What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
Please explain!

I have possibly the last 3D-capable TV set from Samsung -- a 2015 model. They officially discontinued for 2016. I think it's a mistake, but, hey, what do I know?

3D-compatible bluray players are on the wane (don't take my word for it -- look it up on Amazon and see how many are listed as "2015 model").

3D projection equipment may still be widely available, but ask anyone involved in the set business and they'll say 3D TV sets are "dead." (Actually,they've been saying it for years now.)

I see more and more new movies being offered on 4K bluray but not 4K 3D -- and when 3D is offered, it's bundled with regular blurays, presumably because studios are hedging their bets on the longevity of home 3D.

Again, I question the decision, but it is what it is, and it underscores my urgency in seeing a 3D bluray of Robot Monster (and any other '50s titles we can get our hands on) before DVD distributors consider the market to be dead... and it's too late.

That's the point of this thread.

Last edited:

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
I was there for the Robot Monster screening at the 3D Festival at The Egyptian a few years ago, and happened to be in the forecourt at the same time the reunited cast posed for the photo used on the book in post # 2073. I'll be happy to share my photo if Bob has no objections.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
I was there for the Robot Monster screening at the 3D Festival at The Egyptian a few years ago, and happened to be in the forecourt at the same time the reunited cast posed for the photo used on the book in post # 2073. I'll be happy to share my photo if Bob has no objections.

Please share!

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Vizio has also discontinued 3D sets. But LG and Sony still have 3D models at the higher price points.
There might still be a couple high end models with the feature left, I just bought a Sony XBR-75X940D so as to have a 4K 3D capable set before they are discontinued, but the total lack of marketing of the feature makes it non-existent to the public. Just ask a sales person at Best Buy which sets are 3D capable and you will get some strange looks. It's even hard to find in the manufacture's spec sheets. Go to a Sony store and it will appear that 3D never existed. 3D capable sets are not even labeled as such expect in the very small print. So basically 3D has been killed by the TV manufacturers and the studios, led by Disney, are almost as bad. If it wasn't for the Asian market and European distributors I think they might have left already. The next downturn in the economy should kill studio support and only the tech fans here will keep the faith. The only hope I see is VR headsets helping 3D films continue. Watching a 3D feature in your own virtual movie theater without any crosstalk is an exciting experience. Of course you still have to wear something on your head and we all know light weight glasses are always blamed for the dislike of 3D in the media.
3D-VR-Glasses-Mobile-Private-Theater-80-screen-Virtual-Reality-3D-Video-Glasses-Media-Player-Head.jpg_640x640.jpg

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
And, though not specifically promoted, I believe many 4k t.v.'s include the 3D option.

Getting this thread back to the broader point... ;)

It is unarguable that 3D home electronics manufacturing has at best plateau'd and is more likely on the downswing than on the upswing. Fair enough?

Which takes me back to the urgency I would hope other '50s 3D fans share: We need to raise our collective voices to plead with rights holders of '50s 3D titles to work with folks like 3D Film Archive -- or other resources if available/necessary -- to get these titles out on 3D bluray. Before too many people can use the excuse that the market's dried up...

Strike while the iron is hot! Make hay while the sun shines! Or whatever... :D

rdimucci

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert DiMucci
And, though not specifically promoted, I believe many 4k t.v.'s include the 3D option.

Although 4K TVs may be 3-D capable, the Ultra HD Blu-ray spec does not provide for 3-D. So, the only current viable option for disc-based 3-D is standard Blu-ray.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Although 4K TVs may be 3-D capable, the Ultra HD Blu-ray spec does not provide for 3-D. So, the only current viable option for disc-based 3-D is standard Blu-ray.

I don't know that that matters much at this time. With the singular exception of the recent film "Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk" all theatrical 3D DCPs are limited to 2K resolution. Leaving out that one exception, there's no 4K 3D content in existence. It's theoretically possible that the dual 35mm titles from the 50s could be rescanned at 4K to create those masters in 4K, but I don't think it's likely to happen.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
If you crave 3-D pop-out, you can't get much better than EXPERIMENTS IN LOVE on the new 3-D Blu-ray of THE STEWARDESSES.

Shot by Mr. 3D Daniel L. Symmes, this short has off-screen effects in spades!

View attachment 35509

Only just realised that I have this ad which was for the UK release. I suppose I ought to buy the BD it in order to support 3D releases. At least it's easy to buy on line without having the embarrassment of asking for it in person in a store!

img054.jpg

Quatermass II

Second Unit
Real Name
John Hayes
We are thrilled to announce that our new 3-D, widescreen, stereophonic sound restoration of THOSE REDHEADS FROM SEATTLE will premiere on the big screen at the TCM Festival in April and the 3-D Blu-ray from Kino Lorber is coming soon! http://filmfestival.tcm.com/programs/films/those-redheads-from-seattle/
Fantastic news, Bob - it's great to see these classic 3D movies coming back to life one at a time - and getting the restoration treatment they've deserved for so long. Many thanks!

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassidylhorne
Recent bookmarks