What's new

MasterChef (1 Viewer)

DaveHof

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
Nothing on MasterChef in here? Or did I just not scroll down far enough? I like the show and I'm glad it's back for another season. It has the Gordon Ramsay I enjoy watching - acerbic but supportive, unlike the screaming lunatic on 'Hell's Kitchen.'
Having said that, I thought Max was unfairly dismissed last week. Sure, he's a spoiled, arrogant punk, but his skills were consistently superior to those of Christina, the drama queen with the mouth like a sewer.
As someone whose cooking skills are rudimentary at best, I am always impressed by the creativity of the contestants, and how one ingredient change can doom an otherwise successful dish. Looking forward to the rest of the season.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
This is one of Ramsay's better shows.
Sorry to see Max go so soon. He was a complete asshole and I would have enjoyed a few more weeks of him. Surprised they didn't keep him just for the ratings.
Just now watching the most recent episode, but nobody stands out like he did.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
It's light. I still can't get over that the first season winner came in with no boyfriend and "struggled dating" at University of Mississippi.. what is wrong with the south when a hot brunette who cooks like a banshee struggles in the dating world? What is wrong with those slack jawed locals down there? :)

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
I like this show too, and totally agree about Max. My wife and I both laugh at Joe the judge because he comes off as so condescending at times. We ate at one of his restaurants (Del Posto) in NYC last year...beautiful place, great food, left hungry.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
We're watching it as well. And even though we didn't like Max, we wanted him to stay around for a while as the villain.

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
beautiful place, great food, left hungry
I had a good friend with a "4 Star" Italian restaurant - and was giving him crap on why his place was not a 5 star....
He said "I like to feed people, and leave them full and happy - so my portion sizes are considered too big to be a 5 star"

DaveHof

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
Pretty good show tonight. Christina's temper tantrums are getting old, but getting a 100% vote in a dish challenge is pretty amazing. I haven't picked out anyone yet to support this year, as I did last season with Whitney.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Martino
d a good friend with a "4 Star" Italian restaurant - and was giving him crap on why his place was not a 5 star....
He said "I like to feed people, and leave them full and happy - so my portion sizes are considered too big to be a 5 star"
That sounds about right! I've only eaten in a few 5 star restaurants and left hungry every time.

Dave, I feel the same way. Whitney was impossible not to like and root for....I enjoyed seeing Suzy finally realize she's not the best cook in the kitchen. With a little humble pie, she's almost likeable.

DaveHof

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
The cruelty factor definitely got dialed up tonight! Looks like Christian has become the top heel on the show, but we still don't have an engaging underdog to pit him against. Maybe Ben? He's becoming one of my favorites, but I'm not sure he has the skills to go all the way.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Ben is the most likable. I don't know if he has the talent to go all the way, but he's easily the "good guy" left in the kitchen

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Christian, although the bad boy on the show, has the type of personality to run one of Ramsey's restaurants. Ben, though likeable, didn't have the backbone.

DaveHof

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
I'm pretty sure a lot of Ramsay's volatility is for the cameras. You can't run a successful business, much less a chain of elite restaurants, by yelling like a maniac at your staff every day. I think the Ramsay of "Kitchen Nightmares" is the one that's closest to what he's like in the real world.
I was sorry to see Ben go as well, but I never really thought he had a shot at the title. I'm starting to like Suzy's chances, even if she is the Tracy Flick of MasterChef.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Supposedly, he hams it up much more on the American versions of his shows than on the UK versions. Maybe someone who gets BBC America can verify that. :)

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman
Supposedly, he hams it up much more on the American versions of his shows than on the UK versions. Maybe someone who gets BBC America can verify that.
Ramsay is quite different on his UK shows than he is on most of his US shows. Specifically, his persona on Hell's Kitchen seems completely removed from what he's like on Kitchen Nightmares UK and the F Word. Kitchen Nightmares USA is probably his best "Americanized" persona, as it's confrontational when needed (eg when the owner is a total jerk), supportive when needed, and even a little sweet at times. My guess is Fox has asked him to ramp it up for Hell's Kitchen and MasterChef.

DaveHof

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
Anyone watching this season? This past week's episodes were reminders of how frustrating reality TV can be sometimes. Anna goes home, essentially because David Martinez can't get burgers on a grill in time. And then he survives elimination again even after Joe dumps his plate in the trash! Really?!!
Still, it's been another entertaining season. I have tremendous admiration for Christine, and she may win if that brings the most promotion to the Master Chef brand. But I'd like to see Felix or Monty take top honors.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
I'm watching Dave. I'm almost surprised to say this, but Master Chef has become one of my favorite shows. I like that they keep the personality clashes to a minimum. It's funny that you mentioned the exact 3 people I'd like to see win. I wouldn't mind Frank winning either as he's a local guy from our area. Have you noticed that other than getting yelled at by Ramsey, Felix gets virtually no camera time? My wife and I were wondering why that is. Boring food, or boring person? Or both?

DaveHof

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
Felix had a nice moment when she could have skipped an elimination challenge but participated anyway. Gordon asked 'Are you serious?' and she replied "Abso-fu**in'-lutely." That got my attention! I agree that one of the show's strengths is in focusing as much, if not, more, on the skills of each chef, and downplaying the sniping that you would find on lesser reality shows. If I have one gripe, it's how they try to ratchet up the tension before each commercial break by cutting off a judgment mid-sentence.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks