What's new

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
looking forward to the next round of 3D releases from the archive, have enjoyed every one, i saw the petition thread, and while some might take this the wrong way, i hope not, software ( actual disc) released is going to always be a niche market, Disney all but abandon it, so that the only way to get a release is buy from amazon UK, WB is still actively releasing titles, but they may be retailer exclusives. Universal, well we have Bob and his fine crew to thank for some great releases, along with Kino, and a few others.

The issue at this point is that the actual hardware that we enjoy these titles is getting older, i don't expect a full return anytime soon of the manufactures returning to produce blu ray players or TV's that are 3D for all the years releases, but it would be nice to see one or two to at least release one display that was capable of displaying these in the proper format, without looking on amazon for a now 6-7 year old TV. because stock is limited. and a used item will end up costing more than when it was new.

need to find a good old fashion repair guy at this point, because if the hardware goes out , i guess i am only going to be able to enjoy on the rare occasion , i can set up the projector in the back yard.

Quatermass II

Second Unit
Real Name
John Hayes
I think 3D fans have been well and truly shafted. I don't believe 3D was dying, I think it was the victim of attempted murder - to make way for 4K. I can't think of any time that a format was abandoned without being replaced with something that essentially did the same thing, e.g. VHS by DVD or even vinyl by CD (vinyl seems to be undergoing a resurgence, too!). It's like the suits are trying to tell us that 4K is as good as 3D only without the glasses - like the old fifties CinemaScope ads. And yet, 3d Blu rays keep appearing - and keep selling, while the hardware wears out, unable to be replaced. I, like all the other members of this group, have invested hard-earned £££s or $$$s in 3D Blu ray discs. WTF am I supposed to do with them when my player and TV finally die? Will 3D projectors go the same way as the rest of the hardware, who knows?
Come on manufacturers, give us a break, here - can't we have the occasional 3D TV model or 3D Blu ray player. Would it hurt that much? I BOUGHT YOUR 3D STUFF IN GOOD FAITH - so I'm NOT rushing out to buy your 4K stuff ANYTIME SOON!!!
Sorry about the rant, folks, but that's been on my chest for a long time!

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
They didn't even have to dump 3D "to make way for 4K"- my LG TV does BOTH. 4K being a 2D-only format makes it a non-starter for me anyways. Just hoping SOME new 3D displays come out or a way to add it to others appears before my TV stops working. I won't buy another one that can't show my 3D movies properly. (Hoping to get a projector someday.)

VaporTrail

Grip
Real Name
Bill
Apologies if you've seen me post about this elsewhere in the forum, but I've been watching 3D movies on the Oculus Quest VR headset in SkyBox. No matter how inferior you consider the experience, it's a ready alternative when your equipment dies in future. Just rip your Blu-Ray's and stream them from your PC.

Additionally, some major studios are in talks to stream 3D movies to patrons in the BigScreen movie theater app.

Bob, if you have distribution rights to films you restore, perhaps you'd be interested in speaking with the folks at BigScreen? https://bigscreenvr.com/

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Most of the 4K projectors can also do 3D. 3D will never go away completely.
Fingers crossed, but it seems like some of the new projector announcements in this forum do not include 3D options. Though hopefully unlike TV manufacturers, the projector companies will retain one or two models with the feature, at least.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Top ten 3D projectors from projectorcentral.com.

upload_2019-9-23_14-37-52.png

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Let me check my Powerball ticket and see if I've got an extra million just lying around, one for a space to house that monster and two that monster, oh a man can dream can't he :D
Of course, you could go for the "only" 1080p model, which is "only" 8ft x 4ft, as opposed to the 63ft x 18ft 16K model. Honestly, even if you could afford it, where the hell would you put it? ;)

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Of course, you could go for the "only" 1080p model, which is "only" 8ft x 4ft, as opposed to the 63ft x 18ft 16K model. Honestly, even if you could afford it, where the hell would you put it? ;)
large.jpg

i don't know , know an area that had an old drive -in, it might work, naw because it woud be exposed to the elements. But right the smaller one still would take up an entire room floor to ceiling

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks