What's new

DANCES WITH WOLVES widescreen theatrical version in "Best Picture" box set? (1 Viewer)

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Years ago, Image released the theatrical cut of Dances with Wolves on DVD in dual DD/DTS versions, now long out of print. There are currently two versions of the film available on DVD from MGM: a full-screen version of the theatrical cut, and a widescreen version of the extended edition.

I own the extended edition, and I'm looking for a widescreen DVD of the theatrical cut to complement it. I figured I'd have to track down a used copy of one of the Image releases, but I was at Best Buy today and saw that MGM's "Best Picure Collection" box set included a version of Dances that was advertised as being presented in widescreen and running 181 minutes (which is the length of the theatrical cut). I didn't like that I had to purchase the whole box set for just one movie, but MGM did the same thing with Manhunter, whose theatrical cut is available in widescreen only in the "Hannibal Lecter Collection" box set (at least initially--I think it has since been released individually), so I didn't think too much of it.

Unfortunately, I came home to find that while the case advertises the film as 181 minutes, the disc actually contains the 236-minute extended edition. In fact, it's the exact same disc that's available individually, sans the 2nd disc of supplemental material.

Of course I'm going to return the DVDs to the store, but I'm curious to know whether any currently-available Dances DVD contains the theatrical cut in widescreen. I recently purchased a DVD of Jeepers Creepers, also from MGM, that was advertised as the "special edition," only to find the "regular" edition in the case, so it would not surprise me to learn that a similar problem affects their Dances DVD, with some copies including the theatrical cut as advertised and others the extended edition. But can anyone confirm whether that's the case, or should I just hit up eBay for the old Image release?

Thanks.

Maggi Magg

Stunt Coordinator

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I would check any local stores that sell used copies of movies.. that is how I got my copy many years ago. I have both versions.

Jacob

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks