What's new

Metallica's Black album (1 Viewer)

RicP

Screenwriter
If I had my way, Metallica would go back in the studio and re-record the album, note for note
Honestly, I doubt they could play this album note for note anymore. I know that James could never duplicate the vocals on "Justice" these days, and now that Newstead has left the band, it's a moot point anyway.

...And Justice For All was produced by the band along with Engineer Flemming Rasmussen. The sonics are somewhat flat and certainly different than the Bob Rock Wall of Sound that's on the Black Album. A lot of the problems I believe are in the mix, and a simple remix and remaster could make that album sound completely different.

Greg:

Get the Japanese Issue of ...Justice... the one with the extra track "Prince", it sounds better than the U.S. release. I do not think this is due to a remastering, but for whatever reason, it's a better experience than the one that's out there now.

The DCC "Puppets" is so incredible that I'm sad that Steve never got to do "Justice", I think that would have come out just awesome.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
I just bought this today. It is AWESOME. I can only hear it in DD 5.1 since my player is a SONY and can't play DVD-A.

I have been pounding my Klipsch RP-3s into submission for the past two hours with this damn DVD. I NEED to get a DVD-Audio player, like NOW. From what I understand, the DVD-A is ALOT better than the DD 5.1 on a DVD-A DVD. Is that true?

I might have to trade someone for a DVD-A player. I have a progressive scan Sony that I can't even use, for progressive anyways. My TV doesn't support HDTV.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
Yeah, that DD mix is a little harsh and the vocals are muddy. BUT, it does show me the potential for multi-channel music. I GOTTA get me a DVD-Audio player!

James D S

Screenwriter
It sounds like this DVD-A disc is one I should have owned by now. I've held off for a while because I hesitate to buy anything Metallica right now, you know... A principles thing.

I have been scouring the local new and used B&Ms for the gold versions of Puppets and Lightning. After having heard the gold Lightning, I can attest to the previous reviews... Must have for any Mettalica fans!

If this DVD-A does for the Black Album what the DCCs did for Puppets and Lightning, it'll be steller. (of course, the source material is in better quality so it's relative.)

I'm putting the Black Album on my eBay watch list as we speak. Thanks guys.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
I couldn't wait any longer! I bought a DVD-A player today! Man, you weren't kidding about the DVD-A tracks kick the crap out the the DD5.1 tracks.

It really is night and day. Now I gotta find ANOTHER DVD-A title to buy. Dammit, how many DVD's CD's and DVD-A's does one person have to buy?!

Oh, and I have noticed that the stereo tracks sound AWESOME on my Sennheiser HD-580's. VERY NICE.

Jagan Seshadri

Supporting Actor
This DVD-Audio disc sounds grating...Maybe that's the way it was recorded, but the drums sound very processed and the treble seems too zingy.
Am I missing something here? My Led Zeppelin CD's sound better. :frowning:
-JNS

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quinnedunn
Recent bookmarks