What's new

MGM's Fireball 500/ Thunder Alley & Panic In Year Zero/ The Last Man On Earth (1 Viewer)

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Oh goody! :)

Ray Milland was great, wasn't he? I love X: The Man with the X-Ray Eyes. Milland's performance is one of the the greatest in Sci-fi Cinema, I feel.

Milland continues to be underappreciated, which is a shame. He is one of my favourite American actors. His awesome dialogue-heavy scene with Anthony Dawson in Dial M for Murder is one of Cinema's finest scenes, I feel. Ray's measured, confident, razor-sharp delivery coupled with the film's exquisite editing, is a veritable tour de force. Panic in the Year Zero is a paranoid gem and Milland did a fine job on both sides of the camera. Great stuff!

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
For those of you acquiring these Midnite Movies through Canadian e-tailers, could you tell me whether or not the packaging is any different from the forthcoming US release? Most noteably, I was wondering about bilingual packaging, etc.

Thanks.

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Paul -

The versions sold in Canada do not have any french language on them - probably the only difference is the small rating symbol near the bottom on the back cover. Hope this helps.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I've got three of the new wave so far from Canada and only one is dual language. Die Monster Die!/The Dunwich Horror has both French and English on the sleeve (not that it's ever bothered me in the slightest)

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I hope I don't come across as ignorant, but are there people in Canada who don't understand English? And so there perhaps is a need for bi-lingual covers for DVDs? I was a bit miffed when my Raging Bull: 2-Disc arrived with a bi-lingual cover. I mean, you'd have be a total goof not to realise that the DVD you were looking at was not Martin Scorsese's Raging Bull starring Robert De Niro as Jake LaMotta! Marketing, who needs it! :D

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Gordon,

Bi-lingual covers in Canada are the law. Quebec is a primarly french speaking province, and since Canada is a Bi-Lingual country, the majority of packaging has to have french and english packaging.

Now, at the risk of sounding like an ignorant, redneck westerner (I don't own a pick-up truck with a gun rack, HONEST!), all the Quebecers I have met can speak pretty good English, and all the french-Canadians I have spoken to would prefer either all english or all french packaging, but the companies can save money by doing bi-Lingual packaging, so no Canadians are truely happy with any of their collectables packageing. Seriously a english/ french cover in a amery case with a french/english version printed on the flip side that can be reversed to fit in the case for the french people is the most retarded thing anyone has ever come up with.

Travis W.

Second Unit
I picked up a version of The Last Man on Earth from Madacy I believe, got it at Best Buy as well. It only cost $4.99 and it was 2.35:1 widescreen. This was over a year ago. I'm curious as to how the MGM version stacks up, if I get the time I'll do some screenshot comparisons.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Russell! I love Canadian and Canada herself, but I was just confused over the bi-lingual thing.

There's a nice review for Panic and Last Man over at DVD Drive-In

I can understand why Matheson (who himself is a legend in my universe) feels shakey about Last Man, but on it's own terms, it is a fine movie with one of Price's best performances and the stark monochrome CinemaScope cinematography is glorious. But it is a shame that a definitive screen adaptation of I am Legend has never been filmed.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
John, my local Best Buy didn't have them either-- not in the computer, nothin'. They did have BRING ME THE HEAD OF ALFREDO GARCIA for $10, which is weird as they never get catalog titles in on time. Why bother making these "Best Buy Exclusives" if you're not even going to carry them?

Martin S

Stunt Coordinator
For those of us that cant get to a BEST BUY (ie..ain't in the USA)are there any online retailers that are carrying these? I really want that LAST MAN...disc!

Martin S

Stunt Coordinator
oops sorry....should have read the thread better.
I was actually hoping for somewhere that wasn't DVD soon though, as I've heard some not so great things about them.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Martin S

It does look like DVDSoon is about the only option right now and I have ordered from them in the past with questionable results. They don't get things by street date nor look as though they have warehouses of items at hand. You can pick up some good bargins through DVDSoon but expect a delay in getting your items, 1-2 weeks sometimes.

Eric

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Is Canada R1? Is there any difference in DVD's from there and here?

If they're identical, then DVDSoon.com is the way to go before something happens and Best Buy decides not to sell them!!!

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I received my DVD of Panic in Year Zero/Last Man on Earth, from DVDSOON yesterday. It cost me under $7, so it was a great deal. They are slower than other retailers in shipping, but I'm very patient when it comes to getting my DVDs so I don't mind the longer wait.

Martin S

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the Amazon.ca recomendation. I got one from there. Funny how that carries it and Amazon.com doesn't.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Thanks for the heads up from www.thedvdforums.com , I've just seen this from DVD Savant:

"People are scrambling to find leftover copies of MGM's recalled double bill of Panic in Year Zero / Last Man on Earth, which may soon be fetching astro-inimic, aztroh, apspa ... very high prices on Ebay."

Recalled? Anybody know what's going on?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks