MGM to release MANHUNTER Theatrical Cut - FULL SCREEN ONLY!?!?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Lone Wolf, May 3, 2004.

1. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Stunt Coordinator

This could be a mistake MANHUNTER fans but here is the text taken from the DVDFile site today -

"...although Manhunter is a new full frame-only release of the theatrical cut only, plus a trailer. No word on whether MGM will be releasing the extended/director's cut previously issued by Anchor Bay. Stay tuned..."

I purchased the French Region 2 MGM release of the Original Theatrical Cut and it was anamorphic widescreen so there is still hope that this early report could be innacurate. It certainly doesn't make any sense for it to be released Full Screen Only. Maybe it will contain both Widescreen and Full Screen?

Currently scheduled for AUGUST 24th.

Johnny B.

2. Jake Johnson

Jake Johnson Second Unit

Is there even a market for a fullscreen copy of this? I would think that the fans of this movie would mostly be made up of people who know what widescreen is and why it's better.

3. Adam_ME

Adam_ME Supporting Actor

It would make perfect sense that when the true theatrical cut of Manhunter is finally released in Region 1, it would be in fool screen. This is one movie you definitely don't wanna see in 4x3 since the boom mike dips into the frame on several occasions.

Oh well, I'll stick with the overpriced, but very nice R2 DVD that MGM(ironic, isn't it?) released in Japan.

4. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins

Me too. So far, it's the best version to own.

Jeff

5. Vincent_P

Vincent_P Screenwriter

I have to wonder how accurate this news is, since the recent overseas versions of the true theatrical cut were all released by MGM and are all anamorphic widescreen. Hopefully, this is just a case of mistaken reporting.

Vincent

6. Eric_B_C

Eric_B_C Stunt Coordinator

GRRR! It's bad enough when they waste space on a disk with a laughingly titled "full frame" version...

7. jason:g

jason:g Stunt Coordinator

UGH

This title is designed for widescreen. At the start of the film in the beach scene, you can clearly see that the wide shot is used to situate Will Graham and the other guy on the right and left. Fullscreen version would destroy the cinematic impact of this scene. The rest of the movie is probably ok.

I got the AB "L.E." which includes the laughingly cropped-and-matted "director's cut" version, which is actually a matted full-screen TV version. So I could see how bad it was.

8. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

I'm on the same page as Vincent. I just got a multi-region player and almost bought the R2, but am going to hold off for now (and hopefully retire my laserdisc soon!)

9. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

If MGM releases this in widescreen it will be the FOURTH cut of the film I will own on DVD.

10. Jeff(R)

Jeff(R) Second Unit

[​IMG] It's amazing that this title still isn't available in its OAR from MGM. This film really deserves a better release.

http://www.mgm.com/title_title.do?title_star=MNHUNTER

Jeff

"Technical Details:
    Screen Formats: Standard
    Soundtracks: ENG (5.1 Surround), FR, SP (Mono)
    Subtitles: ENG, FR, SP"

11. Prentice Cotham

Prentice Cotham Supporting Actor

I highly recommmend a region free player. A DTS version in Japan is being released in April at a very low price--around $9.

12. Simon Howson

Simon Howson Screenwriter

The use of the term "full frame" is actually valid in this instance. Manhunter was a pretty early Super 35 film where the camera is set to expose the full silent camera aperture, and then a 2.35:1 aspect ratio image is extracted from the centre (or top) of the negative.

It is perfectly possibly, but certainly not desirable to make a transfer from the full silent aperture, a transfer that can legitimately be called "full frame". This has been performed for some Super 35 films including Apt Pupil.

Ironically when the film was remade it was filmed in 35mm anamorphic, even though Super 35 is far more common now.

13. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

What's wrong with the Anchor Bay Divimax release?

14. Prentice Cotham

Prentice Cotham Supporting Actor

The Divimax is not the true theatrical cut. It is still missing some stuff. The Japanese disc has the complete theatrical version.

15. David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell Screenwriter

Ugh. What a mess.

16. Sean Richardson

Sean Richardson Stunt Coordinator

Well, that's not quite fair; the original release which claimed to include the theatrical cut was definitely missing stuff. The Divimax release doesn't claim to be the theatrical cut, it's his director's cut. It is missing stuff, though, I'm not disagreeing on that.

This is one of the few VHSes I still have, because (a) I assume they won't re-release it correctly and (b) even if they do, I'm not sure I want a 4th disc in my 'Manhunter' set.

17. walter o

walter o Supporting Actor

So the bottom line is, is the recent R1 MGM fullframe of MANHUNTER is indeed have allt he scenes missing from the aB edition?

18. Jeff(R)

Jeff(R) Second Unit

Nothing IMO according to specs/reviews, though it's out of print. I just found a used one but haven't received it yet. I'm looking forward to the Mann commentary. Many people however want the true 'theatrical' version (in OAR) that has never been officially released in region 1 in the U.S.

Jeff

19. Stan

Stan Producer

If this is truly full frame, I will never buy or rent it, the studio will not make a penny off of me.

I used to be a projectionist at a theater in the 80s, and am basically obsessed with widescreen. I know how it works, and I know what you're missing if they chop the sides off a film. If a movie is cropped, even the 1.85:1 films, I find it so distracting I can't enjoy watching the movie.

Full frame = no $ from me

20. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Simon,
    wrong way to look at it. It doesn't matter in the slightest what the method of shooting is, the fact of the matter is, this film will not be in it's correct and intended aspect ratio as composed for.

And guys, come on, this is MGM were talking about, do you really believe it's an error? I don't.

I'm beginning to suspect that they get some sort of sick pleasure from pissing us off.

Stan,
    you've got a good head on your shoulders there, my freind. [​IMG]