What's new

Meet John Doe (1941) coming to 4K UHD/Blu-ray from ClassicFlix! (1 Viewer)

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
That's a story I'd like to read more of, is it posted anywhere?

Thanks for asking, I have not and it's quite the tale!

I'm saving it for a new documentary that is in the works by filmmaker Sean Thrunk (SAVING SLICK, RESCUING RO-MAN) about our 40+ years of unique 3-D restoration work.

https://3dfilmarchive.com/3d-film-archive-history/

Stories of my other vault rescues will be shared in Mr. Thrunk's documentary, including:

Over 150 reels of discarded original 35mm camera negatives from THE ABBOTT AND COSTELLO SHOW.

Lost 35mm lenticular color kinescopes of several Jerry Lewis NBC specials from 1957/58.

Missing 35mm color negative cuts from the Star Trek pilot, THE CAGE.

Master YCM SuperCinecolor separation elements on ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET CAPTAIN KIDD.

And more!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Thanks for asking, I have not and it's quite the tale!

I'm saving it for a new documentary that is in the works by filmmaker Sean Thrunk (SAVING SLICK, RESCUING RO-MAN) about our 40+ years of unique 3-D restoration work.

https://3dfilmarchive.com/3d-film-archive-history/

Stories of my other vault rescues will be shared in Mr. Thrunk's documentary, including:

Over 150 reels of discarded original 35mm camera negatives from THE ABBOTT AND COSTELLO SHOW.

Lost 35mm lenticular color kinescopes of several Jerry Lewis NBC specials from 1957/58.

Missing 35mm color negative cuts from the Star Trek pilot, THE CAGE.

Master YCM SuperCinecolor separation elements on ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET CAPTAIN KIDD.

And more!
Question is - how (and through how many hands) did the OCN make it from NJ to LA.

Daniel Melius

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan

FINALLY! Frank Capra's Meet John Doe Restored in 4K and Streets This March​

About 1 hour ago by Staff Writer
Beautifully restored by ClassicFlix, in collaboration with the Library of Congress, Frank Capra's powerful everyman drama Meet John Doe (1941) starring Gary Cooper and Barbara Stanwyck debuts in high definition this March 26th in both a 4K UHD/Blu-ray combo set, as well as a stand alone Blu-ray.
Languishing in public domain purgatory since the inception of home video, this first-ever HD restoration of Doe is sourced from the best available materials housed at the Library of Congress and is arguably the only major film in the Capra canon having not previously received a restoration commensurate with its stature in filmdom.
It will also be available on DVD.
Meet_John_Doe_BD-UHD_800.jpg

Desperate to get her newspaper job back after being downsized, columnist Ann Mitchell (Barbara Stanwyck) figures to create some "fireworks" by contriving a letter from "John Doe"—a man so disgusted with the state of the world that in protest he vows to jump off the roof of city hall at midnight on Christmas Eve. Public reaction to the letter is so overwhelming that Ann not only keeps her job, but she and editor Henry Connell (James Gleason) connive to hire a real John Doe in order to maintain the deception.
Enter "Long John" Willoughby (Gary Cooper), a ball player turned drifter due to a bum arm, and so determined to get his wing fixed that he’s ready, willing and able to play the part. Although his sidekick "The Colonel" (Walter Brennan) disapproves highly of the scheme, Willoughby enjoys the lavish gifts and attention bestowed upon his new-found celebrity in what becomes a "glorious movement". Trouble soon starts, however, when publisher D.B. Norton (Edward Arnold) decides to use John Doe to further his own ruthless political ambitions, running roughshod over Ann and John, or anyone who gets in his way.
In the first of three cinematic pairings, Gary Cooper and Barbara Stanwyck give brilliantly memorable individual performances, but also display a subdued, yet magnetic, chemistry in each of their scenes together. Outstanding support also comes from a bevy of character greats including James Gleason, Walter Brennan, Edward Arnold, Spring Byington and Gene Lockhart, as well as notable performances by Rod La Rocque (in his final film), Irving Bacon, Regis Toomey, Ann Doran and J. Farrell MacDonald.
Based on Richard Connell’s 1922 short story "A Reputation", director Frank Capra chose Meet John Doe as the first release for his newly-formed Frank Capra Productions, which he established with longtime writer-collaborator Robert Riskin, who wrote the screenplay for Doe. A box office success, Doe would also garner an Academy Award nomination for Best Original Story (for Connell and Robert Presnell, Sr.).

Daniel Melius

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
So with todays classicfix announcment it looks like it had a 4k scan done on it with what the library of congress had done on it.

I dont know nothing about film restoration. So if the LOC restored the OCN, is their restoration still.the OCN or is it one generation past the OCN?

Last edited:

Daniel Melius

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
No it sounds like a 4k bu ray combo and also a blu ray only and dvd only. 3 seperate releases. The 4k blu ray combo should be more expensive. Deep discount has combo up for preorder for 31 dollars.

Last edited:

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
So with todays classicfix announcment it looks like it had a 4k scan done on it with what the library of congress had done on it.

I dont know nothing about film restoration. So if the LOC restored the OCN, is their restoration still.the OCN or is it one generation past the OCN?
Others can expound, but the LOC probably preserved/stored the original elements and made protection masters but does not/did not do a Criterion/WAC state of the art level scan, mastering and clean up of audio etc. to get it ready for release.

Daniel Melius

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
Others can expound, but the LOC probably preserved/stored the original elements and made protection masters but does not/did not do a Criterion/WAC state of the art level scan, mastering and clean up of audio etc. to get it ready for release.
I think that aspect is what classicflix was doing for it. They are no.wac or criterion but they seem to do quality work for their releases.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
I think that aspect is what classicflix was doing for it. They are no.wac or criterion but they seem to do quality work for their releases.
and I guess the biggest mystery for this title is if the nitrate OCN elements at UCLA were used. I think that's a no or ClassicFLix would have touted that in the description. Or maybe not.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
and I guess the biggest mystery for this title is if the nitrate OCN elements at UCLA were used. I think that's a no or ClassicFLix would have touted that in the description. Or maybe not.
I don’t believe the Foundation material is accessible to non-rightsholders.

Last edited:

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Whatever the source is for MEET JOHN DOE that’s currently streaming on the Criterion Channel, it’s excellent. Could use a little bit of cleanup and stabilization, but otherwise it’s solid. EDIT- Credit at the end for “Sony Pictures Television”

Looking forward to the ClassicFlix release.

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Whatever the source is for MEET JOHN DOE that’s currently streaming on the Criterion Channel, it’s excellent. Could use a little bit of cleanup and stabilization, but otherwise it’s solid. EDIT- Credit at the end for “Sony Pictures Television”

I intend to pay the optimum street date asking price for this 4K/UHD of Meet John Doe, in order to support ClassicFlix. Their acquisition of Meet John Doe is a major feather in the cap of this growing company, consisting of a small band of commited folks who are doing so much towards saving neglected treasures almost lost.

Bravo, to all involved.

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Guessing here, as I’ve asked no questions, but apparently the OCN did go through Sony’s hands, which may account for the credit, especially if this version is the UCLA analogue material.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
Guessing here, as I’ve asked no questions, but apparently the OCN did go through Sony’s hands, which may account for the credit, especially if this version is the UCLA analogue material.
Reminder for followers of this thread to order this title (it's been talked about for years.) I just put in my pre-order and really looking forward to seeing this restored.

Daniel Melius

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
It has been pushed back to may 14th now the same date that friendly persuasion is coming out. They were both pushed back from april. The aniversary of his death was may 13th 1961. Likewise kino pushed back the 4k release of high noon to may 7th the anniversary of his birth may 7th 1901. It was originally an april release. You cant release gary cooper movies in april when may has always been Gary Cooper month on tcm.

Daniel Melius

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
All parts of the classicflix web site are not up to date. Go to coming soon of the classic flix website and click on meet john doe blu ray. The release date now states may 14th.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks