it's showing in 3D here
Disney Movie Rewards points (up to 400) for ticket stubs
good comments in this thread and decent reviews at RT

so I think I'll check it out. :)

Brian W. Ralston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian W. Ralston

Or sit in their horribly small theatre seats that will drive anyone over 5'9" crazy. ugh! At 6'2", I hate sitting in that theatre. The screen and movie presentation is awesome...the pre-show organ is great. But, being extremely uncomfortable with virtually no leg room is just unbearable. I avoid the El Capitan at almost all costs now...and as a result...saving money from their high priced tickets is an added bonus.

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
I saw this in 3-D with my son yesterday. We both liked it a lot. I believe it was only an extra $2.00 here in Ft. Wayne. They called it a performance fee. I also liked the frog trailer a lot.

Working for Peanuts was a nice way to start the experience. I love old cartoons and was glad my son could see it. It's not a great cartoon, but a nice intro. Also, I think they might have done this to show how far 3-D has come. Unfortunately, it hasn't come far. IMHO, it really doesn't benefit the story and is still a novelty, albeit a cool novelty. The technology is better and the flicker isn't as bad but still present. The glasses fit well, even over my prescription pair. I thought they should have had Meet the Robinsons on them making them collectable, but that probably would have added cost to the customer.

Overall, I'd recommend the movie, but don't expect to be wowed by the 3-D.

GregK

Screenwriter
I just checked it out in Fort Wayne as well, and while the first third of the movie felt a bit uneven at times, the pacing improved greatly after that. I thought the 3-D was tactfully done, unlike most of those 3-D movies from the 1980's where they seemed to think "stereoscopic" meant you had to throw or poke something at the screen every couple of minutes.

I'll bet money you saw it at the Carmike theaters. I complained about the faulty Real-D set-up the last time I was there, but the management said "it's supposed to look that way". In short- Carmike doesn't care.

I just saw it at the Rave, and like all Real-D 3-D showings there, it was flicker free.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I think the film just flounders when we finally get to the future, and never fully grabbed my attention, and then as it plays out, it feels too safe (I know, it's a movie for kids), and just didn't really end all that well, even with a lot of heart-tugging stuff tossed in for good measure.

The animation was good, though, but that's sort of a given nowadays. (Saw a 2-D version of it, and don't really have enough interest to see it again even in 3-D).

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff

Hey Greg. Good to see another Fort Wayne person here. Yes I did see it at Carmike and I agree that they don't care. I've never liked that theater since it opened for many reasons. I didn't know it was shown in 3-D at Rave or my son and I would definently have gone there.

I'm not sure if anyone answered yet, but the Ratatoullie (SP) trailer was shown.

Jeff

Jonesy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Geoff
Jeff and Greg, and anyone else, how about posting some reviews of those theatres in the Movie Theatre Review thread at the top of this forum? Any information that helps people avoid lousy theatres and seek out good ones will help theatres everywhere get better!

I saw Meet the Robinsons today. I thought there was a great movie somewhere in there burdened by too much over-the-top-ness. It was fun, and I didn't regret seeing it, but I don't think I'd ever bother seeing it again.

Driving home, I found myself wondering: If this had been live-action instead of animated, they would have been forced to "reign it in," and rely more on the story and characters instead of so much "flash." They might have ended up with this generation's "Back to the Future."

Cheers,
Jonesy

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
The wife and I saw this over the weekend and thought it was terrible. I can see why Disney bought Pixar because their in-house produced cgi movies can't hold a candle to Pixar's.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I saw this over the weekend only because my daughter wanted to see it for her birthday. Based on the trailer I had seen I was not looking forward to the film - but I thought it was actually decent. I think it's aimed for the 6-10 crowd, but was still fun to watch. But no, it doesn't compare to the Pixar films.

Whatever old Disney short they showed (something about building a boat?) was really terrible. Maybe that was to soften you up for the movie.

The Ratatouille trailer was interesting though.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I saw it in 3D. We did not get the MMouse cartoon, we got the 1953 Donald Duck / Chip and Dale cartoon in 3D. It was very cool.

I liked the movie, but then again the 3D distracted me from the story.

- Steve

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
I was very impressed by the Digital 3-D version; with each release the Real D movies seem to get better.

It was great fun to see "Working for Peanuts" on the big screen. It was beautifully restored and makes we want to see some other classic 3-D material in Real D. As more and more theaters add the equipment, maybe the studios will dust some of this stuff of for midnight screenings or limited re-issue. I'd think stuff like "Hondo", "House of Wax", "Dial M for Murder", "Creature from the Black Lagoon", even the 3-D Three Stooges shorts would be fodder for this idea.

Tarkin The Ewok

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brandon
From my post in the "Track the Movies You Watch 2007" thread:

4/1: Meet the Robinsons (2007) :star::star::star::star: out of :star::star::star::star::star:

This movie does a lot of things very well. I love the quirky characters, the off-the-wall humor, and the sheer imagination of the artistry. The emotional arc of Lewis is familiar but carried out with enough sincerity that it still evokes an emotional response. Bowler Hat Guy's back story has an extremely predictable twist to it, but I still enjoy him as a comedic villain. I saw this in Disney Digital 3-D, and I am still very impressed with the overall effect. It really does feel more immersive, and I hope that the practice becomes more mainstream by the end of the decade.

GregK

Screenwriter
Everything I've heard indicated "Working For Peanuts" was the sole stereoscopic cartoon before "Meet the Robinsons", but if there is another one playing, I would be very interested in finding out the title.

One 3-D extra that apparently isn't making it to all Real-D presentations is the 3-D trailer for "U2-3D" coming in late 2007. It was refreshing to see live action footage shown in Real-D, vs the normal CGI fare. Being a U2 fan helps as well. ;) The preview looks like it's well thought out from a stereoscopic standpoint, with wide shots being in hyper-stereo to always maintain a dynamic 3-D presence.

Steve brings up good points about the possibilities that could be done with the Real-D system, if it is done properly. Almost a month ago I saw "3-D Mania" (aka: Encounters in the 3rd Dimension) and Haunted Castle in the Real-D format. While the substandard presentation at the Carmike Cinemas left a sour taste in my mouth (see previous post), just the fact that iWerks 3-D features were available as a package made me consider the untapped potential of Digital 3-D projection. Warner Brothers and Universal could offer Halloween 3-D packages to theater chains, easily available to them via encrypted downloads. Imagine being able to see House of Wax or Creature from the Black Lagoon sourced from pristine prints in 1080p polarized digital 3-D. Now that would be some Halloween fun worth paying for.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
there are lots of 3d cartoon shorts, but I think Working for Peanuts is the only one from Disney.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Disney also produced "Melody", part of the "Adventures in Music" cartoon series, in 3-D. They also shot a color 3-D short featuring the Mouseketeers for showings at Disneyland. Both were shown at the World 3-D Film Expo II last year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks