What's new

Mega-Threads are too cumbersome to be useful. (1 Viewer)

Leo Hinze

Stunt Coordinator
I think the mega-threads are getting out of hand. For example, the AOTC discussion thread. I just spent about two pages wading through an argument between some guy who had a Star Wars spoof line in his thread, and some other guy who thought he was spoiling the movie.

These threads have become so large that 1) it is difficult to keep up with them, and 2)you get tons of irrelevant posts.

What are irrelevant posts? The aforementioned signature content argument, or dozens of posts from people telling us when they are going to the film, or how many times I have seen it. I don't mean to minimize the contributions of people who make these posts, but when I go to a movie discussion post, I would like to discuss the movie itself.

I would guess that there are dozens of separate issues/subthreads going in the Star Wars thread. I personally wanted to discuss/complain about the sound effects used in the movie. I gave up after reading the first 20 out of the 80 pages of posts.

Is it possible to create a separate section on the forum for such large posts? For example, Star Wars, LOTR, Buffy, etc. could have their own link on the main page, and we could have different posts for different topics. We could have a separate topic that allows people to tell us when they plan on seeing the movie. We could have a post for those who think Hayden Christensen was brilliant, and one for those who think he couldn't act his way out of a wet paper bag with a pound of C4 and the jaws of life.

I don't know if my suggestion will even work, but hopefully there is a better way to handle the big posts.

Thanks.

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
I will agree with you on the fact that large threads have lots of "irrelevant" content as you described it. But it might not be irrelevant to everyone (to me yes). And it does suck trying to play catchup to a huge thread.

However the reason it is set up this way is to prevent 10, 20, 30 or even more different posts all about SW:AOTC. All of which would still have irrelevant content pop up. But now you have to wade thru a dozen or more individual threads rather than going thru one large on.

I do sympathize with you about some of the individual responses (some of the examples you pointed out) but there isn't anything we can or will do. As long as members behave and act respectful they can discuss it as freely as they wish. When they don't behave or act respectful that is the only time we will ever edit or delete a post.
I personally wanted to discuss/complain about the sound effects used in the movie.
Just go ahead and throw it in the thread then keep up with it from there to see if anyone is discussing what you brought up.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
The organization of Home Theater Forum is settled for the moment. Any further changes would needlessly complicate matters.

View the current situation as a compromise, an attempt to please as many people as possible with the fewest changes possible. These megathreads are cumbersome, to be sure, but it's the best we can do presently.

Paul D Young

Second Unit
I'm taking my wife to see it this weekend.
I can't wait. I've got all the action figures already!

OOPS! I forgot I was in the feedback section. I'll save my useless comments for the After Hours section.:b

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I must defend my Buffy thread. We are ALWAYS on topic. There is no chaff in the Buffytastic or Angelriffic threads

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Jeff: Your Buffytastic marathon is in a class all to itself. You're running a tight ship in that thing!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks