What's new

Matsushita preps 100GB DVD disc (1 Viewer)

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
Not sure if this is the most correct forum, but I looked at the others and didn't see anywhere better to stick this, so forgive me if I'm wrong.
Matsushita preps 100GB DVD disc
By Matthew Broersma
ZDNet (UK)
October 19, 2001 5:40 AM PT
Japan's Matsushita Electric Industrial has developed a two-sided optical rewritable disc that can store 100GB. The technology used would make DVD compatibility difficult, but Matsushita hopes the format will be used for the next generation of DVD discs.
The disc could store more than two hours of high-definition video and could also be used for data. Matsushita said it would present its research on Friday at the International Symposium on Optical Memory in Taipei, Taiwan. Mainstream DVDs store about 4.7GB per disc.
Full article (more text) available at ZDNet News .

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
If they're going to use 100GB, perhaps they could make P&S an easter egg. :)
Sounds interesting, but would be far more useful at this point as a backup medium.

Jamie E

Stunt Coordinator
I'm much more excited by http://www.c-3d.net Release the hounds!
smithers2.gif

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
FMD's have been hinted at for some time now. While it seems like a great product (and the correct one to introduce HD-DVD), it still looks to be years out of development. I would rather wait for that than trying to adopt a new standard for encoding for DVD right now. Making alot of DVD players obsolete is not a wise move. I mean, we all want to get our hands on a HD-DVD as soon as possible, but not at the sacrifice of our current gear.
Bruce
------------------
mstprev.gif

Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
I am not worried about a format better than becoming widely availble and well supported by the studios anytime soon. The studios are not going to support an HD-DVD technology until they have milked DVD for all it is worth, and it will be a while before they will feel they have done that.
------------------
My DVD's
If a movie is not available in OAR, than it might as well not be available at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks