Miles Davis fans, check this out!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithH, Sep 29, 2002.

1. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

A colleague told me about this a few days ago, and I just found it on the web:
    The Complete Miles Davis at Montreux: 1973-1991
    * 20 CDs, $200 at Amazon, available October 15th
    Here is the link:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...15169?v=glance
    I am guessing that Sony will not be releasing this set on SACD. [​IMG]

2. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

20 CDs!
    [​IMG]
    Wow.
    Oh well, here comes another delay in getting those rear speakers I wanted. This set looks freakin' amazing.
    There is a DVD from Montreaux that I haven't picked up yet, but I would assume that the music from that DVD is on this new box set.

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mike, yeah, knowing Sony, the 20-disc box set would be its first foray into hybrid discs. Of course, Sony would wait a few months after releasing the standard CD set before releasing the hybrid set. That way, Sony could get the true fans to buy it twice! [​IMG]
    I am not really thinking about the Miles Davis box sets yet, especially this monster. There are still a lot of albums I want. Just this weekend, I picked up six Miles Davis CDs, and I have six coming in the mail. I'm on quite a quest here.

4. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mike said:

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Oh, I said:

7. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Keith,
    Of course, I do need to drive to my job, which is where I get the money for the music. If I still have it... (tech industry nowadays, you know... *eep*)
    As for "enough" music- my latest count at number of CDs (not including high-res, classical, and other miscellaneous stuff) was 1170. Some would say I'm all set. I would disagree. I'm just gettin' started. [​IMG]
    I'll be surprised to see this set sell a lot. There is a very small audience for Miles' 80s material.
    Keith, with all your recent Miles collecting (good job, btw), have you dabbled into this era of his music?
    NP: Nitty Gritty Surround, DVD-A

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mike, I was thinking you could walk to work. [​IMG]
    You said:

9. Steven Hen

Steven Hen Stunt Coordinator

1170, 1850 cds...wow and you guys are "just getting started"! I am at about 400 of which 70 are jazz, 50 reggae, handfull of blues, couple few classical and about 300 of yesterdays "alternative rock" that I've pretty much lost interest in and 56 SACDs.

Anyway, I'm looking to pick up Miles In a Silent way. Any suggestions on what version, cd, boxset cds and/or the SACD?

NP Dexter Gordon L.T.D.

10. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Steven,
    Your CD collection is too small. You are not cool enough to hang out with us.
    *fixes pocket protector, snorts, and receives wedgy from jock*

For In A Silent Way, I have the recently released remastered CD. The SACD is multi-channel and I do plan on getting it, but I consider the CD a must because the SACD is not hybrid, therefore not playable in long car rides. I like to use that kind of music to bore all my friends to sleep on road trips when I want them to shut the hell up for a while.

I'm sure Keith could tell you about the original version, remastered version, remixed version, re-altered version, and Special Japanese Silver XRHDQW CD version. I just need one for the car and one for the home.

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mike said:

12. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

13. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

allmusic.com has a very positive review of this set:
    Montreaux box
    Oh man, I want this so bad.
    NP: Thelonious Monk, Jazz Workshop

14. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

Of course, if you want to get a bunch of prime Miles *really* cheap, emusic.com has a *lot* of the Fantasy/Prestige catalog available. $9.99 a month for the all the MP3s you can download. (The MP3s are open, fully burnable and copyable.)

Obviously, the sound quality will not approach a decent CD, but the price is sure right. This is great (and legal) way to sample hours of music, then you can go cherry-pick the best stuff on the real CDs.

They've got a wide range of classic Fantasy jazz albums, other Fantasy artists like CCR and Issac Hayes, tons of 50s rock (like the Chuck Berry Chess Box, Little Richard, Buddy Holly, etc.), newer stuff (like the current album by the Hives) and a ton of George Carlin comedy records. Check it out.

Ryan

15. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mike, I'll look around for those DCC gold CDs. Perhaps I can find them cheap as you did. I'm sure there is some great stuff there. It has to be great. [​IMG]
    I would love to buy the Montreux box set, but I will hold off on while I continue picking up the albums.
    The review on allmusic.com says:

16. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

17. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Dumb question - what's "DAD", will it play on a redbook CD player, and, if so, where do I get "Blue Train"? Is my only option to luck out on eBay?

18. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Rich,
    DAD is "Digital Audio Disc," which is the least helpful acronym I've ever heard.

It's actually a DVD that has music in 24/96 resolution for two channels. Therefore, it is not playable on CD players but is on all DVD players.

Blue Train and other DADs from Classic Records can be purchased on elusivedisc.com, which is where I get them from. I also found one by John Lee Hooker in Tower Records.

NP: Anekdoten, From Within

19. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

For anyone actually interested in ordering this monster, Best Buy has it for $250, so Amazon looks like the place to get it for now.
    I just opened a credit account for them so that I could order it. They estimate it's arrival at my doorstep for the end of the month.
    I can't wait.
    I will post many reviews if you like. [​IMG]

20. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer