What's new

Microwaving Water Dangerous! (1 Viewer)

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Not as fun as Peep Jousting* but still fun.

*Put two marshmallow peeps 4" across from each other on a plate and stick a toothpick into the center of each Peep. As the marshmallow bird expands in the microwave one of them should lance the other (this Peep is the "winner"). Then eat the steamy hot Peeps.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
This is why it helps to put a stick or something else not made of metal in the cup.

BTW just because snopes says something doesn't make it true.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
To be clear, Snopes only confirms that it can happen from a technical standpoint. However, they also mention it would require "perfect conditions" for it to occur.

I don't think there is any doubt the stories that get passed along with the warning about it are false.

-Keith

FredMihir

Auditioning
Real Name
FredMihir
great work...its wonderfull
signature_deepthakur.jpg
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Well I tried make it happen last night with a Pyrex bowl and filtered water from fridg. I cleaned the bowl and tried to ensure there were no contaminations. No Luck though - the water started boiling. :crazy:

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
^^ If there's even the slightest scratch in the bowl, it will boil. I assume a brand new Pyrex bowl would need to be used.

p.s. They've done these "myths" both on Mythbusters and Food Detectives.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
In chemical labs, small chips of ceramic or glass are put in the bottom of beakers which are to be filled with water & put over the Bunsen burner to boil, for much the same reason. Superheating is less of an issue under the circumstances, but the chips help to ensure good uniform boiling.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks