What's new

Maverick (Mel Gibson version) DVD Special Edition anytime soon? (1 Viewer)

A favorite of mine that I would like to see as a special edition. Will Warner Brothers ever update this one.....this year maybe?

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
I was just thinking about this one also while looking at my collection today. Its one of my fav movies

capt

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Poor transfer? It has been a while since I've watched my copy of it, but last time I did watch it, I dont remember thinking the transfer was poor. I would say its consistent with Warners typical 16x9 transfers.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
The transfer isn't too bad, but I have seen better. Sound is not 5.1, just 2 channel Dolby surround.
This great comedy cries out for an SE, with a new transfer and multiple commentaries, especially one by the cast.

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
I also love this movie, and would replace my current copy with a S.E if it came out...in fact, I think I'll watch it right now...

dave bula

Stunt Coordinator
A Graham Greene commentary would be good for Maverick. But I'd especially like to see one by Randy Newman, who composed the score. On Randy's commentary for Pleasantville, he had some very interesting yet unfavorable things to say about his experience working with the Maverick director, calling him "Dickwad Donner." You could be certain that his commentary would not be dull. :)

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
Better yet, put Newman and Donner in the same room
at the same time and let them go at it.:D
I've been thinking about getting this as a Wal-Mart
cheapie ($9.44), but I'm holding out for a special
edition.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
On Randy's commentary for Pleasantville, he had some very interesting yet unfavorable things to say about his experience working with the Maverick director, calling him "Dickwad Donner."
Really? Most everyone I've ever heard talk about Donner loves him. What did he do that Randy didn't like?

dave bula

Stunt Coordinator
Really? Most everyone I've ever heard talk about Donner loves him. What did he do that Randy didn't like?
It's been several years since I listened to that commentary and I don't remember the details of why Randy felt the way he did, or if he even said. I just remember being struck by his candor and what he called Donner. You can hear it for yourself if you have a copy of Pleasantville.

It's worth noting that the two of them never worked together again after Maverick. Newman also made a humorous self-effacing comment about how there weren't that many directors who had worked with him more than once. But they sure do love him at Pixar, where he did Toy Story 1 & 2, Bug's Life, and Monsters, Inc. He'll also be scoring their next film, Cars.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks