What's new

GregK

Screenwriter
Brandon Conway said:
I think Maltin's point is more about how the 3D becomes cumbersome if its only purpose is to increase the ticket price, which comes across more clearly in statements like "indifferent 3-D discourages people from seeing films like Life of Pi that actually make brilliant, creative use of the medium."
I concur. 3-D ticket sales accounted for a higher amount of the box office draw before the even steeper 3-D ticket surcharges were added a few years back. But even with today's typically less than 50% 3-D attendance of a given of movie, the added income from the higher ticket prices still brings in a big enough draw where Hollywood sees a continuing money making strategy. When there's enough influence, the 3-D medium can enhance a given feature, while other times (like Harry Potter) it is merely tacked on after the fact with little or no creative effort in order to simply charge higher ticket prices.

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
Doug Bull said:
I can't believe that Leonard Maltin of all people wrote that miserable piece regarding 3D.

"Those Pesky 3D Glasses"

"So it looks like we are STUCK with 3D"

Very disappointing from someone who should be championing the cause.

At least 3D does gain some publicity from the article even if it tends to be mostly negative.
Leonard is a big fan of Cinerama. And for good reason, it's a very effective way to present a movie without those "pesky glasses".

There's a reason why Cameron and Dolby are developing glasses-free 3D. The market is out there.

If 3D is going to continue at a comfortable pace and not become a fad, that segment of the population will need to be satisfied.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
revgen said:
Leonard is a big fan of Cinerama. And for good reason, it's a very effective way to present a movie without those "pesky glasses".

There's a reason why Cameron and Dolby are developing glasses-free 3D. The market is out there.

If 3D is going to continue at a comfortable pace and not become a fad, that segment of the population will need to be satisfied.
I have demonstrated and sold 3D TV's. I have never heard a customer complain about having to wear 3D glasses. They either love or hate 3D. Those that buy it, love the 3D and think wearing the glasses is cool. Others hate it because it gives them headaches, makes them nauseous or they can't see 3D. In fact, I had a number of customers complain that there was something wrong with their 3D TV - nothing was coming out of the screen or not far enough out of the screen. They saw the 3D demo and thought all 3D movies had that effect.

A few customers have said they are waiting for 3D without glasses. When I told them that the 3D will have nothing come out of the screen they were not interested.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
RolandL said:
I have demonstrated and sold 3D TV's. I have never heard a customer complain about having to wear 3D glasses. They either love or hate 3D. Those that buy it, love the 3D and think wearing the glasses is cool. Others hate it because it gives them headaches, makes them nauseous or they can't see 3D. In fact, I had a number of customers complain that there was something wrong with their 3D TV - nothing was coming out of the screen or not far enough out of the screen. They saw the 3D demo and thought all 3D movies had that effect.

A few customers have said they are waiting for 3D without glasses. When I told them that the 3D will have nothing come out of the screen they were not interested.
No-glasses sets are the Flying Cars of the 3D industry: We all want them. They represent The Future. We read in a magazine they were coming someday. We all dream of them when we're stuck in traffic. Some are saying they won't buy a new one until we get them.
But every time you look at a prototype, you realize they AIN'T COMING any darn time SOON.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
In the meantime I'll be more than happy, in fact super enthusiastic to wear Leonard Maltin's "Pesky Glasses"

As a youngster in the late 1940s or early 50s I saw a revival of Pete Smith's anaglyphic :3dglasses: "Audioscopiks"( aka "Metroscopix") at the local Cinema and instantly fell in love with 3D.
I'm still in love with 3D to this day. :wub:

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
525.jpg

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Wow! Thanks Bob, you're a Wiz, that's terrific.
I Love it !!

So it looks as if I must have seen it around 1953. ( I was a bit older than I thought, but then I've always been a bit of a Kid )

I can still remember dodging the baseball.

Sweet memories indeed.
And then along came "Bwana Devil" and I was dodging Lions and Spears.
:blink:

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob

Attachments

• audioscopiks.jpg
    audioscopiks.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 37

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Thanks Bob,
Love the Cinema Treasures link and look, there's that infamous Baseball.
I watched America's Little League in 3D on pay TV last night. (3D looked good but sadly there was nothing to dodge this time)

Not that it's of much importance to anyone outside of Australia, but to the best of my memory "Bwana Devil" was run in Melbourne at either the Hoyts Lyceum or the directly across the street, at the Hoyts Esquire.
My money is on the Lyceum.

Also to any locals on this Forum, I saw "Metroscopix" :3dglasses: at the Camden Cinema in Caulfield. (That I do remember)

Doug.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
My pleasure, Doug.

BWANA opened in Melbourne the first week in June. Unfortunately, Variety did not list the name of the theatre.

Melbourne.JPG

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Bob Furmanek said:
My pleasure, Doug.

BWANA opened in Melbourne the first week in June. Unfortunately, Variety did not list the name of the theatre.

Seeing all of those wonderful movies from that era playing at the same time makes us realize what a rich heritage was available at the local movie house back in those days. Incredible!

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Interestingly I joined U-A in January of 1956, but I don't really remember any prints or merchandising being around the place.
The closest film we had to "Bwana Devil" that I remember was "The Scarlet Spear"

It would be most unusual in those days to junk a Movie in just 2-3 years but maybe it was still there and I've just forgotten.
With Cinema programs (2x features each night) in the suburbs changing twice a week (Thurs-Sat/ Mon-Wed) there was always a demand for revivals.
I remember we still had all of the old Disney UA titles in the vaults. (sadly they were eventually chopped up and buried in the City Dump)

3D News Circa 1953.

3dscan1.jpg

JSul

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Sullivan
Top Banana was on TCM last night, flat 1.37 AR, with some shots having lots of headroom...others, not so much.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Found this amusing piece in a 1953 Newspaper.

bwana joke.jpg

So "Bwana Devil" was shown at the Hoyts Esquire in Melbourne, which was my second guess. (Ah well, you can't get them all right)

Doug.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
It's always good to discover the facts.

I'm really enjoying the clippings Doug, thanks for sharing!

JSul

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Sullivan
Third Dimensional Murder, a 3d short from 1941, was on TCM last night.It was interesting to see the Frankenstein monster, in close to the same makeup that we see in Son of Frankenstein from 1939.Wonder if Universal got any $ for use of their patented Jack Pierce makeup?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks