What's new

MGM's Fireball 500/ Thunder Alley & Panic In Year Zero/ The Last Man On Earth (1 Viewer)

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I'm curious too. I'd order it from the Canadian e-tailers, but none of them seem to have it in stock (of course). Any advice?

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I emailed Glenn at DVD Talk, still no concrete reason for the recall, but he's just replied thus:

"Down here, the double bill got into stores, but few were sold. Some people brought copies to checkout, and then had them confiscated before purchase because of the recall.

"Reviewers got copies and your Canadian folk sent out a few, and then the recall hit them two and they're all on back order.

"It's tentatively back on the schedule for September - but that's all up for grabs as nobody knows what Sony will do to the release schedule after June 1.

"At the very least, they may be repackaging it in a Sony box. There's no talk of MGM Home Entertainment existing as a separate unit ... like, bye bye.

"At least it will get rid of the annoying MGM logo that repeats on everything.

"And although Sony discs are more expensive, they may take more seriously the restoration of big movies like MAD WORLD, ALAMO and HAWAII.

"Then again, their hands are going to be so full, they may just sit on a lot of projects for years. Sony's restoration departments are tiny compared to MGM's."

I'd put good money on this being the same reason the R1 Spaghetti SEs haven't been announced as yet...

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
I think it would be really crappy for Sony to pull titles that are ready to sell (and some already have apparently) and cancel people's orders on it at a lower price. Why can't they just sell what was already slated "as is" and then make their changes on titles not already slated?

I had Panic/Last man ordered from DVDSoon but it only says "In Transit" and been that way going on 2-weeks now. Looks like I missed out :frowning:

Eric

AlanBrom

Second Unit
I truly hope that Sony's takeover doesn't mean the end of the Midnite Movies series. I really looked forward to these year after year, especially in late August. I think I'm going to go weep in a corner now :-(

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
To me, The Last Man on Earth, despite Price's intense performace (I'm a big fan of VP) didn't hold up after recently watching the new DVD. I won't go into detail, but I just felt that the film is stilted and has too many illogical and unsuited campy moments. At least the grim, almost austere scope cinematography can finally be appreciated.

Panic in the Year Zero! retains it's unusual power. But that goddamn awful score still intrudes on what is a very dark film for 1962. Milland is excellent as always and he handled the film very well I feel. But man that score tarnishes the impact the film should have.

Incidentally, has anyone here read Milland's autobiography, Wide-Eyed in Babylon? He is fast becoming one of my favourite Golden Age actors. I know that he led a conventional life and was never in the tabloids, no scandals, no dirt on Reginald Alfred Truscott-Jones! It's OOP but I know where I can get a copy.

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
I was at a local A&B Sound here in Vancouver and they had three copies on the display rack - but for how long.....

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Ordered mine from SOON last week and it's still pending.

I called and they said that sometimes it will take up to 4 weeks to fill an order and if you like they will cancel your order if that's too long.

I'll give it another week. :thumbsdown:

Mark Lx

Second Unit
I actually saw Panic and Last Man (great film) back to back on Space a few years ago and taped it. LMOE is one of Price's better movies I think. This is currently DVDsoon's top seller it seems. I got it at A&B sound for about the same. They charge more for the Midnite movies if one (or both) have an "R" rating, which is kind of stupid. Two-headed transplant is another favorite, especially Bruce Dern.

Milland is a favorite of mine two. I especially like that film where he plays an alcoholic.

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc
As of this morning, the status of the PANIC IN YEAR ZERO and FOUR SKULLS OF JONATHAN DRAKE discs over at amazon.ca have gone from "ships in 3-4 weeks" to "Usually ships in 24 hours" so it looks like they got some more in.

Anybody trying to find these should go get 'em quick. Just a few days ago they were impossible to find anywhere and now they're back at least for the time being. Just wanted to give the heads up to anyone still going crazy trying to get these. Good luck!

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Has anyone heard of a Canadian site called Cinema Clock? Says that Panic in Year Zero is "In Stock" but Fireball 500 isn't. I've placed an order with them but the shipping is outrageous to the states! Yet, may be my ONLY chance to get a copy before whatever happens!

Eric

Jason-D

Agent
Thanks for the post RE: Amazon.ca, Jeff. I placed my order yesterday and it says on the site that it is being prepared for shipping. It looks like there is finally a recalled DVD that I am not missing out on.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Mine from CinemaClock is also on its way and still shows they have some in stock. But like I said, they only ship FedEx to the states so postage is through the nose. Hope this "recalled" purchase is worth it!

My last purchase like this was the Canadian only recalled version of "Giant" but got it much cheaper.

Shawn_Sek

Stunt Coordinator
quite a few of us got copies of Panic/Last Man shipped out today from amazon.ca. that looks like the bets bet right now.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Ordered mine from Soon on 3/24 and was listed as "PENDING."

Last week it went to "ORDERED."

There still just might be hope!

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
I see a lot of people are able to get Panic and Last Man but has anyone been able to get a copy of Fireball 500?

I ask because I have a copy coming that was shipped Friday from cdplus.com in Canada. They have it and Panic in stock (at least they did) for less than retail (US dollars) and free shipping!

Oh, and received my other copy of Panic from CinemaClock today.

Eric

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks