What's new

McDonald's drops the one thing that made me eat there again! (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
So tallow is basically animal fat. The fries were fried with animal fat instead of vegetable fat. Hmmmm, neat. I love when even things like french fries are no longer vegetarian. :D

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
I generally agree with people who don't like eating at McDonald's - I find it pretty bland. I really don't understand the generally held belief that McDonald's fries are the best - I much prefer BK's.

I do, however, like to get a Sausage Buscuit Egg every once in a while for breakfast. I like the flaky buscuit. I do also make special trips when I see the McRibb available.

Otherwise I always steer towards a BK or Wendy's.

Mark me down as someone who loves and misses the chilli chesse burrito/chilito. I'd forgotten what it was called prior to the chilli cheese burrito.

Right now it's hard to beat Wendy's menu for menu with consideration of price- 2 bacon cheeseburgers, medium drink and a baked potato for around $5.

Jonathan_

Second Unit
I wish Wendy's would bring back the Smokey Bacon Cheeseburger. They haven't had that around here in years. I would eat there everyday if they would bring that back. But like Bob said it's probably better for me that they didn't.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Precisely because limited availability drives up sales when it's available.

I wish it would return here, but it never will: McDonald's here is now certified as "halal", the Muslim equivalent of "kosher", which means they'll never serve anything with pork in it. Bacon in other regular menu items was replaced with turkey bacon, which just isn't the same. Likewise with Burger King. Sigh. And Wendy's pulled out of here years ago,

At least Carl's Jr just set up shop here. Although here their food is significantly more expensive than McD or BK -- is it the same in the US?

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Not that extreme Mark, after all "hamburgers" by definition are beef, which they still serve, and of course chicken and fish. I'm sure this has been the case all along in Muslim countries like Indonesia and Malaysia, but several years ago the Singapore franchisee decided to go that route here too, presumably to ensure that our Muslim friends can eat there as well.

I wonder if either Malaysia or Indonesia has rib joints like Tony Roma's or Dan Ryan's? It would be quite odd if they do but due to local considerations they only serve beef ribs and not the usual staple of those franchises.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Yee-Ming, where do you live? Carl's Jr is more expensive than the other burger fast food places in the U.S., but I think their food is worth the extra cost.

~T

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Singapore. Just noticed, the "location" tag that used to appear on the left has disappeared, presumably with the new revisions that now allow members to use nicknames as long as real names are included.

Mine used to say "on a little street in Singapore", which would've answered your question.

And yes, I agree Carl's Jr is is better than the two other burger joints, but on average a meal there is about double the cost of one at either McD or BK, making it relatively quite pricey. And the fries still aren't as good as McD's.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yee:

Click on User CP...Edit Profile...and scroll down to where it says location. Before you know it...you'll be back on a little street in Singapore ;) :emoji_thumbsup:

:D

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I don’t remember ever seeing one in KL, but there were a couple of Tony Roma’s in Jakarta (don’t know if they stayed in business after the last unpleasantness however).

I suppose that the ability to cater to the Muslim community in Singapore outweighed the importance of a bacon cheeseburger (I never much cared for the idea of bacon on my burger in any case). After all, KFC had been Halal for years and I expect that they were getting too big a market share.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi

True. The regular fries aren't that good but the Crisscut Fries are very good.

~T

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
There are a few halal McDs in Dearborn, MI as well. From a business perspective it certainly makes sense to cater to local sensibilities.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Exactly what they said when they explained the switch. It's easy for KFC to be halal, since their mainstay is chicken anyway.

As an aside, I understand that in effect most, if not all, beef and mutton produced in Australia (and maybe NZ) is slaughtered halal fashion, so that it may be exported to Muslim countries without needing differentiation, even though meat for their own market and non-Muslim countries need not be halal. I guess it's easier for them to go "all halal" rather than keep track of which meat is and which isn't. Or it might be something about the halal licensing of the abbattoirs (maybe you can't have non-halal meat on the premises). Similarly, it seems all chicken here is halal (can't remember seeing non-halal chicken anywhere).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks