI’s current powerhouse) was “awarded one of the 10 best engines in the world by the highly respected Ward's Automotive publication magazine
…Metal Timing chain instead of a rubber timing belt), reliability and good power and performance above 2,000 RPM”.
MINIS are built at BMW Group's Oxford facility
With the engines coming out of the Brazil plant. Supposedly the engine is the only non-European component found in the current MINI.

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
I have a CVT on my Cooper and the tranny feels pretty good to me. Like Mary said, if you step on it, it does have a certain lag until it engages but it is smooth as butter once it gets going.

Actually, in stop-and-go traffic where you are doing 0-10 mph, it does have a jerky feeling like a manual. Some CVT owners complain about this, I think it feels "different" and rather unique.

Have not tried to drive it using the clutchless manual mode yet (have to figure this out yet), but have really no complaints with the CVT.

Must say though that the car with the A/C on full blast, does begin to cry off the mark, but once again at cruising speed it is flawless.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks