What's new

MGM to release MANHUNTER Theatrical Cut - FULL SCREEN ONLY!?!? (1 Viewer)

Lone Wolf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Johnny B
This could be a mistake MANHUNTER fans but here is the text taken from the DVDFile site today -

"...although Manhunter is a new full frame-only release of the theatrical cut only, plus a trailer. No word on whether MGM will be releasing the extended/director's cut previously issued by Anchor Bay. Stay tuned..."

I purchased the French Region 2 MGM release of the Original Theatrical Cut and it was anamorphic widescreen so there is still hope that this early report could be innacurate. It certainly doesn't make any sense for it to be released Full Screen Only. Maybe it will contain both Widescreen and Full Screen?

Currently scheduled for AUGUST 24th.

Johnny B.

Jake Johnson

Second Unit
Is there even a market for a fullscreen copy of this? I would think that the fans of this movie would mostly be made up of people who know what widescreen is and why it's better.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
It would make perfect sense that when the true theatrical cut of Manhunter is finally released in Region 1, it would be in fool screen. This is one movie you definitely don't wanna see in 4x3 since the boom mike dips into the frame on several occasions.

Oh well, I'll stick with the overpriced, but very nice R2 DVD that MGM(ironic, isn't it?) released in Japan.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
I have to wonder how accurate this news is, since the recent overseas versions of the true theatrical cut were all released by MGM and are all anamorphic widescreen. Hopefully, this is just a case of mistaken reporting.

Vincent

Eric_B_C

Stunt Coordinator
GRRR! It's bad enough when they waste space on a disk with a laughingly titled "full frame" version...

jason:g

Stunt Coordinator
UGH

This title is designed for widescreen. At the start of the film in the beach scene, you can clearly see that the wide shot is used to situate Will Graham and the other guy on the right and left. Fullscreen version would destroy the cinematic impact of this scene. The rest of the movie is probably ok.

I got the AB "L.E." which includes the laughingly cropped-and-matted "director's cut" version, which is actually a matted full-screen TV version. So I could see how bad it was.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
I'm on the same page as Vincent. I just got a multi-region player and almost bought the R2, but am going to hold off for now (and hopefully retire my laserdisc soon!)

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
If MGM releases this in widescreen it will be the FOURTH cut of the film I will own on DVD.

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor
I highly recommmend a region free player. A DTS version in Japan is being released in April at a very low price--around $9.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
The use of the term "full frame" is actually valid in this instance. Manhunter was a pretty early Super 35 film where the camera is set to expose the full silent camera aperture, and then a 2.35:1 aspect ratio image is extracted from the centre (or top) of the negative.

It is perfectly possibly, but certainly not desirable to make a transfer from the full silent aperture, a transfer that can legitimately be called "full frame". This has been performed for some Super 35 films including Apt Pupil.

Ironically when the film was remade it was filmed in 35mm anamorphic, even though Super 35 is far more common now.

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor
The Divimax is not the true theatrical cut. It is still missing some stuff. The Japanese disc has the complete theatrical version.

Sean Richardson

Stunt Coordinator

Well, that's not quite fair; the original release which claimed to include the theatrical cut was definitely missing stuff. The Divimax release doesn't claim to be the theatrical cut, it's his director's cut. It is missing stuff, though, I'm not disagreeing on that.

This is one of the few VHSes I still have, because (a) I assume they won't re-release it correctly and (b) even if they do, I'm not sure I want a 4th disc in my 'Manhunter' set.

walter o

Supporting Actor
So the bottom line is, is the recent R1 MGM fullframe of MANHUNTER is indeed have allt he scenes missing from the aB edition?

Jeff(R)

Second Unit

Nothing IMO according to specs/reviews, though it's out of print. I just found a used one but haven't received it yet. I'm looking forward to the Mann commentary. Many people however want the true 'theatrical' version (in OAR) that has never been officially released in region 1 in the U.S.

Jeff

Stan

Senior HTF Member
If this is truly full frame, I will never buy or rent it, the studio will not make a penny off of me.

I used to be a projectionist at a theater in the 80s, and am basically obsessed with widescreen. I know how it works, and I know what you're missing if they chop the sides off a film. If a movie is cropped, even the 1.85:1 films, I find it so distracting I can't enjoy watching the movie.

Full frame = no $ from me

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Simon,
wrong way to look at it. It doesn't matter in the slightest what the method of shooting is, the fact of the matter is, this film will not be in it's correct and intended aspect ratio as composed for.

And guys, come on, this is MGM were talking about, do you really believe it's an error? I don't.

I'm beginning to suspect that they get some sort of sick pleasure from pissing us off.

Stan,
you've got a good head on your shoulders there, my freind. :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks