What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Bob Furmanek said:
If done properly, I'm not opposed to the idea, so long as the original version is always available.

Personally, if I had the money, I would pay to convert flat elements on lost 3-D films, such as TOP BANANA and BANDIT ISLAND.

Crazy, huh?! :)

http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/lost-3-d

http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/home/top-10-3-d-myths/1953-anaglyph-films
Not crazy in the least. I saw the latest G.I. Joe movie in 3D and compared to the not-ready-for-prime-time results on some other conversions, I walked away rather impressed. Stereo D have really upped their game in conversion, and I would love to see them not only tackle conversions for films like the ones above, but also optimise native 3D from the classic era.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Hey Bob,

Anything new on the release of any of your titles on Blu-ray 3D?

Thanks,

Roland

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I wish we knew definitely which classic Columbia 3-D title Twilight Time will be releasing in 2014.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Still, there's all that teasing evidence pointing toward Miss Sadie Thompson (like, the RealD print showing at the Expo)...I'd prefer Vincent over Rita myself, to go with Warner's House of Wax promise, but it's just too even money at the moment to predict.

Right now, most are just too busy figuring out how Scream Factory could still be dropping such hints about Amityville 3D, if "nobody" worked on it. But we'd need an 80's-3D expert to know for sure.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Bob Furmanek said:
Pretty sure it's MAD MAGICIAN.

Yeah, everybody seems to think so.

A 3-D blu-ray of The Mad Magician is good and most welcome, but I hope it will be some other Columbia.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Man in the Dark, shorts Spooks and Pardon my Backfire, Gun Fury, Miss Sadie Thompson in stereo sound!, Mad Magician. Did I miss any? I would vote for Miss Sadie Thompson.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Only a few.
Ejanss said:
Right now, most are just too busy figuring out how Scream Factory could still be dropping such hints about Amityville 3D, if "nobody" worked on it. But we'd need an 80's-3D expert to know for sure.
No such thing as an '80's 3-D expert. And I'm sure Bob realizes that the best films in the 1980s 3-D revival were the re-releases of House of Wax and Dial M For Murder.

Shout Factory / Scream Factory officially announced the 3-D version of Amityville 3 in the new box-set slated for October on their Facebook page today, or was it yesterday, although I didn't see the announcement myself. I will be revising and expanding the old 1980s 3-D Revival thread in a few minutes.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Richard--W said:
Shout Factory / Scream Factory officially announced the 3-D version of Amityville 3 in the new box-set slated for October on their Facebook page today, or was it yesterday, although I didn't see the announcement myself.
Looking at Facebook, it was only about an hour ago. Here's the full info:
***BREAKING! AMITYVILLE 3-D NEWS***We can now officially confirm that our upcoming Amityville Horror Trilogy blu-ray box set will include the film AMITYVILLE 3-D (1983) in Blu-ray 3-D!! (2-D version also included too.)To our knowledge, this marks the first time an 80's 3-D film has been presented in a Blu-ray 3-D format. Needless to say, we are very excited about this and hope you will be too.The release is planned for October. More specific details (artwork, extras) will be announced in the Summer.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
"Miss Sadie Thompson", please

The great score by George Duning would really suit Twilight Time and it's large number of Movie Music admirers.
Not quite so sure about The Mad Magician's score by Emil Newman and Arthur Lange.

Rita in 3D, :3dglasses: Wow, so close you could almost reach out and grab her. :wub:

I thought I had read that Sadie Thompson's Stereo tracks were lost?
If true then that would really be a huge disappointment.

Doug.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
It was the first Hollywood production to record in three-channel stereo on location. There are photos with the three boom microphones covering the action.

Sadly, the stereo tracks are lost.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
The David White Co., manufacturers of the Stereo Realist, hosted the midwest premiere of HOUSE OF WAX at the Warner Theatre in Milwaukee on April 18, 1953. Special guests appearing on stage were Gordon MacRae, Paul Picerni and Harold Lloyd.

Anybody have a time machine?

933959_573451549365746_7642.gif

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
I can't believe that Leonard Maltin of all people wrote that miserable piece regarding 3D.

"Those Pesky 3D Glasses"

"So it looks like we are STUCK with 3D"

Very disappointing from someone who should be championing the cause.

At least 3D does gain some publicity from the article even if it tends to be mostly negative.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I think Maltin's point is more about how the 3D becomes cumbersome if its only purpose is to increase the ticket price, which comes across more clearly in statements like "indifferent 3-D discourages people from seeing films like Life of Pi that actually make brilliant, creative use of the medium."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassidylhorne
Recent bookmarks