What's new

Dr. No (1962)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Title: Dr. No (1962)

Tagline: Now meet the most extraordinary gentleman spy in all fiction!

Genre: Adventure, Action, Thriller

Director: Terence Young

Cast: Sean Connery, Ursula Andress, Joseph Wiseman, Jack Lord, Bernard Lee, Anthony Dawson, Zena Marshall, John Kitzmiller, Eunice Gayson, Lois Maxwell, Peter Burton, Yvonne Shima, Michel Mok, Marguerite LeWars, William Foster-Davis, Dolores Keator, Reginald Carter, Louis Blaazer, Colonel Burton, John Hatton, Byron Lee, Timothy Napier Moxon, Malou Pantera, Lester Prendergast, Diana Coupland, Nikki Van der Zyl, Adrian Robinson

Release: 1962-10-07

Runtime: 110

Plot: In the film that launched the James Bond saga, Agent 007 battles mysterious Dr. No, a scientific genius bent on destroying the U.S. space program. As the countdown to disaster begins, Bond must go to Jamaica, where he encounters beautiful Honey Ryder, to confront a megalomaniacal villain in his massive island headquarters.

There is a Fathom event for Dr. No coming to theaters in August. Sunday August 21st, 2022.

Dr. No 60th Anniversary

https://regmovies.onelink.me/4207629222?deep_link_value=regmovies://movie/HO00012813&pid=MovieDetail

The event is not currently listed on the Fathom website.

I attended a screening of Dr. No as a TCM event on 2021. Also an ACM screening of Goldfinger in late 2020.

I hope more are reissued here in the US.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I’m planning on attending the Fathom screening in August. I attended the TCM screening of Dr. No last year as well.

Goldfinger was also shown in late 2020 by AMC after Connery passed away. I attended the Goldfinger screening as well.

I hope more screenings of the films are on the way in the US market.

Real Name
James
What I have seen of Fathom revivals is pretty dreadful. Picture is usually dim and washed out, poorly focused and sometimes the color balances seems off. Of course, part of the problem could the theaters. Projection is rotten in most chain theaters. I usually try to catch a movie in IMAX because they apparently force theaters to keep projection to their standards.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I would absolutely attend a Fathom screening of Dr. No, especially if it was in conjunction with the film's release on 4k disc.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Dr. No is at the top of my favorite Bond movies (followed by the rest of the 60s Bond films in release order) - I may have to look into this one as I've only seen *one* Bond film in a theater (1973's Live and Let Die).

I've only attended *one* Fathom Event movie (1933's King Kong) and it was quite good.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Dr. No is a longtime favorite of mine.

Fathom can be hit or miss. It obviously depends on what the studio is able to provide. I think also in years past they did a lot of satellite transmissions which sometimes introduced quality issues into the presentations. The more recent ones I’ve seen were presented via DCP (the same way normal theatrical movies are screened) and in those cases it’s been the same quality you’d normally see for anything else at the same theater.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
When I see a Fathom screening, I go in with the attitude of having fun watching a classic movie with a crowd... and then I just hope that the AV quality is good.

The last time I saw a Fathom presentation that disappointed me technically was in 2016 or 2017. Every one I’ve seen since then was perfectly fine, so I no longer hesitate to go if it’s something I want to see.

Seeing “Star Trek: The Motion Picture” in 2019 with Fathom was a lot of fun. I caught two screenings and the crowds were both pretty full, but wildly different. The first screening was boisterous, not quite rowdy, but happy to enjoy the best parts of the film while showing an active sense of humor about dated elements in the production. But no one was laughing at the film in a cruel way; it was more like we were laughing at ourselves and what we used to think was cutting edge. The second screening had a very revenant audience, with everyone at the edge of their seat as if the ending might be different this time, everyone hanging on every word. Both were great experiences.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
The last time I saw a Fathom presentation that disappointed me technically was in 2016 or 2017. Every one I’ve seen since then was perfectly fine, so I no longer hesitate to go if it’s something I want to see.

Seeing “Star Trek: The Motion Picture” in 2019 with Fathom was a lot of fun. I caught two screenings and the crowds were both pretty full, but wildly different. The first screening was boisterous, not quite rowdy, but happy to enjoy the best parts of the film while showing an active sense of humor about dated elements in the production. But no one was laughing at the film in a cruel way; it was more like we were laughing at ourselves and what we used to think was cutting edge. The second screening had a very revenant audience, with everyone at the edge of their seat as if the ending might be different this time, everyone hanging on every word. Both were great experiences.
The May 2022 Star Trek tmp directors edition screening was done very well. No issues with sound or picture.

I will be attending the Dr. No screening in august. Looking forward to seeing Dr. No on the big screen one more time.

Sad to hear about Monty Norman.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I will be attending the Dr. No screening in august. Looking forward to seeing Dr. No on the big screen one more time.

If I can, I will - last time I saw it in a theater was way back in 2013! It might be my favorite in the series. It just moves so well and does a great job at everything it tries.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
If I can, I will - last time I saw it in a theater was way back in 2013! It might be my favorite in the series. It just moves so well and does a great job at everything it tries.
It’s a simple spy story and it feels like a James Bond film. That’s what I appreciate about it.

SuperClark

Second Unit
Real Name
Clark
I like the scene where Bond unwillingly turns in his beretta for a walter ppk, I own both kinda
in BB pistol forms:)

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
Ah, one my first Criterion widescreen laserdiscs. It literally popped off the screen. Goldfinger was even better, you could see every blade of grass in the golf scene. Time to pull my Lowry Blu-ray out in celebration.

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott
DC publish an adaption in their SHOWCASE book.

1657787996267.png

1657788017335.png

1657788105336.png

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
My first experience of James Bond was the double bill release of Dr. No and From Russia with love prior to the Goldfinger release. I was totally blown away. They were and remain my two favorite Bond films - where dialog, acting, and straight forward action drove the story - not special effects. And James was not riddled with angst but just a really cool guy.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks