RolandL

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Bob mentions two 1980's titles and also MGM titles as possible in the future. Any guess what those titles are?

Camps

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom
A good thing for the producers that the late Ursula K. LeGuin wasn't the litigious type, otherwise Avatar might have been a bit less profitable.
Avatar is undeniably impressive but the blatant story "borrowing" is beyond annoying.
James Cameron must have been grateful that Harlan Ellison didn't write "The Word for World is Forest".
I guess you're referring to similarities between Avatar and LeGuin's 1970 book (later made into a 1980 TV-movie) "The Lathe of Heaven"?

Other than that, were LeGuin and Robert ("Chinatown") Towne familiar with each other's work back in the early '60s? Because it was primarily Towne's story for the 1964 Outer Limits episode "Chameleon" from which OL fan Cameron evidently borrowed (er, "homaged"...) with Avatar.

Towne, like so many others who went on to Hollywood greatness (including, later, Cameron himself), was an alum of Corman University (he wrote the screenplay for 1960's Last Woman on Earth), and the Corman Bros. deserve more credit than they probably get for innovating/incubating so much of what we've come to enjoy in film/TV sci-fi in the decades since.

Last edited:

Jobla

Supporting Actor
Was there any mention of THE BUBBLE (roadshow edition) in the podcast? I'm recovering from surgery, so I'm kind of drifting in and out for the time being.

Reactions: Mike Ballew

SAM33

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stewart
Vintage MGM 3D would only be ARENA and the Pete Smith specialties I believe?

S A M 33

RolandL

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Was there any mention of THE BUBBLE (roadshow edition) in the podcast? I'm recovering from surgery, so I'm kind of drifting in and out for the time being.
Bob mentioned next spring or early summer in previous posts. That might have changed since then.

Reactions: Jobla

Camps

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom
Vintage MGM 3D would only be ARENA and the Pete Smith specialties I believe?

S A M 33
Alas, the only 3D Pete Smith Specialty I can think of is 1941's Third Dimensional Murder, which (like probably most if not all Pete Smith Specialties) is owned by Warner Bros. -- as are most MGM titles from that era, including possibly Arena (long story.... Google it... :) ).

And after their auspicious debut of years ago, Warner Bros. has gone AWOL on the 3D homevid front.

United Artists-released titles from the '50s, on the other hand, typically fall under MGM ownership today. Yes, it's a confusing mess.

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
And after their auspicious debut of years ago, Warner Bros. has gone AWOL on the 3D homevid front.
Perhaps on catalog releases, but they're actually the only studio still releasing current films on domestic 3D blu-ray (most recently with Godzilla: King of the Monsters, Lego Movie 2, and Detective Pikachu).

Reactions: SFMike

Camps

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom
Perhaps on catalog releases, but they're actually the only studio still releasing current films on domestic 3D blu-ray (most recently with Godzilla: King of the Monsters, Lego Movie 2, and Detective Pikachu).
Yes, good clarification that I overlooked since this is the 3D Film Archive (i.e., Golden/Silver-Age 3D) thread. Warners is indeed plenty active in 3D releases of current/recent titles.... but sadly AWOL on Golden Age titles. Long story there....

Camps

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom
Warner’s just re-released Kiss Me Kate 3D and Dial M For Murder 3D through Warner Archive. There might still be some interest for further titles.
Interest externally, for sure. Put me at the top of that list.

The question is, Is there interest internally within Warners to release any of the remaining catalog 3D titles on 3D blu? Re-releases don't get my attention....

phillyrobt

Second Unit
Real Name
Robt C
Reactions: Camps

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I guess you're referring to similarities between Avatar and LeGuin's 1970 book (later made into a 1980 TV-movie) "The Lathe of Heaven"?

Other than that, were LeGuin and Robert ("Chinatown") Towne familiar with each other's work back in the early '60s? Because it was primarily Towne's story for the 1964 Outer Limits episode "Chameleon" from which OL fan Cameron evidently borrowed (er, "homaged"...) with Avatar.

Towne, like so many others who went on to Hollywood greatness (including, later, Cameron himself), was an alum of Corman University (he wrote the screenplay for 1960's Last Woman on Earth), and the Corman Bros. deserve more credit than they probably get for innovating/incubating so much of what we've come to enjoy in film/TV sci-fi in the decades since.
Nope, as mentioned in my post, I'm referring to Ms. LeGuin's novel "The Word for World is Forest" which supplies most of the Avatar story.

Camps

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom
Nope, as mentioned in my post, I'm referring to Ms. LeGuin's novel "The Word for World is Forest" which supplies most of the Avatar story.
I see the book was published in 1972 and "Chameleon" was written/aired in 1964, so I'll give Towne props for being Cameron's first Avatar influence. ;)

mcash007

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
Bob,

Do we have possible release dates for:
Taza, Son of Cochise
Revenge of the Shogun Women

Thanks!

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I see the book was published in 1972 and "Chameleon" was written/aired in 1964, so I'll give Towne props for being Cameron's first Avatar influence. ;)
Not quite. The story/legend of Pocahontas is much earlier, as is the Sand Creek Massacre, (basis of Soldier Blue).

Camps

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom
Not quite. The story/legend of Pocahontas is much earlier, as is the Sand Creek Massacre, (basis of Soldier Blue).
Ah, touche. :thumbs-up-smiley:

You really do have to go back a century or two for any truly novel, unquestionably original idea in storytelling. So much of today's sci-fi, for example, really can be traced all the way back to Wells and Verne.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rania.farrell