What's new

Metropolis? March 12, 2002? (1 Viewer)

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Dvd File lists Metropolis as coming on March 12, 2002. No details at all. There wouldn't be another Metropolis other than the Fritz Lang one, would there?

Greg Black

Second Unit
At first I thought maybe it would be the original, however, since it is being released by Columbia, it is most likely the 2001 Katsuhiro Otomo anime version.
Link Removed

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Is it still April for the new version of the original? I'm really looking forward to that!

GaryEA

Second Unit
While I've never seen the anime version of Metropolis, I do know that it is not an adaption of the Lang film (though it would it great idea).
If you'd like to read a little more about the anime, try here, here, or Link Removed. I don't remember if there are spoilers ahead, so beware.
There's also an official web site, but I can't access it right now (I thinks it's down).
Hope this helps!
Gary

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
I say, Metropolis is a blend of Blade Runner philosophy of independent robots, mixed with A.I. philosophy on intellgence of robots, mixed with Bicentennial Man philosophy of robots having feelings, and mixed with the creativity of expression anime Robot Carnival.
It's a wonderful story. Sony will be releasing this movie in limited release nationwide starting in January 2002. If you need to watch it, watch it when it comes to a theater. It will only sub because Sony wants to preserve the foreign language that the movie was presented in.
Anime is written by Katsuhiro Otomo (director of Akira) and directed by Rin Taro, based on the manga created by Osamu Tezuka (who is the god of anime...basically the anime creator who helped start the whole anime franchise in Japan).

Chris Beveridge

Second Unit
Here's what we posted recently:
Friday, December 14th, 2001
New title announcement (03:51 PM EST): Forum regular "redrum" got an early sheet of information from Columbia Tri/Star that indicates Metropolis will receive a 3/12/2002 street date for 27.95$. According to the preliminary information, it will feature Japanese 5.1 audio, English audio, English, French and Spanish subtitles. Sounds sweet indeed.

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
There is an excellent trailer of the anime Metropolis on the the Columbia Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within DVD.

Tom Oh

Second Unit
Chris, I don't see any reviews for METROPOLIS on your site. I'm eager to see if I should import this one. I know that it does not have any English subtitles, but that's ok with me since I have no problems with Japanese. Have you seen it yet?

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i thought this was being released yesterday?

i went to best buy and they didn't have it in their system. seems like it should get a "mainstream" release?

has anyone else picked this up yet?

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
I'm pretty sure it's coming out on April 23 (according to CNL.com a very reliable Canadian website).

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I think it was scheduled for sometime in March got pushed back. A shame, because it just left theaters here and I want to see it again.

Still, the soundtrack CD did come out a week or so ago to tide me over. Too bad it's got a big, Ray Charles-shaped hole in it.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
thanks michael -
i'm sure you're right. i just checked efilmcritic
they showed a march 12 release for the original, but an april 23rd for the columbia release.
that's another whole month i gotta wait! ggrrrr! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks