What's new

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
To tell the truth, I wouldn't mind an I, The Jury re-boot by Mr. Scorsese. Larry Cohen's 1982 version with Armand Assante was fun but just didn't have much of a Spillane feel.
And film it in 3D since Scorsese has an eye for 3D composition. To bad Hollywood has abandoned us in all their great wisdom.

mcash007

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
About a year ago - after working on IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE for NBCUniversal - I was in a unique position to secure good left/right elements on THE GLASS WEB, WINGS OF THE HAWK and TAZA, SON OF COCHISE in order to create a 3-D master for Blu-ray release.

The Sirk/Boetticher films were proposed to Criterion for 3-D Blu-ray but they had no interest. In addition, Panamint could have licensed it but passed on the Jack Arnold film.

I'd still like to try and make this happen. Can anyone recommend a company in Region 2 that has both a licensing agreement with NBCUniversal AND the wisdom to release three masterful stereoscopic works from those great directors?

View attachment 40717

Bob, Did you ever have any luck with this?

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Ironic, in a way, that it would be such an uphill battle convincing someone to release 3-D films directed by Douglas Sirk, Budd Boetticher and Jack Arnold - and photographed by Russell (Flower Drum Song, Spartacus, Touch of Evil) Metty and Clifford (It Came from Outer Space, Spartacus, Patton) Stine.

Go figure!

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed
Any label should consider themselves privileged and honoured to have the opportunity to debut these titles on 3D-bluray. It's a mark of prestige, in my view. The label that makes it happen will have something unique that sets them apart from the crowd and demonstrates their willingness to go that extra mile, present things as they should be presented, and do right for their customers. Frankly, it should be a bidding war. Any label prepared to take that leap gets massive respect, support, kudos, and loyalty as far as I'm concerned.

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
I'm with you Interdimensional 100%. The work that goes on behind the scenes and dedication is something to be applauded in bringing these 3D classics back to 3D life for movie fans to enjoy.

Its quite a privilege to see stars from the golden years of film production in three dimensional glory literally standing in your living room or home cinema. I quite often when watching these comment after the film what a joy it is to see silver screen stars in 3D looking so alive, no other way to put it.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
Is the 3D good enough to make up for the film? Or is the film so bad, it’s good?

The 3d is good enough. Great depth and separation, and some great pop outs, like the soldiers rifles.

Unfortunately the film is not so bad its good. I had low expectations, and was still letdown. I wasn't expecting king Kong like effects, but I thought maube thered be some forced perspective shots, or some sort of creative effort. Instead its just repeated shots of a guy in a suit alone throwing things down a hill.

There was some campy overacting, but overall kind of disappointing.

But the 3d work is very good, and I'm more than happy to support these fine classic releases.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
I'll agree with Malcolm and Sleroi -- though I'll go a step further: The 3D was relatively breathtaking, especially when viewed in contrast to the content itself. As for the content: execrable.

But note to catalog 3D content and/or rights-holders: We baby-boomer 3D enthusiasts are so hungry for product we'll even buy a stinker like A*P*E. So don't think you won't find a market for your 3D movie.... just make sure you issue it in 3D and be smart about the restoration costs and you'll monetize a product that otherwise is going to sit on your shelf forever taking up space...

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed
I wasn't expecting king Kong like effects, but I thought maube thered be some forced perspective shots, or some sort of creative effort.

Forced perspective wouldn't work in 3-D ... think about it. You can't make subjects look bigger by placing them closer to the camera relative to 'smaller' subjects in the background because the 3-D gives the trick away. Other options are also problematic, I recall maybe one or two optical composites of Ape in the whole film, and you can see why they didn't do more of that! Even later movies like Metalstorm, or Jaws 3D with their big studio backing have all kinds of things go wrong with their optical composite work.

A*P*E tries to solve the problem of human interaction through editing, cutting back and forth - with some well-chosen camera angles and occasional success, some shots that hook up rasonably well, however always undermined by the poor quality of the suit and lifesize ape parts. Perhaps they could've got away with a few flat shots using carefully aligned forced perspective, but I don't think there's really any 2d footage in the whole film.

Visual effects in 3-D would have been particularly difficult in the pre-digital era. For whatever reason, I tend to be drawn to those that do use them, however ineffectively. I probably get more out of A*P*E than the average viewer. As the only 3-D suitmation kaiju movie, it's a definite curiosity. I wish it were a better movie, but I'm glad to have it.

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Is the 3D good enough to make up for the film? Or is the film so bad, it’s good?
The 3D is good enough as long as your expectations are that you are ONLY watching the film for some 3D effects, and are not looking for any quality in the acting, plot or FX. The film is of a quality that would be heckled on Rifftrax or MST3K. But the 3D and pop-outs are some of the best I've seen. It's just too bad it's in service of such an inept film.

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
We love A*P*E (Attacking Primate Monster) so very much here, keeping in mind it was shot in 14 days on a tiny budget in 3D even it is certainly worth buying to put with your 70's 3D collection particularly if you like Ape films. Most of our 3D Blu-Ray collector friends locally own a copy and if you are in the UK look no further than ebay at around £13.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
The raw scans for SANGAREE are in from FotoKem and – as expected – there are variable levels of color fade on the 35mm elements. The multitude of dupe negative opticals (fades, dissolves, etc.) are the most severe.

This was the first 3-D feature to be photographed on Eastmancolor negative film 5248 (25 ASA tungsten) and processed for release printing by Technicolor. The Archive once held an original 1953 dye-transfer 35mm Technicolor print and the opticals were grainy and washed-out, even in that non-faded, first-generation element. In fact, Paramount’s 3-D sneak preview set for April 14, 1953 had to be done flat as Technicolor was not able to deliver the matched left/right 35mm prints.

Clearly, the lab was having problems with these negatives.

Sangaree delayed 4.15.53.JPG

3-D Film Archive Technical Director Greg Kintz and color restoration expert Jack Theakston will be working closely together to restore the original color palette. You can see an example of their preliminary results with this before/after frame of the opening Paramount logo.

On top of color fading, the opticals are very dirty and have been that way since day one. Digital restoration artist Thad Komorowski is warming up in the bullpen and ready to work his outstanding magic on yet another 3-D Film Archive title.

For more information on this important 3-D production, please read this informative article by Hillary Hess: http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/sangaree

Have no fear; SANGAREE in 3-D will shine again!

Sangaree-collage2.jpg

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
Looks nice Bob. The colour fade issue is something film collectors (that's reels of film) live if fear of and so we spend a great deal of time looking at the stock codes down the edge to avoid stock prone to going pink. The other thing is Acetate stock as I have always loved the look of true black and white film when projected here, the down side being Vinegar Syndrome and shrinkage. Its hard to part with a film you have loved for 50 years but some of my reels are degrading which is a shame.:(

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks