What's new

McDonald's drops the one thing that made me eat there again! (1 Viewer)

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
If you ever find yourself in Texas, stop by a McDs. The Texas Homestyle Burger is still a menu staple down here (at least in the Houston area). I agree, it's the best burger they've ever made.

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
I must not be very adventerous, because I've always ordered the two cheeseburger meal with an orange drink when I went to McDonald's. I haven't been there in a long time, but it actually sounds good right now!

As for other fast food places..... Cook Out and Fire House Subs are my choice of so good but bad for you foods! I always get the cheeseburger tray with hush puppies and a shake at Cook Out and a the Hook and Ladder fully involved at Fire House Subs.

GREAT NOW I AM HUNGRY!!!! :)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
For some reason, people find it odd that I usually order a cheeseburger and a hamburger. I love them both! and when I'm in the mood for McD's, the regular cheese/hamburgers do just fine. :emoji_thumbsup:

Although, I've always loved the fish sandwiches! Mmmm! With the gallon of tarter sauce on top!!!! :D

Actually, speaking of fish sandwiches - I wish Wendy's still made them. When I worked at Wendy's (back in the early 90's), I used to get those fish sandwiches all the time. Damn they were good!

Remember the old Wendy's fish commercial where the old sea captain was making fun of McDonald's fish by knocking the fact that it was 'square'? Something like "Who's ever seen a square fish before?" :D

EDIT: I couldn't find the video but I found a site that quoted the commercial - it was "So how does a square fish swim?" :D

E

Eric Kahn

Hate to bust your bubble, they did away with the beef tallow over 10 years ago, which is why I will not eat their fries anymore

Stan

Senior HTF Member
After 5 years of not patronizing a McDonalds, I broke down and tried one out last month. It was early an Saturday morning, nothing else was open, but I'll never do it again, the food quality was pathetic.

Ordered a coffee, served lukewarm. Also a Sausage Egg McMuffin, served cold. Not like it was actually cooked and just cooled down, the cheese hadn't even melted, it was a solid piece of cheese fresh out of the refrigerator. Apparently they must prep these things and toss them in a microwave before serving, only they forgot to give mine the final microwave zap.

And it's not like they were busy, it was 7:00 a.m. on a Saturday, nobody in front of me or behind me in the drive through, they were just lazy ass slackers. Didn't notice until I got to work, about a three minute drive, but no time to call back and complain. They'll just never get my business again.

Used to enjoy their McRib (the few times it was available) and some of their salads (until some corporate nitwit decided to serve them in cups), but their service and inconsistent quality just lost me as a customer.

Maybe they'll go the way of Burger King, slowly dropping off the map due to their lousy service and food quality.

Dropping the Spicy Chicken Sandwich is typical of McDonalds. They've actually had some pretty good items on their menu over the years, but they always seem to disappear after a while. It's business, it's understandable, but I'm one of the customers who enjoyed those items.

I gave up years ago, I'm no longer a customer, especially after my last experience.

Joel C

Screenwriter

I thought I was the only one! I was very sad when they dumped it. They don't even have bacon anymore, do they? I liked the buns a lot too.

I have eaten at McD's 2 times in 2006, and each time was one time too many — that food does something bad to my stomach.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

Not quite. :) They still flavor their fries with beef tallow which is causing a bit of controversy, even though they are cooked in 100% vegetable oil.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of Taco Bell, I miss a couple of things: the Taco BellGrande, and the "Taco Light," which was not low-cal as the name implied but utilized a light flaky shell (similar to that of the taco salad?). They did away with those about twenty years ago.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
I remember when they developed 'The Big Extra' which was supposed to compete with 'The Whopper' (Which is a much bigger and better burger than anything MCD's offers) A few yeasr later - to increase profits - they reduced the size of 'The Big Extra' and made it "A Little Less" - which pretty much sums up McD's against BK and others...

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
Taco Bell ruined their Chicken Soft Taco about 10 years ago, when they moved it to the "Lite" menu...they made a fundamental change to the flavor of the chicken or sauce at this point, and they never got the original flavor back, even when they did away with their "Lite" menu. Now I call it the Chicken Soap Taco because it has a "soapy" taste to me.

I wish Wendy's would make the Bacon Mushroom Melt a permanent part of their menu! Then again, it's probably better for my arteries if they don't.

Scott_Sch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
Huge chili cheese burrito fan here as well. Used to be the one staple of my Taco Bell order every single time....then they dumped it. I think I seriously went through withdrawals. Couple of months ago I moved to Virginia and my wife and I stopped at a Taco Bell by our new house. I was about the order something and my wife goes..."They have chili cheese burrito on the menu!"...aside from my wedding, that was the best day of my life (don't worry, no kids yet). Anyway...thats my pathetic story.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
The McRib's always been a temporary item though- they bring it out "for a limited time only" then take it away for a few months again. Not sure what the point of that is, but at least they tell you up front. Regular menu items on the other hand stay available year-round, provided of course they don't get yanked in which case they're usually gone forever.
It really seems like McDonald's likes to specialize in food devoid of flavor. Other fast-food places have dumped things I liked as well, but at least they still had other stuff or brought out something new that was good- McDonald's is just plain boring. I used to love it when I was younger, but it's simply unspectacular to me now. Certainly not worth risking your health over, if their stuff is really as bad for you as some say it is. My choices are limited since I just get 30 minutes for lunch and there isn't a lot around here, but I've survived so far. Just think it's funny they'd bring out something that actually gets me to go there more often, almost getting me addicted, then taking it away all of a sudden while keeping all the other boring crap they've got.

JamesED

Second Unit
Damn you McDonald's. I noticed the Spicy Chicken wasn't on the menu last week, and I see my fears confirmed. I thought it was a good sandwich. It wasn't a rip off of Wendy's, it was good in its own right.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
man if mcds were cooking in tallow I'd be all over their fries, too bad they went with veggie oil which oxidizes and gets rancid faster (no one ever wants to replace oil at fast food joints), they just let it get old and nasty resulting in blah fries, though I've found mcds is better than many at keeping their oil fresher. It's also harder on the digestion with veggie oil.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
what the bleep is tallow and why does anyone even know what it is

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
from Wikipedia:

Tallow is rendered beef or mutton fat, processed from suet.

The tallow derived from beef is called stearin. Unlike suet, tallow can be stored for extended periods without the need for refrigeration to prevent decomposition, provided it is kept in an airtight container to prevent oxidation.

It is used in animal feed, to make soap, for cooking, as a bird food, and was once used for making candles. It can be used as a raw material for the production of biodiesel and other oleochemicals.

Industrially, tallow is not strictly defined as beef or mutton fat. In this context, tallow is animal fat that conforms to certain technical criteria, including its melting point, which is also known as titre. It is not uncommon for commercial tallow to contain fat derived from other animals, such as swine.

At McDonald's restaurants, french fries used to be fried in 93% beef tallow and 7% cottonseed oil.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Tony, I didn't know either. Looked it up in the dictionary. It is hard fat from sheeps, cattle, or horses.

~T

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks